1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. europrep

europrep Senior member

I am a little behind and just catching up on this thread. Great spot! Got married here a while back. Have you tried Vers in downtown Chatham? Please do (the downstairs dining option). And you must absolutely try the Truth or Dare dessert. My wife and I sometimes only go for dessert.

http://www.verscapecod.com/

2 people like this.
  2. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Today I'm feeling like a kid on Christmas day! Mailman just dropped this for me and it fits like a glove, won't even need to go and get it sized at my local watchsmith! Calling @TheWraith

I know to some on this thread, this is just pocket change, but this is my first 'big' purchase and I'm thrilled! The bracelet is really confortable, a joy to wear!

I apologise for the subpar iPad picture, I promise I will post some nicer ones soon, for the time being I'm just too excited to concentrate on picture taking!

[​IMG]

I know it's quartz but I feel this watch has reach quite a status (since being featured on 95's Golden Eye) and has quite a following among WIS.

Refence number 2541.80.00 for those interested!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    6 people like this.
  3. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Damn, it's a good day for TWAT.

With all this talk about discounts, thought I should let y'all know by going AD I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.

Also 30% off this 35mm PVD rose gold number for my first ever quartz beater. Yes, quartz is anathema to my being. Sometimes you take a looker who's a little less intelligent, as @BostonHedonist suggested about food a ways back.
    [​IMG]

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions. We did not know about Vers. I will have to give it a try maybe this spring or summer...especially since I love dessert! When we were last in Chatham the only other place we tried was Stars. The food was good, but the desserts...well they sucked. We got married on the Cape also, in Falmouth at the Coonamessett Inn. My dad's side of the family has lived in W. Falmouth since the 1960s so there were lots of family dinners there and lots of memories. I probably make it down to the Cape 2 or 3 times a year.

Congrats!!! Looks great. I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment. [​IMG]

Congrats and enjoy! Nothing wrong with having a quartz watch in the rotation. There are a few of us here with quartz watches. Below is mine...its going to get a new battery tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

UnFacconnable, congrats on the nice purchase! Speedmaster moonwatch is high on my wish list but probably not for a couple of years!

1 person likes this.
  6. tricky

tricky Senior member

Just in...technically the third time in buying a SubC LV from my AD. This one's staying for good!

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  7. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Oh fantasy

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. europrep

europrep Senior member

If you are a dessert guy, I promise you won't be disappointed. If it isn't one of your top ten dessert experiences of all time, next trip to 28 Atlantic is on me.

If you happen to notice a guy with an Ahoi Atlantik at the restaurant, don't hesitate to say hi.

9. Classic37

Classic37 Member

New friend.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thank you for the recommendation, I am a serious dessert guy so now I'm even more eager to get to Chatham in the spring or summer. If I notice someone with an Ahoi Atlantik, I will be sure to say hi and I will have to get a photo of both of our watches to post here on the forum. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

Here's my new Sturmanskie Gagarin:

[​IMG]

From what I can gather its a special / alternative edition of the Poljot Journey, number 068 of 999 if the number on the case is to be believed. The inner bezel rotates with the 10 o clock crown to select a different time zone. The chrono has central seconds and 30 minute counter at 3 o clock. The other complications are sweeping seconds at 9 o clock and a 24 hour counter at 6 o clock with the date at 12 o clock.

12. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Poster boy for movement-too-small-for-case syndrome.

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I know that TAG Heuer doesn't get a lot of love here, but from time to time, they do make some nice watches. Perhaps unfortunately, that's usually when they dip into their back catalogue and re-issue versions of their watches from the 1960s and 1970s!

I recently noticed that they're re-issuing a nice-looking two-register chrono:

http://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-the-tag-heuer-carrera-telemeter-cal-18/

It looks nice, and has a "reverse panda" colour scheme for the dial and sub-dials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The movement's not an in-house movement, which is unusual, as TAG Heuer has been moving towards in-house movements for the past decade or so and has been jacking up their prices accordingly!

However, despite not having an in-house movement, the watch isn't that cheap, as pricing has been announced as being 5900 Swiss francs.

Frankly, while I like the look of the above Carrera re-edition, I'd rather search around and get an original two-register chrono from Heuer for half that amount!

4 people like this.
  14. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

The more I hang on watch enthusiasts forums, the more I hear about this movement-too-small-for-case thingy, and I don't see what's the big deal about it. So what, if the subdials are distanced a bit from the case, and they dress up the chapter ring a bit. I find that in some case it can be a nice addition. But I guess I'm not that anal about those details as some of you guys! (not hating, just inquiring).

[​IMG]

Very nice example. I'm not a big fan of Tag in general, but I admit that they can sometimes put out a model that I wouldn't mind sacrificing a space in my watch box for.

15. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

16. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Nice to see one of my all-time favorites getting some TWAT love.

Mine's a 2531.80 :slayer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Well done, @ShawnBC my friend! That was my first big watch, too (though mine was a Christmas gift from my sister in 2006). It's a fantastic piece that will never let you down. It's still one of my favourites. And yes, it's the Bond watch from Goldeneye, also the watch Prince William, Duke of Cambridge wears every day :)

1 person likes this.
  18. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

Actually I wouldn't even have noticed if people on here had not pointed it out. It doesn't really bother me either, I'm more concerned with the external aesthetic than whether the movement is much smaller than the case.

19. mimo

mimo Senior member

It's a matter of degrees, and how much the overall design is affected. But it tends to either be very obvious, or one of those "once you see it..." problems. To be fair, that Sturmanskie is far from the worst example. Where it really stands out is where a maker has two case sizes of very similar watches with the same movement.

2 people like this.
  20. Sweden

Sweden Senior member

Okey, if I want to trade my IWC 3777-01 to another watch, whats your pick?

I can give a little bit of cash in between but not a lot, not like a YM 116622 like I really wanted before I heard the price :)

Rolex is the main target to trade to, but if you give me other options I´m open for that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.