• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is that it is magnetized. Any decent workshop should be able to fix that for you.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For accuracy, look here: http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/accuracy.shtml

Rotor noise is just that. It's fairly common with some designs and isn't a sign of trouble.

Do you take your watch off a night? How do you store it? A movement can gain or lose time depending on what position it sits when off the wrist.

I have a mid 70s Rolex 1680 that was last serviced maybe seven years ago. When I wear it continuously it loses around 3 seconds a day. When I take it off and lay it on its back it gains 7-8 seconds a day.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's very informative, thank you so much! I usually donut take my watch off at night, but I have considered start doing it, which would also be a good opportunity to experiment a bit with the position I leave it in. I will read through the link you posted, seems very informative. Thanks again!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I hope you can help me with a bit of advice.

A year ago I bought my first quality watch, this very nice 3717 that I had saved up to for one and a half year. I bought it second hand with box, papers etc. from a collector (I suspect), since the watch is from 2008 (as far as I remember) and came in very close to mint condition. I would appreciate to receive your thoughts on this; is the time loosing a sign of something serious being "wrong" inside watch and would I risk damaging it if I keep using it without handing it in?

As long as you didn't bang it against anything and then notice that its losing time, its unlikely anything serious is wrong. If you dropped it or hit it against something hard, there is the possibility something could have gotten damaged. It most likely, just needs an overhaul (they disassemble, clean, lubricate, and reassemble the movement). Its been a while since I've handled one of these watches, but from what I recall IWCs using some variation of a Valjoux 7750 as a base movement are pretty loud in terms of winding sound and its rotor feels a bit more clunky and heavy compared to say a Rolex or Cartier.

As for whether wearing it will harm it, again only you and the previous owner know what it has endured in the last 6 years or so. Many manufacturers recommend service every 5 years or so, (less water resistant pieces I've seen them say 3 years). So according to average standards your watch is due for a service. I've seen Rolex watches go 10-15 years without service and not suffer any ill effects from regular wear with delayed service. However, how often a watch may need service can depend on what you subject it to and whether its a daily wearer. If you are truly concerned about something you may have done in the past damaging it, then don't wear it for now and wait until you get it back from service. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as you didn't bang it against anything and then notice that its losing time, its unlikely anything serious is wrong. If you dropped it or hit it against something hard, there is the possibility something could have gotten damaged. It most likely, just needs an overhaul (they disassemble, clean, lubricate, and reassemble the movement). Its been a while since I've handled one of these watches, but from what I recall IWCs using some variation of a Valjoux 7750 as a base movement are pretty loud in terms of winding sound and its rotor feels a bit more clunky and heavy compared to say a Rolex or Cartier.

As for whether wearing it will harm it, again only you and the previous owner know what it has endured in the last 6 years or so. Many manufacturers recommend service every 5 years or so, (less water resistant pieces I've seen them say 3 years). So according to average standards your watch is due for a service. I've seen Rolex watches go 10-15 years without service and not suffer any ill effects from regular wear with delayed service. However, how often a watch may need service can depend on what you subject it to and whether its a daily wearer. If you are truly concerned about something you may have done in the past damaging it, then don't wear it for now and wait until you get it back from service. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Couldn't have said it better.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is that it is magnetized. Any decent workshop should be able to fix that for you.
I think the timing issue on his watch would be way off if it were magnetized (and not merely a few seconds off a day). My wife used to work near an MRI department in a hospital and her watch went completely crazy when it got magnetized. IIRC, it had jumped in time by more than an hour. In addition, I thought many of the IWC pilot watches have an iron core to shield if from magnetic fields.

Still, its a good practice not to rest a watch on top of speakers, or alarm clocks with radios etc., in case one switches to a watch without antimagnetic qualities or shields.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Yep, I agree. Even if a watch was in a safe for 5-7 years, for instance, I'd service it. Probably moreso than if it were used, actually.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
cheers.gif

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@NonServiam I love that omega. I want something along the lines of that for my formal watch. The simplicity is beautiful.

@no frills , how the **** do you fit into a suit? Are all your suits bespoke?
Re: bespoke. Yup.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone has a Rolex deepsea here? I want to get a diver and am drawn to Deepsea. Little concerned about weight though, I tried it and all but not sure if I will like it in the long run. As has been discussed, subs are too pedestrian so I don't want one :)

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:

Thanks for the very detailed feedback, it makes very good sense. I have not really saved my watch in any way (IMO it doesn't make sense to buy an expensive watch if you can't wear it all the time), but then again I can't think of any recent event that should have caused the sudden loss of seconds. Anyway, I'll have too handle it in within a couple of months, and then hopefully it'll be accurate upon return (and for the next years to come). Again, thanks for the input!

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone has a Rolex deepsea here? I want to get a diver and am drawn to Deepsea. Little concerned about weight though, I tried it and all but not sure if I will like it in the long run. As has been discussed, subs are too pedestrian so I don't want one
smile.gif
nest.gif

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about waiting for the Seadweller re-issue? It will be coming to ADs within the next couple of months.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not so interested in reissue of SD, not for that price anyways. I guess I already made up my mind on Deep Sea, just seeing if anyone can talk me out of it. It would be more of a weekend watch or for warm days when I just roll up my shirt sleeves.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not so interested in reissue of SD, not for that price anyways. I guess I already made up my mind on Deep Sea, just seeing if anyone can talk me out of it. It would be more of a weekend watch or for warm days when I just roll up my shirt sleeves.
If your mind is made up then go for it. Personally, its one of my least favorite models available from Rolex. I would rather have the as you describe it pedestrian Sub or a new Sea-Dweller when its released. Not really, sure why you think the Deep-Sea is less pedestrian? I find it quite similar, just not as well designed as Subs.

As much as I like Rolex (I own several), I find the Deep-Sea to be very poorly balanced and poorly proportioned. I find it incredibly top heavy, and what is worse, at its gargantuan size, Rolex barely did anything about widening the bracelet so the bracelet looks puny relative to the case size. Its as though Rolex ran of of money when it came to completing the Deep-Sea's design and they simply grabbed an oyster bracelet off a much thinner and smaller Sub, and thought no one would notice. I also find that because its so top heavy, its just not that comfortable. IMHO with the exception of its movement, its simply about having an extra large Submariner.

But if that's your dream watch, go for it and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads