1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I didn't hear about a color change. Our last Hermes purchase a few months ago still came in the iconic orange box with brown trim, and even a few weeks ago we saw someone carrying an orange Hermes bag, not to far from one of the boutiques. However, even if they had changed colors they have used orange as a color for so long that it would still be a good reason for Aleksandr or anyone else to associate the color orange with the brand.

2. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Agree. Same here.

3. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Then it must have been exclusive to breast wallets.

4 people like this.
  4. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

D'oh! :foo:

5. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

24 hours in and quite happy. Managed to navigate the tricky pins and collars bracelet resizing without losing anything. I really wanted this watch due to its titanium construction and in that regard it has not disappointed. I hadn't handled a titanium watch in the flesh and didn't expect the difference from steel (other than weight) to be so noticeable. Interestingly, I don't notice the weight difference as much as I thought but the feel of the metal is very distinct. I think the fact that titanium isn't cold to the touch like steel is the biggest difference. Also the surface treatment is more satin than brushed, with some polished highlights. It's surprisingly well done for a watch at this pricepoint.

As for the speedy, I ordered the standard hesalite moonwatch - the one that used to be the 3570.50 but now includes accessories and has been changed to 311.30.yadda.yadda.yadda. My watch vendor says they're in high demand so she's still waiting on delivery from Omega which has taken longer than expected.

6. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

I've thought about Hermes watches before. They have some interesting complications, like their Temps Suspendu and (I forget the exact name) masked hour, though I suspect the novelty would wear off rather quickly.

I also like the VC&A complications, but they're a little too bling for me. And also priced far out of reach.

:facepalm:

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

A friend had an Hermes watch years ago. It was ok, but I've never really been interested in owning one of their watches.

Another friend recently picked up a vintage VC&A Pierre Arpels watch, and he is very happy with it. My wife loves their jewelry and I like their cufflinks.

8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Shoot me a PM if you ever wanna sell one of those. :)

9. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Sure, stich! Afraid there's a bit of a line in front of you, starting in Norway :) I got these from an old local AD that were closing shop a few years back, and sold out a whole store full of mostly older watch stuff. I think there were 10-12 Rolex large window signs from the 60s and 70s as well, sold for a considerable undisclosed amount, and the buyer is probably doubling that in profit by selling them slowly and individually on eBay and TRF. Unless they are all in the basement of a certain collector I know of ...

There were more of the exact same AP signs, large and small, they were sold to local enthusiasts I talk to from time to time. If you are really interested, I'm sure I could hear if they are looking to sell?

I also picked up this awesome Patek Philippe dealer sign that I'm sure I've shown here before :slayer:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. no frills

no frills Senior member

^^^ NonServiam those are AWESOME.

11. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Amazing. I most definitely am interested, and do feel free to see if any of your buddies are looking to sell some AP signage.

:cheers:

12. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

I want a sign from a watch manufacturer about as much as I want a sign from the company that makes my toaster.

:sarcasm:

2 people like this.
  13. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Are those signs even swiss made? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. mimo

mimo Senior member

I never knew there was a market for such things. Eeenteresting...

15. velomatt

velomatt Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with Wilk Watchworks out of Canada?

Yeah, he is buying Asian and ETA movements, but so are a lot of the 'swiss' companies. Curious what you guys think.

I'm not huge on "brand", although I can appreciate the vertical integration of Rolex and the stuff that Nomos is doing to bring capabilities in house. But for a lot of the industry, they are essentially design houses.

https://instagram.com/wilkwatchworks/

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

These just appear to be fashion watches.

There is nothing wrong with ETA movements, most are good, solid, reliable movements. However, the finish can be drastically different at different price points. So don't make the mistake of lumping in $500 watches with being of the same quality in terms of fit and finish as say a $5,000 watch using an ETA movement.

Also, I'm not sure what the reference is to Rolex or Nomos. Both are far more than merely "Brand" names. They are much higher quality in terms of finish and workmanship, but at a very different price point than Wilk.

For $500 or less I would probably just get a nice solid Seiko...but that's just my 2 cents.

17. velomatt

velomatt Well-Known Member

Merely saying they stand out as doing more actual work on the time keeping parts of the watch. Rolex doing everything in house and Nomos working on their own escapement. I'm sure there are others. To me, that represents something more important than a company that is sourcing movements, making modifications and putting a big premium on the finished product because of brand and design. At that point, the value isn't in the watch's mechanics... so why pay the high price?

18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thank you for clarifying that. There is certainly something to be said for in house movements, and many companies today offer them. Sure, I can see you placing a greater value in that than someone modifying a movement and putting it in their own watch. That being said, you have to be careful that you are not merely lumping all watches together that use an outsourced movement. First not all outsourced movements are the same quality, and some are exceptional, in quality, finish, and exclusivity and are on many levels finer than what you will find in a Rolex or many other brand that make everything in house.

I certainly enjoy my Rolex watches, and they are really great quality. However, they are no where nearly as well finished, refined or exclusive as the movements (or watches) such as the Patek 5070 or 3700, Audemars RO Chronograph or Dual Time, or a VC Historique Chronograph, VC 222, or any of the Privee Cartier model. The aforementioned are anything but fashion watches, and the movements even if developed outside the company are top quality movements that rival and in some cases are nicer than most in house movements from other brands. The Wilk watches are basic fashion watches...nothing wrong with them, but nothing special.

19. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Hey gang, I have a few hours to kill in New York next Friday and wanted to check out some watches. I was planning on dropping by the IWC and Panerai boutiques. Any good places to just browse some vintage watches, maybe try some stuff on, or just chat with folks? I know some of the places are so small and it can be awkward just standing there looking at watches. Vintage Universal Geneve has really caught my eye lately but I am very uneducated on that brand. Do you think there's anywhere to take a look at a couple?

Thanks!

20. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

http://www.aaronfaber.com/WATCHES_home.asp

They've got a lot of very cool stuff - can't vouch for the prices, they're in expensive real estate though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.