1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1

People rarely go wrong when they keep things simple! Too much of anything can ruin one's appearance.

2 people like this.
  2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I really, really like it - except for the burgundy-coloured "column" (if that's the right word" on the crown. That, to me, just seems unnecessary and detracts from what is, overall, a very appealing "tool" watch. If it had a normal crown, like the Pelagos or pretty much all other watches, it would be on my wish-list.

1 person likes this.
  3. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Case was 41? I believe.

It was unique for sure. Ive always been attracted to strange things that most people wouldnt like.
    Even in clothing, shoes, accessories. Its always something that most people wouldnt go to first.

No way in hell I would pay that kind of money for the watch but it was just something I thought was cool and thats that.

2 people like this.
  4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yup, thanks for sharing. Plus it's hard to tell just how stunning a watch can be from pics alone. Any other pieces that caught your eye while you were browsing?

5. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

They had Panerai, IWC, Corum, Longines. I mean from a rookie in the Watch thread everything looked like candy but that was what I found was unique.

Ive never liked the Radiomirs but there was an all black one with "dirty brown" markings which I thought was very cool.

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

This is what I am considering which is why I asked about PO discounts. If I had to pay $6200 for the PO I would be more inclined to wait and grab the blnr.

7. atila

atila Senior member

Haven't posted in here in years but still follow it... My date just that I wear most days at work and an interesting Muller I biught from a client (I'm a jeweler) for literally ten cents on the dollar. Really fun watch where the hour hand jumps all over the watch, white gold case.

I have a few others but these are probably my most interesting.

[​IMG]

Ps: image is garbage quality, taken with iPad

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  8. dsn112

dsn112 Member

Get the PO now at as close to 4k if you are buying new and if you decide you want a blnr later you won't take a huge hit when selling. I went PO to Sub no date, to Speedy Pro, to GMT II.

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Best just to wait for the one you really want in the first place.

An intermediate watch will get you nowhere but further away from what you really want.

10. bespoken pa

Ugh ya see my downfall is shoez, I think we'll if I go with the PO I can finally mto Philip II boots and be like frilly. And add a couple EGS from skoak.

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Not that much different than shoes, it all depends on what you want the most.

But no matter what it is, if you want it bad enough you'll be willing to do what it takes.

The thing is don't ever settle for something you don't really want.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  12. no frills

no frills Senior member

Philip IIs for the win! They are breaking in magnificently well by the way, thanks for checking in. I saw your question in one of the threads but forgot to reply till now.

IMHO Lobb has the best leather even compared to Corthay, EG, GG, StC. The Philip II took a while to break in, though, and because Leffot recommended that I size down by a half for that pair it hurt to wear the first few times. The wholecut Chapels, on the other hand, also boasted the same fantastic leather but was comfy to wear from the start, so YMMV.

Also, good advice from dddrees re: waiting for what you really want.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  13. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

If going Seamaster, the 300 with broad arrow looks best to me. The escape valve on the PO bothers me currently but the 300M looks lovely.

[​IMG]

14. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

300M is very nice. Not in love with PCLs and fake aged lume but it still comes together nicely.

I'd take PO > 300M but its close.

15. bespoken pa

I like the exhibition back on the PO idk just makes it look like a nicer watch. The PO is great but the BLNR on wrist is a thing of beauty. I also looked at a Pepsi dial however that which I thought was steal was white gold and priced at about 34k, hard to envision paying that for new Rolex. At that price point I would go with a Lange 1.

16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1

Substitutes rarely provide the same satisfaction as the item one truly wants.

+1

If you buy that intermediate piece, you will lose some money on depreciation of the intermediate piece. Always best to wait for the one your really want.

If you really want a BLNR, wait save up, and hold off on PO or the shoes. A friend of mine used to always hold off on buying the watch he truly wanted, buying good but lesser watches. Constantly selling, losing money on the depreciation, and then getting whacked by price increases on the new piece. If he had bought the piece he really wanted, when he originally considered it, it would have saved him about $2,500-3,000.

We all like nice clothing and great shoes. If you have a few good pairs of shoes, hold off and get the watch that you really want while its still in a somewhat reasonable price range. You can always do more nice shoes later. Good luck!

17. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I really liked this watch until I tried it on. Also tried on the blue dial version and neither did anything for me.

18. no frills

no frills Senior member

That's an interesting reaction. For most pieces I thought were originally unappealing from 2D pics, trying it on my wrist changed my mind towards either liking them, or at least thinking "hey, this doesn't look bad at all." Your reaction to the PO is the reverse! Did the dial just look too flat, etc (or is there some specific reason you could pinpoint)?

19. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Pinky rings - here, in the UK, only if hereditary. Otherwise a no-no in my book (and I don't wear one because I'm a mutt). What I have seen, is someone with a (real) family pinky ring and a tiny wedding band sitting next to it on the pinky finger. Apparently the done thing.

20. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

There's a slight, if marginal difference between a pinky and ring-finger ring to me; I wear a signet ring on my right hand on my ring-finger. I don't seal many envelopes, but I do like the family association, and I do find it slightly less gaudy to have it on the fourth and not pinky finger. I wear watches on my left wrist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.