1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you sir.

2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I would pick the GMT out of those 2 though I see the love for the plain Sub. From what I understand the black was the first move to Cerachrom for the bezels and it took a while to figure out the process for the two-tone which are now in the BLNR and BLNO.

The only problem with the GMT is when you don't wear it for a weekend and it stops then setting the GMT hand means twisting the minute hand around quite a bit instead of a similar quick set as the hour hand has.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

No, its not a Reverso 1931. He said its a steel case, with white dial, and "Numbers instead of sticks" which I took to mean Arabic numerals. So its an ultrathin, but not a 1931. The steel 1931s have stick markers.

Tough choice. Both are great watches. I like the clean look of no date, fewer hands, and fewer markings on the bezel. However for daily use, a date comes in handy, and most average people travel more than they go diving/snorkeling. So the GMT becomes more practical.

I've said it before but to me a GMT needs a dual color bezel to be at its most functional and to maintain its own identity. My first Rolex was an all black bezel GMT. I had ordered a GMT, expecting a blue and red, but the black bezel was what appeared. At first I thought it was cool, and made it a shade more dressy and versatile if one were to wear with a blazer or suit. However, I found that if a person noticed my watch, they almost always said, "Nice Sub." After a while it seemed to me that the GMT lacked its own identity when it had an all black bezel. So for me a dual color bezel is a must. I'm a big fan of both watches, so there really isn't a wrong choice...I'd just favor a BLNR over the all black bezel GMT.

I actually considered a no Date Sub not too long ago, but I already have a previous generation Sub, I don't dive, and I really like the black black combination of the BLNR... so that's what I chose.

All I do is look to see where the 24 hour hand stopped, then advance the hour hand so the date gets corrected or will be correct when it advances past midnight and stop the hour hand on the hour that matches up with the 24 hour hand. Usually very little to adjust in terms of minute hand that way...not sure if I explained it clearly enough....but its Sunday and I need lunch! Cheers!

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  4. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

About an hour late on this:

"Hello, pot? This is kettle. You're black."

5. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I know this is off-thread, but I've got a suspicion some of the TWATerati might have an opinion.

I'm going to need a raincoat (or "Mac" as I'm told they are called here) and I can see only two options: Burberry and Aquascutum ("Heritage" and "Corby").

I tried both on today and like each one. Feeling indecisive. I'll spare you all the long pros and cons list. Anyone care to render an opinion? Perhaps someone who's given either one the test of time?

6. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Maybe consider a Mackintosh?

1 person likes this.
  7. alpyigit

alpyigit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

new diver for the summer..

3 people like this.
  8. atila

atila Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Seemed off topic and my reply was a bit long, so I sent it as a PM.

10. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

How about a one off with Burberry Bespoke? :embar:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

There you go! :slayer: haha. For the record I've got B'bry as well (not bespoke, just off the rack).

12. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

Has anyone else noticed that Hodinkee has become a de facto cheerleader for the auction houses, trying to justify the sky-high valuations of watches far from deserving such prices? It's worse than their breathless, Pollyanna-ish coverage of their favorite Marques.

Don't even get me started on how they feign "editorial independence," but readilyalmost certainly accept business-class airfare, premium hotels and other payments from the various manufacturers and auction houses. And don't forget that they don't likely pay even close to retail for anything they buy. (That Ferrier comes to mind.)

I'd have an easier time accepting it if they were honest about it. It really speaks to credibility. Hell, most blogs I read take pains to disclose this sort of thing.

/rant

1 person likes this.
  13. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Do you know for a fact that Hodinkee gets these freebies, or is this just conjecture? I don't appreciate their incessant cheerleading for every piece that Clymer owns, but I think it's unfair to just throw out various (serious) accusations at them.

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

Did you just put on the KOW hat???

15. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

Well, they thanked BMW overtly in their instagram feed for the car while in Switzerland and Italy. And there is no way the site revenue supports that many business-class flights and hotel stays to Geneva, Tokyo, Zurich, Lake Como and the rest. When they fly out to Geneva for a single brand's launch event, doesn't that seem likely to have been a paid placement? And I'm sure that Cleverley charged them all retail for the bespoke shoes Hodinkee breathlessly covered on the site. And I believe Clymer is the proud owner of a Laurent Ferrier that I'm sure was purchased at retail. But you're right, it is just an educated conjecture. Perhaps they ought to address it?

At least have the moral compass to disclose it, even in passing...for example, how about: "Patek brought us over to Geneva to participate in the exciting launch of their blah, blah, blah."

Is that so hard?

16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, ...it's another hobby of mine [​IMG]. The short version was a vote for Burberry.

17. atila

atila Senior member

They probably get some kickbacks, but nothing over the top. They have a shop, they have large ads right on the homepage, and they have a ton of traffic coming to the website (quick scan shows 71k facebook followers and 130k IG followers, that's not bad)... it's not like the website makes NO MONEY. I don't think the kickbacks are too outlandish.

It's not uncommon for a company to pay for your flight/hotel for coverage/working of an event. If Patek is throwing a major event, you don't think they'd be covering the event front and center on their page, anyways? I don't think it's that big of an issue.

edit: I clicked their "Advertise With Us" link at the bottom of the page and pulled this:

HODINKEE has seen significant growth over the lifespan of the company, with an average of 1,000,000 unique visitors each month, and over 2,000,000 monthly pageviews.

I don't know much about online advertising, but that seems like a solid number to generate at least some revenue.

18. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Going to guess that's from Tokyo?

You're just full of wisdom Dino. So, ahem, to what does KOW refer?

19. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

I debated long and hard between the BLNR and 114060 (ND Sub) for nearly three months before I decided on the Sub. For me, this would be an everyday watch and the PCLs of the BLNR were too flashy for me. Beyond that, in absence of the cyclops, the symmetry of the 114060 is a sight to behold. To me, it's near perfection and I've regretted selling that watch every single day since I did so.

1 person likes this.
  20. no frills

no frills Senior member

The King Of Outerwear! Hashtag BOOM!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.