1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

People that collect watches are two steps removed from people that collect old Sega videogames.

How about "Tranformers?"

- B

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

People that collect watches are two steps removed from people that collect old Sega videogames.

Don't you have a drunk dwarf convention to attend rather than shitting up my thread?

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

You can dress him up but..................

4. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

5. vbuskirk

vbuskirk Senior member

:fistpump:

Hadn't seen the 'Sega videogames' thread yet. Where is it ...

6. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Am I the only one who doesn't like Breitling?

Not a fan, either.

7. Alfa

Alfa Senior member

Not a fan, either.
    I agree that their current offerings are really atrocious, but the stuff from the 60's, for my tastes at least, are really excellent. [​IMG] [​IMG] I am a sucker for vintage carreras as well, especially with "panda-eye" subdials. [​IMG] My own small-timer post - Carrera Twin-time and an Oris XXL Worldtimer. Currently looking for an 1808 chrono-matic as shown above or perhaps a 1045 Omega Speedmaster. [​IMG]

8. anon

anon Senior member

those Carreras are sweet! What do they go for, if you don't mind me asking?

9. timewaster

timewaster New Member

You kidding me? Look at the Midi 04.0 in Rose Gold:
    [​IMG]

10. timewaster

timewaster New Member

Ah, crap, meant to reference an earlier "Dornblueths are for dorks..." post...maybe I proved their point. Anyways, elegant, simple, beautiful, hard to find that without going Patek...

11. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

I agree that their current offerings are really atrocious, but the stuff from the 60's, for my tastes at least, are really excellent. [​IMG] This one ain't bad. [​IMG] This one is very nice. My own small-timer post - Carrera Twin-time and an Oris XXL Worldtimer. Currently looking for an 1808 chrono-matic as shown above or perhaps a 1045 Omega Speedmaster. [​IMG]
    Two tasteful Tag Heuers in one thread. Is the thread long enough, I wonder.

12. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

DVICE NEEDED: Does anyone know about these things? Its a vintage--circa ???????????? (pls share!!) IWC Pocket watch in Rose gold. Looks like a million bux but would anyone have an idea of actual value?? I would use it as a desk clock...... its WOW in person, I just don't know much about these bad boys. Can anyone tell if its IWC proprietary movement? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^^ That is from the 19th century. I'm not a vintage expert, but that movement, with its extra long regulator needle, is almost certainly a genuine IWC "Jones" caliber. The plate configuration looks identical to that of the other Jones calibers I've seen and the dial looks correct. On the face, I see no reason to doubt the watch's authenticity.

However, your best best is to join the Collector's Forum at IWC's official site (iwc.ch) and ask the experts there.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I agree that their current offerings are really atrocious, but the stuff from the 60's, for my tastes at least, are really excellent.

I'm also a fan of the vintage Breitlings.

15. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

ADVICE NEEDED:

Does anyone know about these things? Its a vintage--circa ???????????? (pls share!!) IWC Pocket watch in Rose gold. Looks like a million bux but would anyone have an idea of actual value??

I would use it as a desk clock...... its WOW in person, I just don't know much about these bad boys.

Can anyone tell if its IWC proprietary movement?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Um wow.

16. mafoofan

Um wow.
    If only you were cool with collecting watches, you could get one for yourself . . .

17. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

^^^ That is from the 19th century. I'm not a vintage expert, but that movement, with its extra long regulator needle, is almost certainly a genuine IWC "Jones" caliber. The plate configuration looks identical to that of the other Jones calibers I've seen and the dial looks correct. On the face, I see no reason to doubt the watch's authenticity.

However, your best best is to join the Collector's Forum at IWC's official site (iwc.ch) and ask the experts there.

I'm not doubting the authenticity at all, rather, the value of a piece like this compared to the ask.

the guy is trustworthy, but he is a salesman (takes on to know one [​IMG] ) and I'm just trying to set the bar of how much it might cost +/- say, $500-$1k

18. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I'm not doubting the authenticity at all, rather, the value of a piece like this compared to the ask.

the guy is trustworthy, but he is a salesman (takes on to know one [​IMG] ) and I'm just trying to set the bar of how much it might cost +/- say, $500-$1k

How much is he asking for this? And didn't you just buy a watch!? [​IMG]

19. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

Too much I think lol. I can't disclose the price yet, Cause I haven't got a solid answer about it. Were kicking each others tires righb now. I did just buy a watch but this would be a clock for the office [​IMG]
    How much is he asking for this? And didn't you just buy a watch!? [​IMG]

20. mafoofan

I was just answering your question about whether it's a legitimate IWC movement. I have no idea what its value is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.