1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Flex Wheeler was robbed on several occasions, just my .02. I digress

1 person likes this.
  2. tricky

tricky Senior member

(big time)

3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Front side of yesterday's purchase:

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  4. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

^^

Finally! Congrats man, nice lug holes and SD looks perfect ;)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

There it is.

Excellent, Congrats!!

6. tricky

tricky Senior member

What a beauty - congrats!!!

7. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited about this one. Y serial, unpolished and full kit. Box/papers and tool kit with unused long divers extension.

8. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

9. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

That's just perfect, man. Wonderful purchase! :D

More pics please...

10. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Thanks! :) Don't have many more pics, yet. I'll start collecting them soon. Although I know you guys hate seeing pics of the same watch all the time...... :lurk:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

^ awesome - really defines 'tool watch'. Great find. Enjoy.

12. Novelty77

Novelty77 Well-Known Member

Love the blue strap! goes very well with the dial! china pride eh? Y is the crown protruding out?
    Quote:
    Very nice! suits u very well. is your wrist 7" and larger?
    Wow, I can't imagine what kind of pants and shoes u paired with the blue floral shirt and hulk...

WOTD
    [​IMG]

13. no frills

no frills Senior member

Congratulations! At your risk, please post pictures of this same watch again! Hahahah!

Does that "hump back" bother you at all at the end of a day's wear? Not me.

1 person likes this.
  14. mimo

mimo Senior member

Summer rubbers for maximum protection and comfort...two new arrivals from Hirsch: the "Robby" rubber-lined canvas with perforations, for the Spezimatic Weltzeit - I'm really liking how the curve of the strap complements the case shape, and the perforations give it that sporty seventies feel. And a natural caoutchouc number in contrasting blue, for the Orange Monster. Really comfortable, though slightly fatter than stated size between the lugs - I wonder if that's deliberate?

Anyway, very happy with these two: it seems to me that there are bargains to be had with the Poor Man's Watches, but with straps, maybe you get what you pay for?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    2 people like this.
  15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Thank you. My wrist is right around 7" or right above.

Thanks, Frills. Haven't even noticed the hump back. Starting with my 36mm Explorer, I began wearing my watch on the tighter side. I used to wear all my Subs loose so when I would have my arm down, my watch would slide over my wrist bone and onto my hand. The EXP was so comfortable I didn't know if it was just because of the lightness or just the way I was wearing it. Yes, the EXP was light and contributed to it, but I decided to size the SD on the tighter side and what a difference it made compared to my other Subs. The watch stays above my wrist bone and settles into the top of my wrist. So much more comfortable than having the watch flopping around.

You can see how I used to wear my SubC:

[​IMG]

Compare that to the above pic of the SD and you can see how it's settling into my wrist. Much more comfortable. I'm sure the SubC would have been just as comfortable if I wore it tighter as well. Never tried it. Maybe when I get the LV-C....

16. no frills

no frills Senior member

You and I went through a similar evolution. I liked wearing my watches slightly loose in the beginning, which didn't bother me for lighter pieces like the 114270 and my 5711, but once I got the ones with heavier heads I wanted them to stay put on my wrist. A real requirement for that heaviest biggest head of all - the DSSD. If for some reason you can't size the bracelet properly (which would be quite a feat considering you can play around with link + diver's extension combinations PLUS that bad a** adjustable glidelock clasp), that DSSD is just never going to feel comfortable with its head flopping around.

Congratulations again on the pick-up! Hard to ignore the Siren Song of that Beast indeed!

1 person likes this.
  17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Looks great! Congrats on your SD. Its a classic. My dad had one years ago, and it might be one of the few watches he regrets having traded. Who knows maybe your photos will inspire him to go the vintage route next. Again, great choice enjoy it !!![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Thanks, Dino. I've been wanting an SD since 2007 when I bought my first Sub, but couldn't swing the SD. I've gone through the whole range of Subs since. I have gotten over my pre-owned watch "phobia" and this allowed me to finally pick up a watch that was discontinued without having to go the NOS safe queen, double the retail price route. I am quite pleased and I plan to enjoy this for the remainder of this year and send it in for service early '16.

1 person likes this.
  19. no frills

no frills Senior member

Nice SMP!

I started lifting during Lee Haney's era, so I lived through those years when he dueled with Rich Gaspari (was Rich robbed, or did Lee's superior proportions really carry the day?), etc. Lee Labrada is still going strong today with his supplement line, still looking jacked.

Love how Ronnie worked full time till he won his first Olympia or two. Not sure I want him to be arresting me...

Agree.

I was waiting for you to comment on that generalization of mine! [​IMG]

20. no frills

no frills Senior member

Then this SD has been almost a decade in the making! Congratulations raised to the tenth power!

Your SD's modern sister says hello!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.