• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BLNR and ND Sub if I had to choose but in all honesty I think those 3 watches are too similar to only have a 2 watch stable. Dino and Stitch have rubbed off enough that I think my BLNR with either a Reverso or Tank Solo could hold me to two watches but a Chrono would always be at the back of my mind. I think I could live with a 3 watch stable of a Diver, Dress, and Chrono but TWAT will make me change my mind in another month.

Just don't settle for say the Pelagos instead of the ND Sub if you really want the ND Sub.

EDIT: Now TC made me realize that you could have more in the stable...I am sticking with my 2 Rolex choice.

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you guys had to pick two out of these three, which would you choose?
Rolex GMT BLNR
Rolex no-date Sub (probably pick that up used)
Tudor Pelagos (would probably pick that up used as well)

I had always envisioned the two rolex collection until I discovered the Pelagos being very well-reviewed and being able to get it for roughly $3,500 or less used. My original thinking was I loved both of the Rolexes and could wear the sub on a nato for casual occasions. After reading about the Pelagos, it seems to be able to take the place of the sub at a lower price leaving me with the badass BLNR for most of my everyday wear (probably wear it with suits very rarely) and the Pelagos as a bit more of a "beater." A Sub was what I thought I wanted for a long time so I'm wondering if I might always have that feeling and not be satisfied without one. Any thoughts?
IMO, depends on what else you have.
I personally like the idea of differentiating away from the ND toward the Tudor, but I may be in the minority.
I do agree that if the ND is in your heart, you will be buying that eventually regardless.

Last edited:

Dillardiv

Reaction score

Without reading your commentary I was leaning toward the two Rollies, and after reading it I think you should definitely go that route. Try both, but personally I find the Sub much more appealing. Compromising to save a few bucks usually ends up costing you more in the long term. :)

What's your current collection look like?

BLNR and ND Sub if I had to choose but in all honesty I think those 3 watches are too similar to only have a 2 watch stable.  Dino and Stitch have rubbed off enough that I think my BLNR with either a Reverso or Tank Solo could hold me to two watches but a Chrono would always be at the back of my mind.  I think I could live with a 3 watch stable of a Diver, Dress, and Chrono but TWAT will make me change my mind in another month.  

Just don't settle for say the Pelagos instead of the ND Sub if you really want the ND Sub.

EDIT:  Now TC made me realize that you could have more in the stable...I am sticking with my 2 Rolex choice.

I hear what you're saying. I'm not sure if I'm settling so much as learning about something new. Everyone gives the Pelagos rave reviews and I KNOW I'll be thrilled when I get the BLNR next year. This is my first watch but I (think) my ideal stable would be 4 watches, adding an IWC Portuguese Chrono (a real dress watch) and some type of Panerai Luminor (looks good on the brown leather on Saturdays, etc). All three are somewhat similar, I agree, which is why I thought starting off on the more affordable end would be smart.

I would probably wear the Pelagos or Sub frequently on some type of nato or leather band on the weekends and eventually when I save up for it, the BLNR on steel for work.

For what it's worth, I'm 25 and live in a fairly casual small city, so having something that's a little bit understated is what I'm after.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

If you guys had to pick two out of these three, which would you choose?
Rolex GMT BLNR
Rolex no-date Sub (probably pick that up used)
Tudor Pelagos (would probably pick that up used as well)

I had always envisioned the two rolex collection until I discovered the Pelagos being very well-reviewed and being able to get it for roughly $3,500 or less used. My original thinking was I loved both of the Rolexes and could wear the sub on a nato for casual occasions. After reading about the Pelagos, it seems to be able to take the place of the sub at a lower price leaving me with the badass BLNR for most of my everyday wear (probably wear it with suits very rarely) and the Pelagos as a bit more of a "beater." A Sub was what I thought I wanted for a long time so I'm wondering if I might always have that feeling and not be satisfied without one. Any thoughts?

I think the Sub no date works in place of all those watches. Save yourself some money. The Sub does everything well. The GMT is so close to a Sub I don't see the point. If it weren't for those God awful polished center links on the GMT I would suggest just getting that and calling it a day. But since they are there...Sub all the way.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I think the Sub no date works in place of all those watches. Save yourself some money. The Sub does everything well. The GMT is so close to a Sub I don't see the point. If it weren't for those God awful polished center links on the GMT I would suggest just getting that and calling it a day. But since they are there...Sub all the way.

Agreed, unless you have a serious need for a GMT. And even if you do, I would suggest checking that box with one of the other watches you may add down the line.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hear what you're saying. I'm not sure if I'm settling so much as learning about something new. Everyone gives the Pelagos rave reviews and I KNOW I'll be thrilled when I get the BLNR next year. This is my first watch but I (think) my ideal stable would be 4 watches, adding an IWC Portuguese Chrono (a real dress watch) and some type of Panerai Luminor (looks good on the brown leather on Saturdays, etc). All three are somewhat similar, I agree, which is why I thought starting off on the more affordable end would be smart.

