1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I just love hobnobbing with associates at ADs and milking it for catalogs, magazines, etc. A little retail suck-up is great fun once in a while. I'm trying to teach Beautiful how to work sales associates, but she always likes to be left alone to ponder her purchases unaffected.

2. kimmo

kimmo Senior member

Thanks for reminding me on Lange, Breguet was already on the way ;)

One downside on the purchase of a new watch (delivery in April, btw) is that you start to look your collection again and I noticed (since I flipped almost all of the mid-price stuff during the last two months) that it's a bit lopsided now. Needs the quality dress watch now...

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I too enjoy hobnobbing and chatting with ADs and boutiques, provided the people working their are both knowledgable and nice. Its always fun to talk watches with fellow enthusiasts.

LIKE HERE!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Lol TWAT will have now caused every manufacture to send out 1000 catalogues within the week.

4 people like this.
  5. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Dammit we just upped the cost of our next purchases by a few $$$.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The old A4s were really solid and well built. My friend had a 98 base model, no issues, and she survived some guy in a huge SUV cutting her off because he was going to miss his exit, he clipped her front corner, his SUV rolled several times, he died in the accident and all of his passengers were injured, my friend's A4 was totaled but she walked away with a few bruises from the seat belt. She had 2 A4s after that and didn't like them as much.

My friends that had issues with their cars had them while new and under warranty. Nothing out of pocket at issue. Some just felt Audi didn't stand behind their products as well as they should have.

I've never heard of an partial overhaul with any of the watch companies. The only thing I've heard of as extra that can be opted out of is polishing the case and bracelet. If the watch is relatively new they might simply regulate it. If its say a year old or more, I think they will tell you to send it in for an overhaul or live with it as is until you want to overhaul it. Certainly if you hear differently let us know.

A friend had an R8 V10 and 2 Porsche 911s. He said overall the R8 was really nice and had great performance, but for better or worse at that kind of money its an Audi. Once you are in that kind of price range you can drive something more exotic and more exciting. After 2 years he traded it for an Aston Martin Vantage with a V12...now that's a car he really loves...and he kept both 911s.

7. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

The sales associate I deal with the most at my AD is always happy to ply me with whatever catalogues they have available. I think she is hoping to sell me a PP one day since she always gives me theirs even without me asking.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sounds great to me!!! Although, I don't know how many more watch catalogs Mrs. Dino will tolerate in the living room...or worse actually having an influence on me.

[​IMG] Probably right...someone has to pay for the cost of those magnificent catalogs.

1 person likes this.
  9. mimo

mimo Senior member

So it seems, perhaps predictably, that it's the dueling empires of Swatch and Richemont that are most catalogue-friendly: JLC, Lange, VC...now also Breguet (what a selection!), GO, Blancpain and Piaget. Also popped a web-form to Roger Dubuis. OK, I also did IWC. And Panerai. And possibly Cartier (you have to register an account...)

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Or you could buy something[​IMG]...then they send you new catalogs as soon as they come out...and occasional birthday gifts. This year our SA sent Mrs. Dino a floral arrangement for her birthday and sent me a hard cover coffee table book by Jack Forster (who works for Revolution watch magazine), for my birthday.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  11. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Good gracious @mimo ... You certainly don't half-ass things.

FWIW, I got my Cartier catalog by hobnobbing at the AD on Newbury while pondering Tank XLs.

PS - Don't forget Nomos.

And March 31 was forever known as Catalog Day.

2 people like this.
  12. mimo

mimo Senior member

@BostonHedonist Oh all right then - Nomos gets to be the sole Indy on the list. I'd rather the big boys paid, but Nomos have an official asshole policy of higher prices (no VAT deduction) for Asia, which always offends me... Anyway, you started it, dammit!

@Dino944 I don't like giving my real date of birth online, so I shifted it to today. Hope they notice! I normally put 1 April...might be more appropriate.

[Edit - oops...Muehle, Sinn, GP...]

13. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

@Dino that's awfully nice of them. All I buy from Cartier these days is some ink cartridges every six months - not sure that warrants such lavish attention!

14. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Hey fellas,
    Quick question, could someone point me to the "go-to" Rolex AD online or B&M? I have a couple of dealers nearby but am looking to save a couple bucks if I can (and tax!), so long as there's 0% chance I'd be getting a fake. Gift's for my wife. Thanks!

Renault

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Mimo, I should have been clearer, but it was the sales associate we purchased items from at the Cartier boutique, who sent the birthday presents. I don't think they send birthday things to people that just fill out the online catalog request forms...which is why I said "Or you could buy something [​IMG]."

Yes, both items were a nice surprise for us. It is always nice to come home from work and find an unexpected gift waiting for you. Purchase a few more Cartier pens and you might get some birthday gifts too...although it might be less expensive to simply purchase birthday gifts for yourself. Cheers![​IMG]

16. mimo

mimo Senior member

I don't care...I am buying myself a most excellent present quite soon. But not from Cartier. :)

17. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

That's the thing - 1 it's great coming home to an interesting treat you hadn't expected; 2 it's doubly good when it's from somewhere prestigious like Cartier. I'd love that. It's a bit like when the MD in the nice restaurant welcomes you by name without having to check.

18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Well then it should be the right, size, color and style. Wishing you luck with whatever it is. [​IMG]

19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Or its a bad sign for one's wallet when the sales associates or Maitre Ds know you that well. [​IMG]

20. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Ha! Too true. But you've got to live a little, right?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.