1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

But that is an average 'no? What if they open your watch up and it requires a lot more time?

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

^^^ Mind you, there are a number of ways to possibly increase efficiency. Shortest processing time instead of FCFS, etc etc. Scheduling more "predictable" efforts, as you mentioned. I may sound like I'm defending Patek, but I sure didn't sound like this when it took them two months to replace the pusher caps that one of my chronographs lost. "If the part is in stock, isn't it relatively as simple as replacing a watch strap?"

In any case, these are all tired old topics which we've discussed here in TWAT. And it's endemic to a bunch of watch companies. For example - and there are plenty of AP owners here, so correct me if your experience suggests differently - here are two cases in the past 18 months:

1. AP salmon dial, sent to Geneva. Complete service, no change in parts. Original estimated time, 8 weeks. Took over a year, and cost almost CHF3,000 (about USD3,100 or so given today's exchange rates). Just returned to my friend about a month ago.

2. AP Jumbo purchased on auction, sent to Geneva. Bezel needed replacing, and was also serviced completely. Took several months, and cost SGD3,600 (about USD2,700).

Relative to that, Patek's USD1,600 or so charge for servicing a Grand Complication (if no replacement parts are needed), seems rather affordable, especially since the APs above cost a fraction of, say, a Patek perpetual calendar chrono.

We can talk all day too about the relative ambiguity of pricing, etc - why did (1) above cost more than (2), when (2) required a part to be replaced? - and that's just the start of the litany of complaints about watch company service practices. But I also wonder if we see far more posts about complaints and disappointed expectations: how many of us have had great experiences with watch companies, and how often do we post and rave about that?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Some companies are doing a better job and some companies are doing a worse job. I think it is good to shine a light on it from time to time in hopes of the companies keeping cognizant of it. Or at least keeping potential buyers informed.

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

@Keith T !!! Congratulations and wear that beauty in good health!!!!!

5. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

I've always maintained I would never buy a nice pen because I would almost certainly lose it, but damn, some of those posted in the past few pages are niiiice.

Whats a good online shop to peruse (wide selection, decent prices) to look for something to kop? Entry level at this point of course, Dupont Chinese Lacquer maybe.

6. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I would highly recommend checking out a few in person first if at all possible. I'm really a pen newb and I only have a few but trying them out in person really does make a difference. The thickness, the weight, and the overall feel really does make a difference.

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Congrats Keith! Looks great.

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

+1. Also - WRITE with them. On a variety of paper, if possible.

@aleksandr - if you can make it to a Pen Show (like the one they had a couple of weeks ago in Los Angeles), then you can try out a variety of pens and choose between modern and vintage. Here's a list:

http://fpgeeks.com/pen_shows/

My two cents worth - in the beginning you'll need to relearn some new habits, and you may in fact lose or drop an expensive pen. Buy with a credit card with some form of purchase protection, heh heh. Also, a pen should make you WANT to write more, not just use them for functional stuff like signing bills or checks, etc. And a big part of that experience is the nib/feed. Otherwise you'll end up with an expensive desk ornament that you just pull out when you need to write down something relatively insignificant.

Since I got my Nakayas late last year / early this year I've written down about 120 pages in my journal, in cursive that I've been trying to relearn! Hah hah.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I agree in terms of not wanting to rush a company or watchmaker in terms of finishing servicing my watches. I have been to an IWC watch making event where I got to disassemble and reassemble a basic but rather large movement and it was a bit tough to do without scratching any parts of the movement. So I wouldn't want a watchmaker to hurry with my watches especially those with display backs.

As for service times, the last Rolex I had serviced I was quoted a turn around time of 10-12 weeks and I had it back in 7, which impressed me (previously when they quoted me 12 weeks it took 12 weeks to get it back). I've also sent a Cartier for service and the turn around time was also quoted as 12 weeks but it was back in 9 weeks. I also recall an AD that I shopped at quite a bit years ago had a sign up indicating that the Swatch Groups service centers were back logged for 20 weeks, and the back long was growing so please be patient and anticipate a 6 month wait to get your watch back.

Regarding the AP with salmon dial, any idea why was it sent to Geneva? Was it a particularly complicated piece? Most pieces such as time only or basic chronographs and smaller complications just get serviced at AP's service center in Clearwater, FL.

As for the second AP, I do know the steel bezel is quite costly on a RO...I think I've heard about $1,000.

In the end, while I wish service costs were less, and we could get a watch back from service quickly, as with anything involving service of a specialty item, I value workmanship and quality over mere speed.

Also, is it really just $1,600 to service a grand complication from Patek? I would have thought it would be more. I know a similar figure was accurate on their website in May 2010 http://www.patek.com/en/client-service/service-costs. I just wondered if it is still accurate today...I know several companies have increased service prices in the last 5-7 years.

10. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Quick two-part question:

1) When servicing a pre-owned GMT II 16710, would Rolex refinish/replace a scratched aluminum bezel insert?

2) Is there a reliable source for "spare" aluminum bezel inserts? In case one wanted to keep a few on hand...

As for pens. Nothing fancy, but I enjoy my Visconti.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

AFAIK, Rolex does not refinish a scratched aluminum bezel insert. Actually, I'm not aware that there is a way of refinishing them. Rolex might suggest replacing a scratched or very faded bezel insert, but they will only replace it if you agree to pay for a new insert. If you do not agree to pay for a new one and do not authorize its replacement, then it is my understanding they will not replace it.

12. BostonHedonist

Thank you Dino. And to the best of your knowledge, they'd still have bezel inserts on hand if need be? Any idea of the price to replace one? Just trying to factor in everything involved with a pre-owned purchase!

13. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Thanks guys....I'm very much looking forward to an extended honeymoon with this one.

I'll probably start going out of my way to dress up a bit more, just so I can wear the watch more frequently. :)

1 person likes this.
  14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, they would still have new aluminum bezel inserts. Rolex has stated they maintain a stock of parts for 20 years past a model going out of production. I haven't priced one in years...so my prices could have gone up over the years. IIRC they used to be about $75-85...but that was more than 10 years ago.

In addition, not sure if you are just looking to replace a scratched bezel or to buy extras. For extras, you may have better luck overseas. Rolex's US division has a strict trade in policy. They will not just sell you bezel inserts. They will only sell you one, in exchange for the one currently on your watch. They do not want people selling the parts on Ebay and then have someone cobbling together "Franken-watches" using authentic pre-owned Rolex parts. I'm not sure why they are so strict about that here in the US, and not as strict about that in other parts of the world. Hope this helps and good luck with your watch shopping.

15. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

yeah looks good

16. Mead

Mead Senior member

what about Mido? they have some nice models

17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Since this thread is now temporarily about pens, I have a question:

Do these pens experience any kind of bleed through? Like, if the paper is cheap and/or thin? I really like those pens but want to know if I should be concerned

18. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Bleed through is about the ink and the paper, not necessarily about the pens. (unless you press VERY hard)

19. BostonHedonist

Very useful information as always. Very reassuring. Now then. I can excitedly say: Incoming!

As for my search, I had a chance to compare both of the new ceramic models and an older 16710 in a final showdown. In the end I decided I'm just not sold on the BLNR, or ceramic in general. There's a certain soulfulness in the older models I found undeniable. And also, a surplus of people selling them off to upgrade!

Pics to come.

5 people like this.
  20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing some wrist shots when it arrives! This place is definitely becoming a very GMT Master friendly environment (regardless of bezel material).

Congrats again and hope it brings you many years of enjoyment! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.