• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, you've got a point about the size of the seconds hand dial. But if I am going to get a dual time zone watch then I cannot find one which I like better than the Lange. As I say, it's just the price that is slowing me down, both the outlay and the prospect of having something on my wrist worth more than my car. I'm sure I'll get over it though!
My issue with the subdials as mentioned, is just a small issue. If that is the design that you like and you will enjoy it, then that is all that matters. Ah...price is always a factor. If price weren't an issue on many items...I'd probably have more watches, and maybe more cars.

As for a watch being worth more than your car...I don't consider that a big deal. At times I've owned a watches that were worth more than my car. Unless you are talking a truly collectible car, most cars (even nice ones Lexus, BMW, MBs, etc) depreciate very quickly and can be worth a lot less than a nice watch. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide about the Lange.

Winot

Reaction score

No, I mean the Master Hometime, part of the Master collection. 40mm in diameter, 11.7mm in thickness.
Got it - thanks. Looks nice but not as nice as the Lange. Will try to find one irl.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
It's not as nice, but it's also no where near the price ($7-8K US). I prefer the JLC Master Geo to the Master Hometime, but it's a different look so I didn't suggest it. I'm not sure what you what your thought process is, what other watches you have, or how comfortable you are spending a certain amount, so ignore the following advice if it doesn't apply. If you are just after one watch, and you like the look and functionality of the Lange Dual Time, save and get that one (or maybe a Patek 5134, though I still prefer the Lange). But if the price makes you uncomfortable, or would prohibit you from having a slightly largely collection (if that is something you would want), I would look at something like the JLC Hometime as an alternative.

Winot

Reaction score

It's not as nice, but it's also no where near the price ($7-8K US). I prefer the JLC Master Geo to the Master Hometime, but it's a different look so I didn't suggest it. I'm not sure what you what your thought process is, what other watches you have, or how comfortable you are spending a certain amount,  so ignore the following advice if it doesn't apply. If you are just after one watch, and you like the look and functionality of the Lange Dual Time, save and get that one (or maybe a Patek 5134, though I still prefer the Lange). But if the price makes you uncomfortable, or would prohibit you from having a slightly largely collection (if that is something you would want), I would look at something like the JLC Hometime as an alternative.

Thanks for the useful input. I'd like a dual time zone watch and the Lange is the nicest I've seen. At the end of the day I can afford it (with a bit of saving) and so I suspect I will get it - I don't see the point of getting a No. 2 choice where I'm always be going to be thinking 'if only I'd got the Lange'.

My nervousness about price is more of a psychological barrier iykwim. Up until a year or so ago I'd not spent more than GBP 700 on a watch (I've got a Nomos Tetra, a Meistersinger and a 1962 Eternamatic). Then I splurged GBP 4500 on a Radiomir 337 I'd been eyeing for about a year. At the time it felt like a huge step - I couldn't imagine spending that much again any time soon. But the nervousness passed and the baseline was recailbrated. No doubt it will be again.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
newC!! CONGRATS!!!!

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nuke - the wife is choosing between the LV and LN for her Mother's Day gift. Trying both now (dealer trusts me not to scratch stuff up hahah).

She really loves my SubC ND but really wants a date function. And she doesn't mind (and even appreciates) the Rolex cyclops. Given her use habits having a ceramic bezel insert will also come in handy. So it's either the LV or LN for her.

Which do you guys think she should get? The one on top doesn't count - she has too much unfettered access to that one already.

Gotta be LV. With the no-date Sub and the incoming SD, that's going to be a lot of redundancy if you go LN. And yes, the Cyclops is cool. I used to think it was lame, but I've done a 180. Combined with the instant switch at midnight and ability to adjust any time without worrying about damaging the mechanism, I find it's the best big-date system available. Simple, effective, distinctive, and sounds like a leaf shutter on a quality camera.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luckily it's fake, huh? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

AHAHAHA! Exactly!

Y u h8te frilly?

cheers.gif

Frilly, that Rollie is nice and all but that Patek is the ****! I love those Patek's of yours!

Thanks, Betelgeuse! A bit more under the radar too (I think)...

Great choice and wise decision
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Those cheap fakes have come really a long way!
biggrin.gif

Haven't they? Before you know it they will be as expensive as the real thing.
1159[1].gif

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

love this

Oh yeah, I miss that blog; it was insightful and not completely toothless. Most of the current ones seem to be infomercials. Hodinkee is the best-quality one these days without a doubt and their original content is top-notch, but they don't offer much critique.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Congratulations, Nuke!

(And Frilly, get both, it's only a matter of time...and you have shoes to match the LV)

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Congratulations, Nuke!  

(And Frilly, get both, it's only a matter of time...and you have shoes to match the LV)

Thanks Mimo! Gosh, was over on TPP this morning, for my daily pre-work surf, and saw some vintage Rollies. I really want a 1675.

And the bakelite version (I think):

Some other pretties...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads