• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Oops, missed that. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find a way to make the RO happen. Not to be an enabler...oh what the hell...its slimmer sibling, but you get the idea.
If you all care... My grail.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oops, missed that. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find a way to make the RO happen. Not to be an enabler...oh what the hell...its slimmer sibling, but you get the idea.
I will enable a bit as well. Slightly differently, but same idea.
which model is this?

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

G-Shock Perpetual Calendar in Barbie Pink?

LOL'd.

zippy: noice Seadweller.

Stitchy: I figured you would always need to have a JLC in your collection, being such a fanboi and all.

Not dissing the 15400, it's a great piece, but that would be a real "power move" to truly consolidate down to one watch! *shudder*

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
15202 >> 15300 > 15400 in my humble opinion.
At first blush I think most would agree, however...

The 15400 felt too large for my wrist (< 7") when I had them side by side, but for someone with a slightly larger stature, it is more likely to be appropriate.
The 15202 is amazing, but it felt small as it was so much thinner than the 15300 (bracelet included), and it felt like more of a dress watch.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of grails - Gruebel Forsey has been on my radar for a few years now given how they push the boundaries of the tourbillon complication etc. I am not particularly attracted to their aesthetics, but I haven't seen any of their pieces in the metal either.

Well, today I had lunch with Stephen Forsey and a small group of other folks. He explained his GMT - introduced last year - in painstaking detail, very eloquent, with much passion. Here's a pic of the titanium globe that executes its world time complication:

e8u8a8ar.jpg

The case size is 43.5mm and is 16mm thick, which is remarkable given the number of complications it houses.

It is simply amazing in the flesh.

Their business model is on the high end of high end - producing only 100 watches per year, some completely bespoke. I might not gun for one of their pieces even if I had that kind of cash to burn, but just listening to a watchmaker explain his craftsmanship with such passion is part of why this hobby is interesting and fun for me.

Just sharing! More on this GMT in this piece by Hodinkee:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/just-because-hands-on-with-the-greubel-forsey-gmt-live-pics-pricing

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
At first blush I think most would agree, however...

The 15400 felt too large for my wrist (< 7") when I had them side by side, but for someone with a slightly larger stature, it is more likely to be appropriate.
The 15202 is amazing, but it felt small as it was so much thinner than the 15300 (bracelet included), and it felt like more of a dress watch.

Proportions just look off to me on the 15400, so it's not a matter of wrist size for me personally. That's just me though. I prefer it's date window to that of the 15300 for whatever that's worth, though that's a non factor on the silver dial.

I certainly get the thinner thing, but really that family is just more dress than sport in my eyes. So if I were to make a purchase in that family, I would go Dino's way.

Though it has been established that I have horrible taste as I prefer the Overseas (the sportier feel thing here again), so my opinion on this is roughly worthless.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ all that being said.. the Bulgari story just posted on the 'dink is what we would call thin.
The movement including tourbillon is 1.95 mm thick...
We have to put that into perspective.
That is 0.076" thick.
The thickness of a US NICKEL!!!
Absurd.

Being an engineer and machinist (in a former life), I can attest to how this is a feat.

I am amazed.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. i hate gruewballs foreplay. technically impressive, sure, but so ugly and OTT unnecessary. i recall their quadruple tourbillon. i love a tourb, but one is enough, dont get me started on 4.

2. we have a customer coming in to potentially sell the following:

• Ademars Piguet Gents Royal Oak Automatic Chronograph 18K RG 26022
  • Cartier Mid Size Ballon Bleu 18 Kt WE9004Z3
  • Breitling Bently 6.75 Automatic Wristwatch/chronograph 18 KT RG H4436312
  • IWC Da Vinci Chonograph 18 KT IW376402
  • IWC Gents Portuguese automatic perpetual calendar 18 KT IW502119

3. more on why i love the 15400 the best, later.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing special, but my way of showing support to Brazil during their World Cup game yesterday against Mexico.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And now for something that will bring average watch price on this page plummeting down, new Seiko Monster in da house.

orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg
The bezel is very cool - it's a glossy gunmetal grey that seems to colour shift with changing ambient light from near silver to near black. Lotta watch for a little dough, IMO.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
My local AD has some Greubel Forsey...I thought they might be a little silly for the TWAT fraternity, but if there is interest I shall go forth and finger and photo them for the common good.

In the mean time, I have to say I am in deep sympathy with Brother Stitchoid over the 15400. I thought it was a bit too big, but in reality that white, or more correctly, silver dial, is simply magical. Every angle creates an optical illusion and a new face to that intricate tapisserie, every facet of the case and bracelet is an exquisite perfection. It is a magnificent beast and a worthy grail. I hope you get it, Stitchy..but I don't think you're a one watch guy, so wait a little. Here is some real life 15400 from my own unconsummated visit to AP:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads