1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

I see your Aston Martin and raise you... Singapore Airlines???

[​IMG]

Instead of Hong Kong at GMT +8 which is used in the regular Hometime, Singapore is used, which makes it vaguely interesting, but that co-brand thing makes it look like a cheap corporate gift or at best, a souvenir watch you can buy inflight shopping.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  2. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you have had any experience with servicing a basic movement, time only watch, I would like to know the cost.
    I have been quoted something that seems pretty high, but I have no idea. It is not from an AD service center - just a reasonably reputable watch repair place.

3. jdough422

jdough422 Member

Hey guys, I'm slowly falling in love with this Omega Seamaster AquaTerra Master 41.5mm....I have a Baume and Mercier Classima which was my first "higher end" watch and have it on a blue ribbon band which matches the hands and goes well...then a JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon 39 as a dress-y watch but also wear to work and regular nights out...this would be my third watch, after 2 white faces and leather/clothe bands. Thoughts on This watch or experience with watches in this league? Never had a metal band, as I'm just more of a boring leather guy, and prefer leather bands in general, but will suck it up for this one (also I can wear it in the water).

FYI, I'm 31 yr old, work as an entrepreneur in the financial technology space and just got into watches about 2 years ago so I certainly dont consider myself knowlegdable on most topics in the time piece world!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. dopey

I can't stand the date function on this watch (or any other non-perpetual or annual calendars). If this didn't have one, it would probably be my first choice sport watch (well, the smaller models would be). It is an excellent design and movement. If the date function doesn't bother you, you will probably be very happy with it.

5. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Nice all-arounder with an interesting movement and good finishing. I think you've made a fine choice. Been enjoying this one over 4 years now.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. jdough422

jdough422 Member

Wow the White is beautiful as well!!! Thanks for the feedback

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

It's very nice in the flesh. Although personally, I prefer the blue one - especially the GMT version. Or the white one above.

But if you're in the market for a slightly sporty watch on a bracelet, there is just so much choice around, especially if your budget is flexible. But in the 1000-10000 Euros bracket, let's say, I'm sure there are at least twenty off the top of my head that I like, new or used, covering every point between.

I'd suggest you read back a few years here (!), but also go and try on a whole load of watches: what's good on the screen, or even in the window, isn't always the same as what's good on your wrist.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Omega make fine watches.

1 person likes this.
  9. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

As always, consider Rolex Explorer and similar, depending on budget.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Well that's one way to ruin a watch. I like the dark brown dial on the steel case, but the mustard yellow Singapore Airlines logo makes no sense, unless as you mentioned it was a corporate gift. If you don't work for them or own the company, why have a logo branded watch. I like Heinz ketchup, but I don't think I'd need a tomato logo on watch even if I like the watch and the ketchup separately. However, there must be a bunch of people that love co-branded watches because they keep releasing them.

Sounds like you have a good start to a growing collection. The Seamaster AT is a good watch that should serve you well. I'm not a fan of the hour markers with the metal "V" shape surrounding the lum, but that's just my 2 cents. I would also maybe consider a Rolex Explorer or Milgauss, and search some websites as their may be other companies offering something that might be of interest such as Breitling, IWC, etc...

11. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

If you don't mind used, you can find an Omega Railmaster. No date on it and IMHO has a little more character than the AquaTerra. Not my pic. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

I like this. But "Railmaster"??

13. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Lol. Still better than Patek Philippe's 'Grandmaster Chime'

1 person likes this.
  14. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Love it. Sounds like an 80s rapper. He'd be west coast I think.

2 people like this.
  15. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Sorry, I have to pick up on this again. Railmaster? So they're sitting around brainstorming new models. "We've got the Speedmaster, the Seamaster. Those are real classics. What direction are we going for this model? I'm seeing rail travel. The golden age of steam. The wearer will want to be the Railmaster."

1 person likes this.
  16. kimmo

kimmo Senior member

Thanks! I was very tempted on the Cermet but it would have been probably 2 k€ more.

As for 25%, PM me for details if you need the contact, but 5-10% of that is negotiation skills and 15-20% is the normal discount at a multibrand AD. If you look at the European events, first the Russian crisis and ruble free fall killed those customers in EU countries and then the Swiss - Euro breakup with the resulting price hikes did the rest. I would say watch sellers are keen to make a deal. Also, I honed the deal down with the managing director directly so I felt I got a pretty good deal but he also made a buck.

Delivery is anything between next week to 8 weeks, depending if the importer has stock or the Swiss elves have to sharpen their pickaxes to start digging the iron. I've prepared for a 4-6 week wait.

Thanks!

Will deliver!

Most of the co-branding is usually dismal, I was actually surprised how muted this was. However, it's still there and it was one of the deciding factors.

I fail to understand why JLC doesn't offer black dial on Hometime at all. On the other hand, there are strong rumours they are discontinuing the Hometime completely, so that might explain something. Next week probably gives us news on either direction.

Fugly.

17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG]

Well, I suppose its better than being the Steammaster, or the Balloonmaster (although that second one sounds like it would either be worn by a plastic surgeon [​IMG] or a guy who makes balloon animals at kids' birthday parties).

18. mimo

mimo Senior member

From Antiquorum:

Quote: Write up on the original watch at the 'Dink.

Don't I sound smug? I had no idea, really, just seemed to remember the name from something or other and sent a letter to Googlestan.

Edit: Ah! I know where I remember it from: the "Railmaster XXL" 48mm monster that they put out as a special a couple of years ago. I saw one in Dubai on my tyre-kicking adventure.

1 person likes this.
  19. dopey

And some more info on the Railmaster:
    http://www.rochpro.com/watchgallery/albumrailm.html

It's hardly a new model and the design of the current model is little more than modernizing the original design.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    While it has no day counter, which I like, it also uses an older movement. The new Omega movement is really first rate. The older one used in the Railmaster is, I think, a modified ETA with the co-axial escapement and some other changes.

2 people like this.
  20. SurakiCrim

SurakiCrim Senior member

Greeting,
    I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this watch, it's my dad's.
    I narrowed down to roughly early to Mid 60s (Based off the rose at the 12)
    The thing that throws me off is the vertical and horizontal line on the face intersecting in the middle.

Essentially if you can help answer: is it legit, model, what's the average value,and what color strap you think would look nice with it ha

Also, I only have this picture of it.. Don't have my hands on it yet.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.