1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I don't want to be the one to ask, but are your watches genuine? Certainly the pearl looks odd (misplaced) on that Submariner, plus the dial logo and bezel insert.

If I'm mistaken, then I apologize, just thought I'd ask.

2 people like this.
  2. Classic37

Classic37 Member

They are all real. No worries.

3. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

You're forgetting the Chinese. Apple is huuuuge in China, and so is bling. As much bling as you can possibly squeeze into anything. I'm predicting a vast majority of the market for the Apple Watch Edition will be in China. Interesting data point, the Apple Watch's first modelling stint was on the cover of Vogue China.

4. Classic37

Classic37 Member

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

that's why I did it :slayer:

8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

The richard lange is an awesome lange. It looks exactly identical to another watch I have so I passed. I'd love the Referenzuhr - have you considered that one tony?

9. jinjin1928

jinjin1928 Active Member

The apple watch is ridiculously priced!

Always go mechanical for me. Anyway sharing some of my collection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    4 people like this.
  10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I really like your choices, Jin.

11. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

That Glashütte looks marvelous!

12. jinjin1928

jinjin1928 Active Member

Thanks Mr. Moo and ShawnBC!

13. djh

djh Senior member

More than a couple of those Rolexes are fake. I would talk to whoever sold you those...

1 person likes this.
  14. Classic37

Classic37 Member

I'm sorry, but you're incorrect.

15. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I don't doubt that the Apple watch will sell. Even the model carrying a $9,600 premium for exclusivity alone (assuming there's about 50 bucks worth of gold in it).

In its current state, I think we'll mostly agree that the gold Apple Watch is a rather shameless status symbol given that it does little more than duplicate a subset the functions of the other three portable computers Apple users often carry around (Macbook, iPad, iPhone). Makes sense why Apple feel China is the largest market for it. Of course, all high-end watches are status symbols at some level. But at least mechanical watches can, to an extent, be justified as art. We can look through a display back entranced at the precise heartbeat of a balance spring; admire the many hand-machined and often painstakingly decorated components; ponder the heritage of a given complication...

I imagine owning one of these smart watches would add to the paradox of choice. "Should I reach all the way in my pocket and unlock my phone, or is the text message short enough for the Apple Watch's shorthand texting app?" I'm looking to reduce the electronics in my life, not find myself "needing" every new device on the market. I did actually spot a Samsung smart watch on my friend's young door man earlier this winter and asked him about it. He seemed quite passionate about it and said he enjoys how it decreases how often he has to interact with his cell phone. And there was some sort of walkie talkie app that seemed interesting.

Now I, and many here among us, generally won't wear anything on the wrist that can't charge itself (or require just a bit of simple winding). But the deep appreciation of tiny, labor-intensive, mechanical works of art is increasingly lost to the younger generations of digital natives. And with the economy as it is, many more yet can't see a mechanical watch as anything but an outdated device, the function of which has easily been replaced by half a dozen devices in any room, and one or two in the pocket. For that sort, a watch offering a platform for 21st century functionality at the wrist will probably be a breath of fresh air. It doesn't do much now. But it will, in time.

I kind of get it, even if I'm not going to buy one of these any time soon. But if, somewhere in the future, Seiko figured out how to power the onboard computer with a mechanical movement and created some techno-hybrid Reverso with an analogue COSC certified side.... well THAT I would probably find hard to ignore.

2 people like this.
  16. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I thought the same thing, even though I make no claims at being an expert from looking at users photos. Still...

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

All, maybe? I'm certainly no expert. But the VC and RO are fishy too!

Maybe this was going to evolve into a sales pitch "indistinguishable from the real thing for only 99.99+p&p"...not happening!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

I'm certain I recall seeing a high-end cellphone which had a mechanical watch movement in it which was wound when you opened and shut the case - so the thing worked as a normal cellphone but it had an integrated mechanical watch with a natty winding mechanism. I don't think the mechanism recharged the phone battery - that would be highly unlikely. Quite neat, but of course in five or so years the cellphone part will be obsolete and you're left with, at best, an impractical and cumbersome pocketwatch.

19. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

+ in fairness to the OP, can those calling 'fake' point out a few reasons why. Just interests me that someone new pops up with a raft of high-end watches and a few more well-established voices immediately call him on it. I'm certainly no expert and the photos are quite rough.

20. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

I'm no expert either, but I could've sworn there was another photo with a sub (which ShawnBC refers to in his above-quoted post) which now seems to have been deleted. That one was definitely fishy to me. Also, on the TT RO, the screws are all misaligned. My 15400 and all other pictures of ROs I've seen have screws aligned regularly around the bezel.

The date font on the day-date also looks odd, but there may be some vintage thing going on I'm not aware of.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.