• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ That does not look genuine to me. It looks like it's trying to be a 15300. The bezel screws are off. Not flat enough. The AP is not large enough, the seconds hand is not right. I don't ever recall seeing a seconds hand model with the numbered minute indecies. I thought that was only on the Jumbo. (I could be wrong there). And if it is mocking a 15300, the dial should be silver...not white.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Right then, a challenge for you proper nerds: simply, is this a fake?
I was shown this the other day, and something smelt off right from the beginning. Firstly, whichever angle I looked at it, the dial didn't seem to be sitting vertically. Still doesn't here. Secondly, the finish on the bracelet and case just wasn't as "sharp" as I feel on any other RO. I could put it down to its being used, but it didn't seem right. And now I've compared this pic to several others on sale, there are a couple of other things: the nuts in the bezel don't look right - not flat or precise enough. Also, although I've seen versions with and without the numbered minute markers, those with also seem to have a black border around the date window, and those without, not. This is half and half. And most of all, it has a solid caseback when I thought that was just the chronos, and it felt a touch light.
Sorry it's just one poor pic, but I have faith in you. Educate me, AP masters. Is this a naughty fake? If so, I might be about to cause some trouble...
Well, I'm no AP master, but it looks like it could be a 14790 model. What reference number is on the back?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Well, I'm no AP master, but it looks like it could be a 14790 model. What reference number is on the back?

Good call! That does address most of my issues. The bezel screws still do not look good, though, to me. Unless it is older, maybe.

Last edited:

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a silly question: was there a 39mm version? I was looking around and can only see 33 and 36...(the one in TC's link is the latter)

*Edit: also, although I can't remember the reference etc on the caseback, the clasp was different - same sliding mechanism but with that AP logo thing going on when you open it.

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, the 14790 was a 36-mm-only watch. It's a substantial size with that case design, however; it isn't a small watch and it doesn't look like one, either.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the one on my wrist in the pic is 39mm. This is most educational!

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Im probably one of the few who feels this way, but I love the GV Milgauss and the new blue dial / GV combo is really vibrant, to me. Id pick one of these up before I went for a DJ or an Explorer:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
And some simple-minded souls who tend to fall for anything blue. That is the bestest Milgauss. No doubt.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pardon my French but motherf*cker:

esetu9a9.jpg

I tried to preserve its dimensions after crushing it, and laid it out over my SubC ND:

a2unusu2.jpg

WTF.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
freaking love that blue/greem milgaus. saw it in person once. :drool:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Milgauss is great and I think it gets passed over a lot by first time Rolex buyers. I passed it over but it was due to the Sub/GMT range and not the DJ/Explorer range. The lightning bolt felt a little gimmicky but the green crystal and bits of orange made you want to stare at it. It is a good rotational watch but I don't know how I would feel about it being an everyday watch.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Ive heard the Milgauss is really heavy, on account of the Faraday cage? Or is it just a little heavier than a standard sub on a bracelet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads