1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

This is key haha

2. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

I'm fortunate that this is mrs aleksandr's philosophy. Also it helps that (1) both of us make very decent salaries so household finances are never an issue, and (2) I've been into the nice thing game far longer than I've known her so from day one when we started dating (and probably importantly, before she had any say in finances) I've been buying things.

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

Mrs @no frills trusts me completely, though we have our own set of joint and individual accounts we keep; I'm basically our financial planner and I give her a monthly run down of stock and flow of funds. Very open with all of our commitments and investments.

And she has her own set of decent timepieces to keep her occupied.

Also, since her wrist is only 1/4" smaller than mine, she enjoys all my watches too. Much to my chagrin sometimes when she decimates some of them given her watch wearing habits.

Also, till around four years ago she made much more money than I did so she and I have had few issues about who contributes what to the pot.

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Doing some Exploring today.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  5. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Likewise...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

To the women we love! [​IMG]

Say, can anyone recommend a good hunting ground for pre-owned Grand Seikos? The usual channels are underserved..

2 people like this.
  7. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

I'll drink to that :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

There's an Australian watch shop that has some used Grand Seikos in stock:

http://www.vintagewatchco.com.au/watches/CategoryID/53

9. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Some of my eclectic collection of watches (I need another watch box for the others):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    3 people like this.
  11. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I see your Seamaster Pro and it reminds me that mine is still in the mail and shouldn't arrive before the end of the week - I hate the waiting game!

3 people like this.
  12. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Time to break out the metal bracelets for warm weather!

Also, does anyone have advice on how to clean grime off gator straps?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  13. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

You needed to be reminded??? If I had something like that coming in the mail I would obsessively and compulsively check the tracking number a dozen times each day.

2 people like this.
  14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

A brief follow up - I stopped in at EWC and checked out the Cream dial 16550, the 1979 SD, and the Explorer 2 1655. I was not impressed with any of them. All had unfortunately been subjected to over polishing of the lugs. Not a single one had anything close to the crisp original bevel. In addition, I could see why you were underwhelmed by the bracelets, all shows signs of rough lives and had a lot of stretch (although one could purchase a new bracelet and resolve that issue). The cream dial 16550 was maybe in the best shape, but I didn't think the dial was very attractive, and again still not in a condition that I would actually consider it for a purchase. For what they were asking, I would keep searching if you were truly interested in a vintage Rolex Ex2 or SD...just my 2 cents.

Also for our Boston natives, Mrs. Dino and I grabbed a quick snack at the Oak Bar in the Copley Fairmont. The Waygu meatballs were a bit tough on the outside (I should have gotten the stone fire flat bread pizza). The Whoopie Pie with marshmallow gelato was really good but I'd need to ask for more chocolate sauce on a future visit.
    [​IMG]
    Then we had dinner with friends at Bar Boulud. Had a great meal, shrimp appetizer to start, they gave us a pasta course on the house, I had a New York Strip Steak, then a chocolate dessert. Definitely worth a visit !

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  15. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

She's a bloody keeper there no frills!!!

16. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

I must say I am greatly appreciating this new trend of posting watches together with delicious looking food.

3 people like this.
  17. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ +1 I gotta try and do likewise soon.

18. mimo

mimo Senior member

I beg to differ. It's bad enough on Facebook, etc. Please, I don't give a shit what you had for dinner. Want watches.

Oh alright, just sometimes then. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sorry if its that offensive to you. There are watches in the photos, so its relevant, and it shows watches with a different background. If all people want to see are pix of watches then they can go on TZ, google, or look at stock photos. We've had plenty of pix and discussions that are at best only indirectly related to watches and sometimes not at all related but simply because people wanted the opinions of posters here about a particular purchase or topic. As much as I love wrist shots and macro shots, if there is nothing else in the background after a while all the pix look the same. I'm sure we've all looked at pix or read posts here that don't always interest us. So be a sport and if you don't like it avert your eyes and skip to the next post. [​IMG]

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

I am always a sport, just in the mood to be an ornery dick for the sake of it. Must go home and post some fun watch pics to redress the balance. Maybe I'll post my lunch, too! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.