1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marton

Marton Active Member

Looks as though Lange had an incredibly strong and prolific showing at SIHH this year, with eight introductions including three all-new complications! I'm lusting after this Saxonia annual calendar... much prefer its clean dial, moonphase and big date it to the Patek 5146. Better start saving now [​IMG]

Photo credit goes to Tony P over at PuristSPro.

[​IMG]

Lovely! Just lovely! [​IMG]

2. Marton

Marton Active Member

Not that into highend pieces but here's an inherited timepiece [​IMG] Only wish mine had a lovely dedication in the back [​IMG]

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Looks as though Lange had an incredibly strong and prolific showing at SIHH this year, with eight introductions including three all-new complications! I'm lusting after this Saxonia annual calendar... much prefer its clean dial, moonphase and big date it to the Patek 5146. Better start saving now [​IMG]

Photo credit goes to Tony P over at PuristSPro.

[​IMG]

These look really really good

4. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

These look really really good

Lange's 2010 showing is arguably one of the strongest in recent memory by any manufacture, either in Geneva or Basel. For those interested, expert photographic coverage can be viewed from both SJX and Tony P of PuristSPro.

A new 1815 chrono is among the novelties unveiled... but the Saxonia annual calendar is my favorite [​IMG]

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

... but the Saxonia annual calendar is my favorite [​IMG]

What?

Tell me more.

- B

6. srivats

srivats Senior member

Am I the only one who doesn't like Panerai here? This grand seiko spring drive(with a brown shell cordo strap) is my current dream watch:

[​IMG]

7. btinl

btinl Senior member

Am I the only one who doesn't like Panerai here?

no. They are hideous. big watch trend.

8. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Bill-

I've always wanted an annual calendar, but til now the options were limited to a PP5146 or FPJ Octa Calendrier, neither of which really did it for me. I never cared for how PP simply grabbed the 315 movement from the 5035 and enlarged the case - leaves the subdial unbalanced in the 5146. Had some reliability issues with my FPJ CS, and while I like the retrograde date on the Calendrier, somehow it always bothered me that the date hand crosses over the day and month apertures.

Lange makes my favorite moonphase, and the combination of the big date and the clean, timeless dial make this a winner IMO.

9. srivats

srivats Senior member

Here is a nice video on seiko spring drive technology:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Look at how smoothly that second hand sweeps - nothing ETA has produced is this smooth from what I have seen:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Even their quartz watches are so nice - look at how nicely the seconds hand aligns with the marks. Now show me a ETA movement that does anything close!

And here is a nice writeup by Seiya-san:
    http://www32.ocn.ne.jp/~kseiya/gs/

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Am I the only one who doesn't like Panerai here? This grand seiko spring drive(with a brown shell cordo strap) is my current dream watch:

No, you're not the only one. And that Grand Seiko is gorgeous [​IMG]

11. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Look at how smoothly that second hand sweeps - nothing ETA has produced is this smooth from what I have seen . . .
    This comment doesn't really make much sense. The seconds hand of an ETA mechanical movements obviously won't sweep as smoothly--but neither will that of a Patek movement. Since they are fully mechanical, their beat rate is going to be much slower. The technologies you are comparing are completely different and the difference you're talking about says nothing about quality or refinement. Keep in mind: the fact that the seconds hand on a typical quartz watch steps from second to second is actually considered a horological advancement compared to the smoother sweep of the seconds hand on a mechanical watch, as it more clearly indicates the seconds as they pass. It takes more complexity and energy consumption to make step seconds work on a mechanical movement, so it is rarely done. If a quartz watch manufacturer wanted to make a watch with a smoothly sweeping seconds hand, it would be very easy to do so.
    Even their quartz watches are so nice - look at how nicely the seconds hand aligns with the marks. Now show me a ETA movement that does anything close!
    Again, that says little to nothing about movement quality. Whether the seconds hand lines up with the dial markers has much more to do with calibration after the movement has been manufactured.

12. srivats

srivats Senior member

This comment doesn't really make much sense. The seconds hand of an ETA mechanical movements obviously won't sweep as smoothly--but neither will that of a Patek movement. Since they are fully mechanical, their beat rate is going to be much slower. The technologies you are comparing are completely different and the difference you're talking about says nothing about quality or refinement.

Keep in mind: the fact that the seconds hand on a typical quartz watch steps from second to second is actually considered a horological advancement compared to the smoother sweep of the seconds hand on a mechanical watch, as it more clearly indicates the seconds as they pass. It takes more complexity and energy consumption to make step seconds work on a mechanical movement, so it is rarely done. If a quartz watch manufacturer wanted to make a watch with a smoothly sweeping seconds hand, it would be very easy to do so.

Case aesthetics apart, can you explain a little more on what you mean by quality/refinement in this context?

The seiko spring drive is mechanical too - no need for an external battery. Also, all spring drives are hand assembled from what I understand. I specifically posted the spring drive to point out that Seiko's in-house movements are comparable (if not better) than swiss ETAs that go in other luxury watches.

If we were discussing step seconds, we would be arguing about which quartz movement is better :) Quartz watches are easily more accurate at a fraction of the cost, no question. However, I don't think it is easy for a simple quartz watch to mimic the perfect sweeping of the spring drive grand seiko ... the spring drive has a quartz crystal (that is fed by the energy generated from the main spring) and a special regulator to create that beautiful sweep. Is this what you meant by the Seiko not being fully mechanical? For me, the grand seiko is fully mechanical (no battery + self winded). I am not sure how much you know about spring drive, but I don't want to derail the thread discussing it here.

FWIW, seiko also makes a great hi-beat (36000) grand seiko - the SBGH001

I definitely appreciate other watches (some PPs posted here are breathtaking) for aesthetics, but if I have to pick a new watch (mehcanical or quartz) to spend money on, it will be a Seiko. I am very tempted to start searching for a used omega constellation, but I am trying to control the lust.

Again, that says little to nothing about movement quality. Whether the seconds hand lines up with the dial markers has much more to do with calibration after the movement has been manufactured.

To me, this is a sign of very high quality. I have been plenty nice quartz watches in real life, nothing had anything close to that quartz seiko. Show me a swiss watch that has something similar - I am not arguing with you, I am very curious to learn.

13. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

no. They are hideous. big watch trend.

Typical Paneristi.

Regards.

14. btinl

btinl Senior member

Typical Paneristi.

Regards.

Fewer fans = better chance of getting the new 339

[​IMG]

15. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

[​IMG]

/M

I love this presentation, it's the first time I've seen a Rolex and really liked it. Any info on the strap?

16. vbuskirk

vbuskirk Senior member

New Arrival : Cashmere and submarine steel [​IMG]

17. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Fewer fans = better chance of getting the new 339

[​IMG]

Nice.

Of course, showing the watch and sharing the model name will also help drawing peoples attention away from it.

18. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

[​IMG]

Am I the only one who doesn't like Panerai?

Guess not.

19. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Here we go again. The circus is in town.

20. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.