1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The ultra thin case looks great in rose gold, but I thought the dial on the steel version was better looking with all stick markers. I didn't like what looked like hand drawn Arabics at 12 and 6. The non-closed 6 looked to me like a kid in grade school helped with that dial.

2. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Not so sure I'd just agree that Piaget movements are better finished than JLC of the same price. A couple examples of both company's ultrathins show they square off nicely.

[​IMG] vs

3. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

4. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Speaking of underrated manufactures! Love Grand Seiko, and their 62GS models from Basel '15 are stunning.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

That's ok, I'm not so sure I'd just agree that a reasonable comparison of movements is a drawing vs an actual photograph. Personally, I think they are close, but I'd go with the Piaget from what I've seen but YMMV.

Don't get me wrong, I really like JLC and think they produce a great product, are a good value and I hope to add a JLC Reverso to my collection at some point. However, once a watch is in a certain price range, I probably would move from JLC to something else. Sort of like the idea of buying a really good off the rack suit, but once you are in a certain price range perhaps you'd rather have made to measure or even bespoke.

6. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Did someone say Reverso?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Not entirely certain I agree with the off-the-rack comparison, given that a lot of those high-end watches are JLC movements with a nicer finishing and a case in precious metal.

VC, PP, AP. They've all used JLC movements in watches that sell for much more than Jaeger's own models.

Once you're into the $20k+ pricepoint, cost starts to go up a lot more from things like metals, finishing techniques and handwork, additional complications etc. Stuff that appeals to the top-tier connoisseurs. JLC's sweet spot is in steel watches, where it offers up high end movements in more affordable casing/finishing. They can make more complicated, precious luxury watches, sure. But I think they're smart in knowing that where they compete is at the higher end of the mid-market. And, for me, that's kind of what I consider the apex of the bang-per-buck curve.

8. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Not so sure that's a drawing but here's the photo from their own website.

[​IMG]

Would agree similar but give the JLC the edge with the polished countersinks, more difficult anglage and flat polished screws. But as you implied there's a lot of subjectiveness in it and this is just two examples.

9. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

It took me many months of "research" before pulling the trigger, but I *damn* near bought this Piaget Altiplano (I liked the 38mm two-hander)....

[​IMG]

.... before ultimately choosing this Reverso instead (amongst a few others):

[​IMG]

Very happy with my choice, but I think as always it will come down to how it looks/feels on the owner's wrist.

Was quite a close call for me, really.

6 people like this.
  10. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Also, let me say this: Piaget is a real sleeper.

They absolutely deserve more love, IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  11. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Keith T nails it. Wrists don't lie, to paraphrase Shakira. If a watch does not smile to me from my wrist, no other argument will do, be it finishing or pedigree. When it does smile, I will buy it, and have done so with almost every smiling watch I've come across. Up to a certain price point, naturally. I have found this point to be surprisingly fluid over the years, though...

12. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Oh, what the hell.... [VIDEO][/VIDEO] Hard to believe that's been almost 10 years ago.

13. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

She's a really cute girl with a huge rack. But honestly, I've never understood all the fanfare. In any event, I'm glad you guys enjoy her so much!
    SIIICK kop there, brax! Congrats!!

1 person likes this.
  14. tricky

tricky Senior member

Great discussion here...all I know is that the Reverso is top of my list for my next piece (or a speedy).

15. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

Guys,

If I'm looking for a snuff/tobacco/light brown suede strap with 18/16mm dimensions, who is the best maker to look at? I see that Leffot or Hodinkee only has suede straps only in 20mm.

16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

That's not an actual photograph regardless of where you got it. Its a drawing or computer generated image. I've seen plenty of images/drawings like that, and they give a rough impression of the movement and do not show all of the details and actual finish. Hell, in that image it looks like it was scrubbed with a Brillo pad.

In the end you and I could probably find a dozen examples some of which would make JLC look better, some of which would make Piaget look better. I like them both and plan to add each to my collection at some point. With JLC it will be some form of Reverso and with Piaget it will be some form of Altiplano...it could be my first round dress watch.

Your reading it a little too literally. In addition, while years ago some higher end brands were producing pieces as you described - JLC movements with nicer finishing and precious metal cases...today most high end companies have moved away from that. PP stopped using their movements decades ago, AP has stopped using JLC based movements (cal 2120/2121 is sort of a hybrid as AP owned 40% of JLC and kept the rights to the movement after selling their interest in JLC), and I am uncertain at this point if there are any JLC movements in VC watches. If VC still makes their Overseas Dual Time then that might be one of the last JLC movements they are using.

My point was merely at a different price range, I'd probably opt for a different brand. I think JLC has without a doubt the best quality for the price of anything in the $15K or less range. At about $20K there are more options to consider, and at $30K+...the options really start to become almost boundless.

You made a great choice. I love the Reverso and the Altiplano, so there was no bad choice in the bunch. I look at it as which ever I don't get this time, I will get the next time. I'm hoping eventually they might make an ultra thin Reverso, maybe in rose, but with an all stick marker dial like on the black dial 1931. The last time I couldn't decide which dial I wanted on an AP, and I wanted long enough that it worked out well for me as they revived the 1972 style dial but with a dark date wheel and AP at 6.

17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

You can't lose with either choice. The Reverso is one watch on my "Must haves list."

18. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

So we agree - not so bad was it? [​IMG]

19. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

This is why, to name another example, so many people are holding out for Rolex to revive and release a Paul Newman-style Daytona.

"So you're telling me there's a chance". - Lloyd Christmas

1 person likes this.
  20. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

All this has got me itching for another kop. Fiancé Hedonist has moved past my moment of horological opportunity and insists that I must wait until our wedding before she buys me a dress watch. This news, combined with my recently-acquired GMT II being away for service for several weeks now - and a swollen war chest of rewards points (read: gift cards waiting to happen) has got my trigger finger a bit itchy.

Perhaps I should just treat myself to a little Seiko Shogun and upgrade my beater into more respectable territory...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.