• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@TC (Houston) @Omega Male

Just for you, and as I'd seen it in the window, I used a quiet afternoon to get some close-up feelings on this:

It's a lot of watch. It's a lot of fun. It's also quite a lot of money - but at about the same price as the standard ROC, it doesn't seem exploitative. The ROC is more classy for sure, with its engraved tapisserie against the (stamped?) coloured dial of the Safari, while the Safari has that crazy strap and all those interesting shades playing off each other. There would definitely be room for both in a baller collection. One thing that I find almost perverse is that the ROC has a solid caseback, where the more sporty and bouncy Safari has the crystal. But I guess that's just the ROC being all serious about its credentials and the Safari wanting to show its butt.

Yep, OM, you could wear this and be happy, I suspect. :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^
The regular RO chrono is cool. The meaningless Offshore versions tend go stale rather quickly.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I'm not an expert on watches, so I appreciate the advice.

I have a pretty good idea what kind of dress watch I would buy in terms of appearance, but I'm not sure where to buy it. Is there a go-to place for buying watches on the internet? E-bay? Amazon? I always see watches on huge discounts everywhere, so I'm confused as to whether or not they are good deals.
There are many sources for watches. However, it really depends on brand, whether you want new, used, or whether its something expensive and whether there are lots of fakes on the market. If you are new to watches, you really need to take your time, do some research and homework to educate yourself before you buy something. If its not a very expensive piece, then chances are not really any fakes and there probably isn't much room to negotiate on price. Wishing you luck. Have fun with your research.

^^^
The regular RO chrono is cool. The meaningless Offshore versions tend go stale rather quickly.
+1 Spot on.
fistbump.gif
I love RO's but I find the Offshores tiresome and looking the same. I don't get why people go so crazy for a new limited edition Offshore when the big change is the color of the hands, numerals and stitching on the strap...but if AP can get their collectors crazy for the same watch with different color stitches and hands more power to them.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Ah, Belli, such a grouch. You're right, I think, at least in general. But I'm just saying that among the Offshores, the Safaro is capable of raising smiles if you're of that way of thinking. Which you're not. This much I know. However, while I was in there...

I actually really wanted to try this on, because I've not seen the black ROC up close before, and wanted to see how it feels. In the context of my crush on the VC Overseas Chrono, I also wanted to have a quick comparison in mind with its nearest rival. It is indeed most awesome, though as I think I've speculated before, they are very different animals. Especially with the black dial, there is an air of intense seriousness about the ROC. The razor-sharp edges everywhere, if not uncomfortable, are certainly not designed to be friendly. The VCOC is a lot more cuddly and subtle (despite Dino's dislike of its excess malte motifts), whereas this, especially in its more recent 41mm size, is directly and overtly looking for a fight. It is very, very cool, and definitely desirable. They are too different to choose easily, and "both" would again be the obvious TWAT logic.

But why hide that movement away? So does the VCOC. Ordering a display caseback should be factored in to purchase of either maybe, unless you're just too tough to care. :)

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I heard that mini-stitch already called dibs on the Reverso Squadra.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I love RO's but I find the Offshores tiresome and looking the same. I don't get why people go so crazy for a new limited edition Offshore when the big change is the color of the hands, numerals and stitching on the strap...

The standard RO is definitely more classy, but don't most makers do this at least to a point? And as for their customers, well, not so long ago I'm sure there was a guy with five different Submariners...but I might have dreamt it.
nest.gif

Anyway, yeah. This is fun, isn't it?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
By the way, I hadn't seen one of these before:

The 39mm case definitely makes it a more subtle size for suit accompaniment. But I have to say it didn't sing to me. Maybe it's how brightly the subdials stand out, or just that I'm not used to the layout. Maybe it's that I don't really like day-dates for reasons I can't quite fathom - something along the lines of not usually needing to be told the day of the week! Or maybe it's the more gentle size with the mean black dial not quite floating together. Each to his own. This one's a Royal Oak, so it's nice. But it's not lighting any fires for me. Weirdly, I like it more now that I'm looking at the picture of it, than I did when it was in my hand. The absence of other ROs and things around it might be helping!

Last edited:

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never been a watch guy, and I've been reading the thread.  Very interesting, but it is a long thread, and I keep on coming around to what has been my favorite since I was in grad school. 

What would you guys think about us holding a little contest?  Something like who can think of the best watches under $1K, the best under $5K, and the best under, say, $15K (I am not going to buy a $20K watch just yet.)  I could make 3 different threads, and then we could vote on the best list.  We'd make it interesting.  So, winner in each category (with a minimum of say, 15 entries per category,) would get a special title related to watches, and a Drake's tie from Greg's store, to match one of the watches on the list.  We could vote on the tie as well.  Any interest?

Cheers,

Fok.

I'm in! Good one Fok.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I know it is closed minded, but I am a fan of the jumbo and 15300 only.
The ROO and even the RO chrono or other variations aren't my cup of tea.

If I could have 2 APs, I'd buy the Offshore Diver. Since that will never happen, it is Jumbo or no APs for me. So basically, no APs for me.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The standard RO is definitely more classy, but don't most makers do this at least to a point? And as for their customers, well, not so long ago I'm sure there was a guy with five different Submariners...but I might have dreamt it.
nest.gif

Anyway, yeah. This is fun, isn't it?
Hi Mimo, I completely understand having variations of a model, such as a vintage big crown shoulderless Sub, a Red Sub, a 1680 in Gold, and a modern Sub of some sort. I think its interesting to see the evolution of a model. However, AP, Omega, IWC and a few others seem to release limited editions so often, that to me their limited editions don't seem very special or unique. Simply changing the inscription on the back and the hands and calling it the "Lebron Blew his Nose on Tuesday Edition," or the "45th Anniversary of the Date on Which the Astronauts got their Hair Cuts Prior to Landing on the Moon," just makes each limited edition seem watered down and less important.
I actually really wanted to try this on, because I've not seen the black ROC up close before, and wanted to see how it feels. In the context of my crush on the VC Overseas Chrono, I also wanted to have a quick comparison in mind with its nearest rival. It is indeed most awesome, though as I think I've speculated before, they are very different animals. Especially with the black dial, there is an air of intense seriousness about the ROC. The razor-sharp edges everywhere, if not uncomfortable, are certainly not designed to be friendly. The VCOC is a lot more cuddly and subtle (despite Dino's dislike of its excess malte motifts), whereas this, especially in its more recent 41mm size, is directly and overtly looking for a fight. It is very, very cool, and definitely desirable. They are too different to choose easily, and "both" would again be the obvious TWAT logic.

But why hide that movement away? So does the VCOC.
Over all I enjoy your analysis of the various watches you have tried on. I'm not really sure that I find a 42 mm Overseas more cuddly. I guess I find that an odd impression of a large chunk of steel. As for the Overseas I like the bezel, but the dial with cheese grater guilloche on the time only model, or the various sizes of subdials on the chrono, just don't work for me, and as I've already mentioned, I find its repeating Maltese Cross bracelet too much brand advertising and bordering on garish. I think one of the differences between the ROC and the Overseas Chrono is that the ROC looks like a variation of an iconic watch design that has been around for over 40 years. The current Overseas is merely the next generation of luxury sports watch from VC. It could be around a few more years or just get replaced by a completely different version, as they continue to search for an identity for their sports watch. They started with the 222, which evolved into the hideous 333, then there was the bland and unattractive Phideas, followed several years later by the 1st generation Overseas, and now there is the current version of the Overseas. Many of VCs older sports watches just look dated, while RO variations and Nautilus models seem to have survived the test of time (much like maybe Porsche 911s of the watch world). They are still handsome and relevant watches...while VC's sports watches seem to change every 5 to 10 years. Maybe some people like that, but IMHO its sort of a weakness in their ability to design a sports watch that is a good representation of the brand. Interestingly, I do hear some VC collectors occasionally lament VC giving up on the 222 too early, and wishing for a re-release as part of the Historiques collection. As you know I really do like VC products, just not their sports watches.
As for your statement about the closed case back on both the AP and the VC, AP seems to have a history of not displaying movements that are not completely their own, be it in the ROC, the RO Dual Time, and the RO Day& Date. Beyond that, both the ROC and the Overseas chrono both house the F.Piguet 1185 as a base movement, which is relatively small. Its used in my 38mm Cartier Pasha chronograph, but I believe it has also been used in 36/37mm BPs. So I believe its a matter of them not wanting to display that the movement in side the 41mm ROC or the 42 VC Overseas is really rather small for their case sizes.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Hehe...yes, I did make that comment to the SA about whether AP just hide away their non-original movements. He was...not exactly well-informed on the matter, but I'm sure you're right about the relative size being a factor too. As for the cuddliness of the VCOC, I guess it just touched me in a personal way! But I know you're right about the evolutionary iterations of a classic over the Jay-Z's Mama edition - I just love it when you jump up and down. :)

BKotsko and Tifosi, I can totally relate. However...

The Jumbo in all its perfection is the king of ROs in my mind, too. And having compared some time back the 39mm chronos with the newer 41mm size, I'd found the latter a bit unnecessary. It works with the big mean black chrono above, but what I'd not expected, was how much I like the 15400. It was there, I took a look, and for all my anti-day-counter prejudice (actually I still wish that wasn't there), it doesn't really matter: this thing is special.

The extra size, and the highly-polished inner side of the case above the dial, really open up the face of the watch, and with a silver dial too, it seems the tapisserie and all its intricate workmanship are opened up to the world. I think this is the first time I've really appreciated it. With a loupe, the minute machining of those little squares really becomes apparent, but with different lights and angles, every surface on this thing just lights up even for the naked eye.

Take a look at the pics above and below, and how different angles play tricks with your eyes - optical illusions making the dial look like it's bent in different directions. Remarkable.

All that, and that lovely movement on display too.

At about half the price of the Jumbo, I have to say it's very attractive indeed. But I'm preaching to the choir: our TWAT brother has one, and now I know why. As the eternal adage goes, there's no substitute for seeing something on the wrist...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads