1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaysek

Jaysek Member

hey I been looking to get a new nicer watch and had a couple questions. what's the difference between omega, rolex and tudor? are tudor and omega sub companies of rolex?

also is the omega seamaster a good watch?

2. suprememen

suprememen Member

Wow! Those are really amazing.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Omega is its own company and has nothing to do with Rolex. Tudor is a sub company of Rolex and until recently, it only used movements made by an outside company rather than movements made by Rolex (which kepts its costs down). Tudor has now has an movement made inhouse for some of their watches.

Yes, Omega makes some good watches. There are lots of good watches on the market, it simply depends on your needs, taste and budget.

4. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Just acquired a new watch box (12 count) so I can now go back on hunting/searching mode. No buys yet though; I promised myself not to buy another watch for a couple of months (weeks?) after my SMP.

Still, a guy has to do some research, no?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

There are a lot of watches out there in my opinion that straddle that line quite well. Any "sports watch" really. I could probably come up with quite a few options depending on budget.

6. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Those are great, especially that one in the second photo. It's a good thing there isn't an AD near my office or else I'd have to go drool over their counters at lunchtime.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I'm looking to keep it under $2,000.

8. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I think it's the dreaded face on wrist shot that is making the 57 look bigger. It's 41.5 iirc and I'm sure frills you would wear it well.

I like the 57 a lot but I prefer the dial of my 44 speedy personally.

9. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Under 2k sports watch is where I am looking right now for my next watch. If used is ok, I would look at Longines, Omega and Tudor although they might push your limit slightly over. Several German brands including SInn, Stowa and Junghans can also be found new under 2k.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    2 people like this.
  10. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I got my 2254.50 Seamaster for a hair under $2k as my first watch, and I love it. Not a single bad thing to say about it.

2 people like this.
  11. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

2254 was my first recommendation as well.

I think the Longines Legend Diver could straddle the casual/ business line as well. Can most likely grab a new example of that for $2k or less.

1 person likes this.
  12. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yup, should have composed that pic a bit better. The Omega website says 41.5mm case size but as usual it depends on the shape of the lugs, how it sits on one's wrist, etc.

But hey, if I can rock a DSSD I can rock this one. Hah hah.

The RG "Paul Newman" Speedy is really, really nice and understated. Retail is in the mid-$20s, though, so at that price point, even considering discounts, it's competing with a bunch of other options.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes really nice, but at that price point I'd be purchasing something else.

14. Donegin

Donegin Member

I want to spend 2.5 k in a watch. I am considering Tag Heuer vs. Alpina for that Price, what Brand do you guys think is better in quality?

15. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

16. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

frilly: you MUST kop yourself a Snoopy.

I want to see more pics!

17. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Pretty sure this was already mentioned but was also told at an Omega boutique last week that all pieces were spoken for.

That said, I'm sure there are lots of resellers so yes get one :D

18. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Yup, I do remember that .....but I also know that our man frilly does a lot of ... "speaking for" :smarmy:

19. no frills

no frills Senior member

All pieces have been spoken for.

Including, perhaps (I will neither confirm nor deny, till August deliveries arrive), the one "I spoke for," c/o the NYC Omega Boutique.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. mimo

mimo Senior member

^^Haha!

Frilly, the Snoopy looks best on your wrist in terms of proportion and lug shape. It at least deserves more exploratory pics...just for the sake of research and informing the common man, of course.

I'd take the '57 myself. Very attractive.

If you get the Snoopy, get the DSOM to match it, for when you're being Batman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.