I would probably wear the Pelagos or Sub frequently on some type of nato or leather band on the weekends and eventually when I save up for it, the BLNR on steel for work.

For what it's worth, I'm 25 and live in a fairly casual small city, so having something that's a little bit understated is what I'm after.

Okay, in that case I'd go with the BLNR and wear it a few months and see what you feel like you're lacking after that period of time. My guess is you're going to be jonesing more for the IWC or the Panny than another sports Rollie. The BLNR is striking in person and has awesome wrist presence. It also dresses up and dresses down just fine.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the BLNR is the watch you truly want, then save up for it. Sure maybe you could have one of the other watches now, but at least for me, a substitute never satisfies my desire for the item I truly want. So I say save up, and don't deplete your BLNR fund by purchasing other watches.

As for the Pelagos, its nice but for what it costs I'd rather have a pre-owned Sub or a vintage Tudor Sub.

The IWC Portuguese Chrono, I don't really see it as a dress watch. To me its a sports watch on a strap. Yes, some might disagree and yes, people often point out that 007 wore a Submariner with a Tux, but most people aren't 007. An IWC Portuguese Chrono might seem dressier compared to a Panerai...but that doesn't make it a dress watch.

If you want versatility, save up for the BLNR. It gives you a GMT function if you travel, it's rugged enough for most people's needs (unless you are taking it deep sea diving), and yet it still works with a suit.

Then get the Panerai, as a casual sport watch, with an interesting design, and an extra large case (if you like larger watches).

Then eventually when you are ready/older (I get the impression you are young, maybe I'm wrong), start looking for a true dress watch. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
THE ANSWER IS IN YOUR INITIAL STATEMENT HERE:

A Sub was what I thought I wanted for a long time so I'm wondering if I might always have that feeling and not be satisfied without one.

Hell, some might say that a smart guy at age 25 would just buy the Sub, and be done with watches forever, happily wearing it for any and all occasions.

Me, I'm a little over 25 and still haven't learned :eh:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Congrats Dagon! Looking good Keith!

Swung by Washington DC for work today. Hot, sticky weather. Took large balls to wear a suit. Like, really large.

6y7y6y7y.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I expected frilly's suits to fit better.

peepwall[1].gif

faribeana88

Reaction score
I like wearing ill fitting suits!

a6eby7ys.jpg

I think its just his proportions...I can safely assume Frilly is somewhat near a Drop 10 and given that it seems he loves his suits very fitted...it does create that intense "Y" to his frame which results in the bowing of the lapels as seen in the previous photo he posted. But for some reason, I really like his suits and his swag but I guess that's why he posts mainly in this thread and not the CM WAYWRN thread

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I have also suggested he relax the waist a bit and perhaps lower the buttoning point a touch; both will make the lapels lie better and smooth out his silhouette. But, Frilly is Frilly and gives not a ****. He is like TWAT's very own action figure. And I'm OK with that.

As for the bitching about the weather, though, forget it. It was 50C (122F) today, and I wore a three piece worsted suit all day. The things we do for SF....

Anyway, back to watches, that was an interesting question: I actually think the right answer is "buy the Sub", then think about which very different watch you want next. The Sub is slightly smaller than the Pelagos and more versatile as a "desk diver". I also think it's more versatile than the BLNR, which although it's sexy, is a lot more eye-catching than the Sub, and that's not always desirable. Basically, if you buy a Sub, I don't think you could ever be wrong. I think get that for every conceivable use, and the look at either a pure dress watch, or a pure casual watch like the Luminor, a little later. Incidentally, although Kevin Spacey would have us believe otherwise, I think the IWC Portuguese is far from a "pure dress watch". It's lovely. I like it very much. But that's a lot of dial there, and the case has that lip around it that will catch on the shirtsleeve even if it's loose, and always keep the watch begging for attention. I think there are much better options at the price for something really dressy - and perhaps even for dressy chronos, if that's what you want. Personally I'd go for a sporty chrono maybe as the casual choice, and keep the dress watch simple. Anyway, as some lawyer once said, "good luck with whatever you decide". ;)

Also, I have some more thoughts on Tudors and Subs, but it's late...another time.

Last edited:

robw

Reaction score
H
THE ANSWER IS IN YOUR INITIAL STATEMENT HERE:
Hell, some might say that a smart guy at age 25 would just buy the Sub, and be done with watches forever, happily wearing it for any and all occasions.

Me, I'm a little over 25 and still haven't learned :eh:

Ha ha, I was about 25 when I got my sub and while I did and do love it, and happily wore the hell out of it, it didn't end the madness.

There have been more than few watches since. So it goes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads