• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back again to get help on deciding what to buy. For reference I just bought an oyster bracelet smooth bezel silver dial stick marker 36mm Datejust. Looking for something more sporty/casual to alternate it with. My requirements are:

• It's on bracelet and versatile for dressing up and down
  • Can be found under 4k relatively easily
  • Not too thick as I wear long sleeve dress shirts for work
  • Doesn't exceed 40-42mm, as I don't like big watches and have relatively small wrists (6 3/4")

1) Rolex Explorer 114270- I probably would have pulled the trigger already on this, but I cannot find one locally to confirm I love it in person. On the web I am a huge fan- beautiful, uncluttered dial, sporty looking but can be dressed up, a real classic in my mind. I do like the case/bracelet/size of the 39mm but it exceeds my budget and I hate the white gold 3/6/9. My concern is that it would wear too similar to the DJ and isn't as much contrast as you'd want with a 2 watch collection. Again, it's also impossible to find locally so I am having to rely on comparison pics with the newer DJ to have a feel for how it wears. No date is a small but notable pain point.

2) Omega Planet Ocean 2500- the 8500 version is out as it's too thick and I don't like the ceramic bezel. It's been a couple of years since I have seen one in person but I remember loving it, it's one of the very few divers that 'bring it all together' for me. My qualm is that I don't love it as much as the Explorer and I think I really would prefer something that disappears on the wrist, this would be a stark contrast in weight.

Two very different watches, yes, but I am torn...

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BBB - What about a Tudor Ranger on a bracelet? It is similar to the Explorer I

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back again to get help on deciding what to buy. For reference I just bought an oyster bracelet smooth bezel silver dial stick marker 36mm Datejust. Looking for something more sporty/casual to alternate it with. My requirements are:
  • It's on bracelet and versatile for dressing up and down
  • Can be found under 4k relatively easily
  • Not too thick as I wear long sleeve dress shirts for work
  • Doesn't exceed 40-42mm, as I don't like big watches and have relatively small wrists (6 3/4")

1) Rolex Explorer 114270- I probably would have pulled the trigger already on this, but I cannot find one locally to confirm I love it in person. On the web I am a huge fan- beautiful, uncluttered dial, sporty looking but can be dressed up, a real classic in my mind. I do like the case/bracelet/size of the 39mm but it exceeds my budget and I hate the white gold 3/6/9. My concern is that it would wear too similar to the DJ and isn't as much contrast as you'd want with a 2 watch collection. Again, it's also impossible to find locally so I am having to rely on comparison pics with the newer DJ to have a feel for how it wears. No date is a small but notable pain point.

2) Omega Planet Ocean 2500- the 8500 version is out as it's too thick and I don't like the ceramic bezel. It's been a couple of years since I have seen one in person but I remember loving it, it's one of the very few divers that 'bring it all together' for me. My qualm is that I don't love it as much as the Explorer and I think I really would prefer something that disappears on the wrist, this would be a stark contrast in weight.

Two very different watches, yes, but I am torn...
The 114270 wears the same as a 36mm DJ. They are the same dimensions and roughly the same thickness, although the Ex1 might be a tad slimmer if one counts the fact that it does not have a cyclops magnifier on the crystal. I really liked my 114270. Its a very clean looking watch, it flies under the radar and can be worn with casual clothes or a suit if necessary.

The dials are very different - silver with sticks and a date v. black dial with Arabic numerals and no date. Also not sure how old your DJ is, but if its NOT a modern one, then it has the old clam shell end links, hollow center link bracelet and a standard clasp. The 114270 will have solid end links, hollow center links, and an Oysterlock clasp. I prefer the 114270 bracelet to the older DJ bracelets. That being said, I'm not sure that you will feel the 2 watches are different enough, although I've met people that have more than one DJ.

If you don't love the Seamaster, don't buy it. Save up and get something you truly want, be it a 39mm Explorer or something else.

stafa

Reaction score
Go with the Explorer 114270. I'm in love with mine. It's just about perfect if you are looking for a versatile and understated higher end watch.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@bigbadbuff

Automatic/manual steel watches on bracelets, priced $3-4k used with box and papers, 38-40mm, possibly sporty but mainly that don't look like a DateJust at all:

Chronographs:

Omega Speedmaster (and Speedmaster Professional)
Tudor Prince (various)
Zenith El Primero (Rainbow etc., various)
Girard Perregaux chronos (Ferrari, F1 etc., various)
Breitling Navitmer, Chronomat, Blackbird

Not (necessarily) chronographs:

Omega Aqua Terra
Omega DeVille GMT
IWC GST
Cartier Pasha (various), Cartier Roadster
Vulcain Cricket Classic

Last edited:

bings

Reaction score

Too many mention of Coke recently, so I felt obliged to post the pics of mine, circa 1999-2000. The watch I bought as a graduation gift to myself after the grad school!

uzejy9u4.jpg

ege8yruh.jpg

how you like it?

i just bought one last night, should have it next week.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Would you consider a Speedy, bbb? Always a great idea, and a classic chrono.

Not as versatile obviously....more of a true sports watch, but I believe it would be a better complement to a silver-dialed Datejust.

I think it would fit your other criteria in terms of price and case thickness, and shouldn't overwhelm a 6 3/4" wrist.

That 3227 recommendation is also solid, if you can find one pre-loved for the right $$$.

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I LOVE the 36mm Explorer 1. I nearly bought one recently, but got my Omega Aqua Terra instead. I'm still torn over that one. I'll likely get the Explorer 1 at some future point.

Last edited:

bings

Reaction score

I LOVE the 36mm Explorer 1. I nearly bought one recently, but got my Omega Aqua Terra instead. I'm still torn over that one. I'll likely get the Explorer 1 at some future point.

pics of your Aqua Terra?

i'm going to grab one of those eventually...

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@bigbadbuff

Automatic/manual steel watches on bracelets, priced $3-4k used with box and papers, 38-40mm, possibly sporty but mainly that don't look like a DateJust at all:

Chronographs:

Omega Speedmaster (and Speedmaster Professional)
Tudor Prince (various)
Zenith El Primero (Rainbow etc., various)
Girard Perregaux chronos (Ferrari, F1 etc., various)
Breitling Navitmer, Chronomat, Blackbird

Not (necessarily) chronographs:

Omega Aqua Terra
Omega DeVille GMT
IWC GST
Cartier Pasha (various), Cartier Roadster
Vulcain Cricket Classic

I have always liked the Speedy but do want an automatic. That watch has lost a little bit of luster for me over the years, I feel like if I was going to spend 2.5-3k for a good example, I am close in price to other things I like a lot more.

Tudor Prince/Breitling/Perregaux, not a fan.

I really like the El Primero, probably my favorite chrono in a few iterations. It's hard to find on bracelet pre-owned from what I've seen.

The Aqua Terra's are nice, I love the blue dial, but it is probably too similar to the Datejust.

The IWC has an amazing dial, I've always loved it, but the watch is a behemoth. Much too large for me.

I am a big Cartier fan for dress watches, not those particular models.

I very much appreciate the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads