1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

As I like to ask my clients, what's your endgame? We like to chat about watches, admire each other's, argue about obscure minutiae from time to time. Do you want us to say "nice watches"? Even the fakes?

So some random guy waltzes in and posts and bunch of watch pictures, some of which are fake, immediately stating off on the wrong foot. To add insult to injury he then goes on the defensive, before eventually coming clean. Thanks for the entertainment, but forgive us for not exactly setting out the welcome mat.

If you'd like to join the discussion, please feel free. But don't expect people to fall at your feet and worship you because you or your dad have a bunch of nice watches.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    5 people like this.
  2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

Gaaah! Stop taunting me!

OK, don't...

4. Classic37

Classic37 Member

I just wanted to share. Like everyone else does. Didn't take the fancy instagrammed pictures and what not, clearly not looking for praise. But it seems as if I make a mistake on one then I make a mistake on all. And that isn't fair to me.

I went on the defensive actually thinking they were real. It's my fault for not checking before. But it's also not fair to say they're all fake--which it seems you are doing.

5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Well, you fuck a goat once... you're a goatfucker.

6 people like this.
  6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Here is some advice that people would probably appreciate....

Speak to your father. Ask him where he bought/acquired the watches. Get some info for the members so that there is a story behind the posts/watcehs. Was one watch a gift from his wife? Celebrate a milestone? Etc.

Put some effort and people may welcome you more vs just apologizing.

7. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:eh:

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

i need to eventually upgrade and get a watch, ever since the smart phone era i haven't been using watches much. It was only a matter of time until a smart watch came out, not sure if i want one but here is the apple 10k luxury watch. I know its not exactly what this thread talks about but i;d like to discuss and see what you guys think. I would always opt for a classic watch but things are changing and why not get a digital one that (not the 10k one for sure)?

[​IMG]

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

not again :embar:

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Actually, we talked about it a few pages back. :D

Welcome to the watch thread... a very dangerous place indeed.

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Goat fucking?

(I jest!)

1 person likes this.
  12. Winot

Winot Senior member

Thought I'd share my modest collection; request for advice coming next:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

ter, :rotflmao:

1 person likes this.
  14. mimo

mimo Senior member

FAKE!

There, I was first.

But seriously, nice collection. And preempting your request, please allow me to take the liberty of enabling the following:

- chronograph
    - traditional pilot
    - diver with rotating bezel

Just in case. :)

2 people like this.
  15. Winot

Winot Senior member

So, I've been chewing over my next watch and feel the need for something quite casual/sporty on a bracelet. Had a look at the Nautilus and Aquanaut range in a Patek boutique today and have also considered the Rolex Milgauss *but* have pretty much decided I don't like shiny bracelets.

So any pointers as to a fairly plain sports watch on a titanium bracelet, budget GBP 5-10K? I really like the look of the Omega Planet Ocean and will try that on asap, but I suspect it'll be too thick at 17mm.

Any other options?

16. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

I'd say anything with a stainless steel bracelet would be a good addition. Love your reverso!

1 person likes this.
  17. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

A Rolex Explorer 1 would be perfection in that collection. IMHO you find a better bracelet than the all brushed SS Oyster.

1 person likes this.
  18. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

I mentioned to everyone a few days ago I'd be in NYC on business and looking at some watches in the flesh. Flight to La Guardia got cancelled due to planes going sledding on the runway that day, but I was in Miami this weekend so I got a second chance.

I was hoping to go to the AP, JLC, Panerai, and IWC boutiques, but ended up only being able to get to the Design District area on a Sunday which meant IWC was my only option of those four. I spent some time with the Big Pilot and Portuguese Automatic as well as the Port. Chronograph Classic. I thought the port auto was really really nice in person. It fit my wrist nicely and the blue markers are nice in the flesh. I actually really enjoyed the look of the BP on my wrist but I didn't like the strap on my wrist very much. Maybe it was just new and stiff. Anyone wear this watch on something other than the original strap?

I also bopped into the Omega boutique to try on a Speedy in person. I loved it and I'll definitely be going after a vintage 145.012 or 145.022 in the next year.

19. Classic37

Classic37 Member

He just collects them. Most he's had for a while. The first Chopard is one he just got. He grew up really poor and worked his way out of projects, so he collects watches now. The story behind the fake ones was real too. He leaves them out in the open so if anyone tries to rob the house they'll think they got them. That's why they were accessible to me and I thought they were real. The mother of pearl Daytona is his favorite.

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

@Winot why not get the Speedy now, on a bracelet? Also, did you look at the IWC Ingenieur while you were there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.