• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagon

Reaction score
Gorgeous IWC Roger.

I think the Aqua Terra is one of the most versatile watches these days, great buy.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Speaking of Aqua Terra's...I just bought this watch:

Should arrive soon.

Super clean and classic look there Wraith, great work :slayer:

marvin100

Reaction score
Here's a question.

Why do we always discuss wrist circumference when evaluating appropriate watch size? Wrists are not cylindrical and vary widely in shape. Seems to me we should be discussing wrist "width"--the distance across the part of wrist upon which the watch will sit.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey JB, I finally got to try on a BLNR GMT2 this past weekend...really great watch! If I pick up another Rolex at some point, it could be the one. Even Mrs. Dino liked it and for some reason she wasn't a fan of the Pepsi GMTs. Anyway great watch, hope you are enjoying yours.

I love my BLNR and it was good to have it back on my wrist after returning home yesterday. While in Ohio I stopped by an AD to see if they had the new SD4000 but they said not yet so I BS'd with the guy. The BLNR came up and he said he has only had 4 through his store since they came out. He also said Rolex has been slow to send more out to stores and it may be more of a "limited" release from things he has "heard from his Rolex insiders". I do not know the truth behind this but my thought on slowness may be that the 2-tone bezel and the cerachrom have something to do with it. I know they mentioned it is tough and they have probably had issues with getting the split just perfect.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Dino! Yeah, great knives. Sturdy and affordable. Very easy to like. I have a few. Prefer the light, plastic handled ones, but the larger G10 handled are really something. But the knife you bother to drop in you pocket is better than the one at home. I'm usually one for fixed knives when out in the wilderness, Scandinavian style, but a folder has its place when a knife on your belt is too much.
Dug up a very ... orange ... watch and knife pic
happy.gif
Watch gone, knife still in my emergency kit.

Yes, agreed a nice folding blade is more convenient for average use and carrying. The Spyderco pieces being inexpensive and durable makes them both useful and easy to appreciate. Ah...that Benchmade box brings back memories. I had a butterfly nice from them after they took over Balisong. I showed it to my grandfather who was a real guy's guy, loved the outdoors, sports, guns, knives, etc. After showing it to him it went missing. My parents actually think the old man liked it so much he swiped it!!! Oh well, not a big deal.

I don't have any knife / watch combo pics, but for any knife fans who aren't whooping it up at the Blade Show in Atlanta right now, here is a group pic for you of hand forged knives from one of my fave makers:

orig.jpg

And what is on the wrist today:
orig.jpg
Wow....all I can say is wow!!! Roger those are just stunning knives and the watch is a beauty too! I just have a few knives mostly that my Dad gave me when I was younger. But for a time he was collecting knives from different makers, King, Randall, Reeves etc. Not sure if he has any from Farr, but those are just stunning! Thanks for opening my eyes to some more beautiful collectibles...although I don't think Mrs. Dino want's me starting a new hobby
decisions.gif
oh decisions, decisions decisions.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my BLNR and it was good to have it back on my wrist after returning home yesterday. While in Ohio I stopped by an AD to see if they had the new SD4000 but they said not yet so I BS'd with the guy. The BLNR came up and he said he has only had 4 through his store since they came out. He also said Rolex has been slow to send more out to stores and it may be more of a "limited" release from things he has "heard from his Rolex insiders". I do not know the truth behind this but my thought on slowness may be that the 2-tone bezel and the cerachrom have something to do with it. I know they mentioned it is tough and they have probably had issues with getting the split just perfect.
Hi JB, I just happened to go into an AD where a person ordered one and then didn't pick it up. Its really nicely done, and it could be a serious contender for another everyday watch, particularly since it would be nice to have another watch with a GMT function. They did mention if I was interested in a SD4000 they expect to receive one in about 4-6 weeks. I like the SD4000 at least in the photos, but since I don't dive...a GMT function piece would be more useful to me especially if I decide to get a newer Rolex. Its been almost 9 years since my last Rolex purchase. I don't think the BLNR is any type of limited release, but I suppose it will be interesting to see how long it remains in production. So far the only "relatively short" production Rolex in recent years was the "Kermit" LV Sub, which was not a limited production, but was only made for about 7 years. Anyway, in person the BLNR is a knockout ! It was far nicer looking than I expected it to be. Plus it has the all important Mrs. Dino approves of it factor so one could end up on my wrist one of these days.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Plus it has the all important Mrs. Dino approves of it factor so one could end up on my wrist one of these days.

Thumbs up from the better half: NEVER TO BE UNDERESTIMATED.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers Dino. Dan Farr - in addition to being an excellent maker - is also a friend and teacher. He is the one who taught me how to forge knives.

As for the hobby - flee while you can! It can be worse than watches for consuming time and funds.

orig.jpg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
at least it's a hobby that will serve you well after the zombie apocalypse

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Not much I can do with the cutlery, so I guess I'll just share this: I bumped into a guy from one of the local watch shops over lunch the other day, and he told me I just had to come see the new toys from Roger Dubuis. Personally, I love the Monegasque most, and they don't have any, and the Excaliburs are OK but I prefer the plainer ones. However, I acknowledge that these were worth the visit:

0.jpg

OK, just your everyday double flying tourbillon, a subtle 45mm rose gold skeletonised double flying tourbillon.

But if you really want to be just a little more different, and even bigger - 48mm and a yard thick too:

0.jpg

Four escapements...because...ah let them explain it: http://www.ablogtowatch.com/roger-dubuis-excalibur-quatuor-watch-hands-on/

They're both ridiculous. But I have to confess, that double flying tourbillon...if I were a superyacht-owning big cheese...I could almost..almost imagine wearing it while sipping a Perrier on the upper sun deck at dusk..with Eva Mendes. OK, now my mind is elsewhere.

And in other news, how about this?
Again, a little silly I think: a 46mm tool watch with super complications. But if you do really need to know the date for a hundred years, measure some time, not carry too much weight on your left wrist, avoid magnetism and stick to a mechanical watch all at once, this is your boy:

There, I didn't even mention Rolex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads