• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indeed. Sadly not mine, but I've posted that pic a few times over the years as I really like this model (1600). Baton markers, plain bezel, lug holes and brushed Oyster bracelet: Just perfect.

Indeed. I recently had a vintage 1960s Date watch that looked very similar to that (though with a black dial), which I loved the look of, but I got a rash from the extra nickel content in the steel of that time, so I sold it. I must say, though, that DJ looks even better. Very nice watch that :inlove:

I don't think I'd have a problem with a manual wind.

I think the comparisons have almost ceased to be of equivalent watches: the 43mm AT - on its steel bracelet, with 15 bar water resistance blah blah, is just so much like a pure sports watch. In that context, the extra bits and bobs on the dial don't jar as much with me. Conversely, the lovely blue and the smooth bezel de-sport it just enough for me to find it pretty, too. It's complicated. And logic has its limits. :)

Definitely. It all comes down to personal preference in the end anyway. I do like the movement of the new ATs, though.

Last edited:

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back on the wrist after a few weeks away. Feels like coming home...

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Frilly, I've always thought that a manual wind perpetual calendar smacks slightly of sadism. But I could certainly live with that.
1f601.png

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frilly, I've always thought that a manual wind perpetual calendar smacks slightly of sadism. But I could certainly live with that.
1f601.png
Agreed! While there are some lovely manual wind perpetual calendar chronographs out there, I always thought it would make more sense for them to be automatics and have at least say a 40-44 hr power reserve. That way if one can bare to put it down for a day or so one isn't worried about resetting everything. Although, I know there winders for manual wind watches. I suppose PP, VC and others were a bit limited in what they could do while dependent on Lemania for a base movement for their chronograph functions. On the flip side, one could view resetting all the functions as spending some serious quality time with an extremely handsome watch!

ML594806

Reaction score
I´m off to Madrid this week and I know of a whatch shop which is about to close and offers 32% discounts on stock. They have IWC, Breitlings, Omegas... All the usual suspects. I´m wondering whether it´s worth buying from them (I know it´s safe and the watches are real as it´s a long established business and a friend has bought all his pieces there). But I thought I´d ask what discounts can be negotiated usually in the UK, if there are any deals with watch makers or watch sellers here, etc... I know Jomashop but I´d rather see the watches before buying!

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
Quick question guys...

What do you guys think of a nicely-finished steel Perpetual Calendar at 11,800 USD, and a platinum one at 17,700 USD (complete with gold rotor)? Sweet price?

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick and dirty shot of my Daytona. Really enjoying this piece.

daytona1_zps0dd42f3b.jpg

daytona2_zps5c1d1d59.jpg

Still got the stickers on. Maybe tomorrow I will make it happen :happy:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick and dirty shot of my Daytona. Really enjoying this piece.

daytona2_zps5c1d1d59.jpg

Still got the stickers on. Maybe tomorrow I will make it happen
happy.gif
Great watch! I love the Lum shot! Glad to hear you are enjoying yours, I love mine. A few of mine saying hello to yours.
cheers.gif

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do people like or prefer non-hacking movements? I learned recently that the Patek Aquanaut is non-hacking, and I'm surprised that a new(-ish), modern watch would come out with a non-hacking movement, especially at Patek's price point. I get it if it's a historical movement of importance, but if not, why then?

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick question guys...

What do you guys think of a nicely-finished steel Perpetual Calendar at 11,800 USD, and a platinum one at 17,700 USD (complete with gold rotor)? Sweet price?

The plat one is priced very attractively IMHO

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
^^ Agree. There are plenty of steel perpetual calendars at or under that price - from the really cheap Hamiltons etc., the re-tread maker Perrelet at just under that price (not bad looking either), and the odd Breitling. I saw a NOS IWC in that ballpark too.

But for a platinum perpetual calendar, although there's plenty used in that range - IWC, Blancpain for example - there's nothing I've seen that's readily available under $20+k new.

If this is a new Celadon project, I'd be a bit more wary though: there might not be a lot of platinum perpetual calendars in this price range. But there are a hell of a lot of people's "grails" right around the $15-20k mark, and whatever the metal, there is a big difference from the first Celadons: new and untried is fair enough at Tudor price, but when it's instead of a Royal Oak or a Lange 1815, I suspect the value proposition will add up rather differently. Even for the steel one - right up against, say, JLCs and Rolexes, I think it's a hard sell. Doesn't mean it can't work, but it does mean be careful how much exposure is needed on the stock.

Last edited:

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great watch! I love the Lum shot! Glad to hear you are enjoying yours, I love mine. A few of mine saying hello to yours. :cheers:
Thanks Dino! Your black index is outstanding as well. I get hypnotized by looking at the dials :D

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Steel28 gotta love the white dial Daytona!

Rolex does a bang up job with the protective plastic stickers. You barely notice they're there. I'm waiting for them to fall off from my DSSD hahah.

114060 and 116520 saying hello!

esydazu6.jpg

DSSD domed crystal produces the most fascinating visual effects.

ve7y6any.jpg

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanna wear long sleeves, but I still want everybody to see my GO, soooo ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads