1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JN41

JN41 Well-Known Member

Really like that watch on the right as well. I am ignorant, what kind is it?

Seiko 5 military watch. Can pick them up online for cheap (under $80).

2. jbmarine

jbmarine Senior Member

Where Neverland Ranch, Santa Monica, and the land
    Not a large watch collector but I have a question for the experienced.

The crystal on my Hamilton broke while I was in Paris this past week. The watch is very well-kept and I don't even remember hitting it. Nonetheless, seeing as it out of waranty does anybody have any experience with this kind of repair? Suggestions?

To replace the crystal on my Concorde was about 120, but I had it done for fairly cheap (or so the goniff told me) so I would think about the same price.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I would first try to swap it myself. Maybe snap the back open to see the case and serial numbers and give a quick call to Otto & Frei to see if they have a Hamilton or generic crystal to replace it.

Otherwise, I'd find the smallest local Hamilton retailer or watch repair store (i.e. not Tourneau) and ask them how much it would cost you to change it. A crystal should cost you between $4 and $20 (sapphire) so I would not spend $100+ on getting it changed.

4. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

I would first try to swap it myself. Maybe snap the back open to see the case and serial numbers and give a quick call to Otto & Frei to see if they have a Hamilton or generic crystal to replace it. Otherwise, I'd find the smallest local Hamilton retailer or watch repair store (i.e. not Tourneau) and ask them how much it would cost you to change it. A crystal should cost you between $4 and $20 (sapphire) so I would not spend $100+ on getting it changed.
    Why not Torneau? Too overpriced?

5. KtownGreg

KtownGreg Senior Member

A little IWC love

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

welcome back, moo missed you. I saw him cry.

7. KtownGreg

KtownGreg Senior Member

welcome back, moo missed you. I saw him cry.

Thanks. Is that a good thing?

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Why not Torneau? Too overpriced?
    They're douchebags, know nothing about watches and generally don't have watchmakers on site.

9. longskate88

longskate88 Distinguished Member

They're douchebags, know nothing about watches and generally don't have watchmakers on site.

LOL, I used to collect expensive watches, and it's funny to see their mood change when you show them you can afford what they sell. I'm 22, and used to get the upturned nose until I would ask if they carried the OEM strap for my Breitling, Omega, etc. After that they'll do anything to 'service' you [​IMG]

FWIW, most nice jewelry stores act the same way, but the one time I used Tourneau to switch a strap before I knew how, the guy put a big nick on top of the lug. No wonder they didn't charge and ushered me out quickly [​IMG]

10. dshin

dshin Distinguished Member

Seiko 5 military watch. Can pick them up online for cheap (under $80).

I picked one up from amazon a few mos back for around $70 or so. Definitely a great value.

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Stylish Dinosaur

Step 1: cut a hole in a box
    Step 2: put your junk in that box
    Step 3: make her open the box

love it!

12. MarkI

MarkI Distinguished Member

Cannot decide if I love or hate that band. Leaning twords love.

Really like that watch on the right as well. I am ignorant, what kind is it?

Contemplating that Seiko aswell, the only thing that turns me off is that it looks slightly small and I have big wrists. Can anyone who owns it chime in on how it looks on the wrist or post up some pics? Additionally how do you guys think it would look with a more formal leather band?

13. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

Contemplating that Seiko aswell, the only thing that turns me off is that it looks slightly small and I have big wrists. Can anyone who owns it chime in on how it looks on the wrist or post up some pics? Additionally how do you guys think it would look with a more formal leather band?
    I've got a 7 1/4 - 71/2" wrist and it looks fine on me. I don't really think it's a formal style watch but I've seen people try to dress up Seiko Monsters before so what do I know. I'm going to be putting mine up in the For Sale section soon if you're interested.

14. jgold47

jgold47 Distinguished Member

I've got a 7 1/4 - 71/2" wrist and it looks fine on me. I don't really think it's a formal style watch but I've seen people try to dress up Seiko Monsters before so what do I know. I'm going to be putting mine up in the For Sale section soon if you're interested.

what MM is it?

What are you selling it for?

15. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

what MM is it? What are you selling it for?
    38mm. It's exactly the same as the navy faced one below that unjung posted. I went a little nutty and picked up about 7 watches in the <600 range a few months ago and the Seiko is the only one I've actually worn more than once. I have since decided to minimize my watchdrobe and go with maybe 2 or 3 much nicer pieces. I'll be putting up a Seiko Spirit, Hamilton Jazzmaster, Christopher Ward Aviator, and possibly a Tissot Le Locle as well. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in it.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.