1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Sometimes I just feel a little ballsy. A while back I was itching to find something I could put a bright red leather strap on and wear with a suit just for the hell of it.

Jeez that ROC is a chunk of gold. Would make a great paperweight. What a beauty. You must be delighted to have it back after that weight [edit: ha! I meant wait!]

I like that VC - I looked at one at an auction a while back and liked the look of it - one of those watches you don't see that often.

Edit 2: when I got my Speedy the guy threw in a really neat travel case. At first I thought it was a sunglasses case (thought wtf?) but inside is a really neat foam thingy to hold your watch safely in transit.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. Mead

Mead Senior member

Great looking Rolex

3. Mead

Mead Senior member

I recently got Longines Evidenza chrono, one of the nicest Tonneau in my opinion

4. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Just received the shogun! Easily exceeds my expectations. Given how many reports there are of poor dial/chapter ring alignment (prominent sellers even provide a disclaimer about it) I was very concerned that it would be screwed up, but it looks close enough to perfect for me. I had asked the seller in Japan to confirm alignment but given the language barrier it wasn't clear if they confirmed that it was perfect or confirmed they had the watch in stock. In any event, here's a quick snap for reference. Should have my moonwatch soon to complete the watch spree!

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ Nice!

1 person likes this.
  6. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Hard to beat a Seiko diver for quality/value....there's a reason that they are so often recommended.

@ wurger: great to see that awesome VC back in the fold! Pretty good turnaround time, compared to some horror stories that I've heard.

BTW, has anybody seen the latest (coolest?) walking advertisement for NATO straps? (I know there's plenty of 007 fans on here). Hell, I'd be surprised if SF doesn't already have thread on the whole filming wardrobe, but I rarely venture outside of TWAT these days

So who's up for a $200 piece of striped nylon:

[​IMG]

(pic courtesy of MI6-HQ)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    3 people like this.
  7. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Had this on today, love the versatility

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Root beer 16753 with tropical dial. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Can the root beer dial ever be considered going tropical or is that a black dial gone tropical? In any case, the root beer GMT is usually a love it or hate it. I find it interesting and something different but not something I would ever own.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I was never been a fan of the Bronze GMT, or root beers as they are now referred to, but they have come to grow on me. I've seen some tropical dials that look a lot better than that one. Hard to tell from a photo, but the area around the 6 marker makes me a tad concerned about possible water damage....I'm sure the watch runs fine...but I've not a fan of moisture damage to dials...tropical or not it detracts and reduces its value. I like the vintage hour markers...but I'm not a fan of old style Jubilee bracelets. They tend to have a lot of stretch/play in them, particularly the two tone Jubilee bracelets. Oysters can show some stretch, but in general, with 2 similarly worn pieces of similar vintages the Oysters often held up much better Jubilees.

Also, if considering vintage 2 tones, depending on how old, it could be 14Kt gold rather than 18kt. They switched sometime in the early 80's I believe. Not that its a bad thing for the watch...simply when considering price and condition, if comparing 2 similar pieces you may want to know if they are 14Kt or 18Kt.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  11. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

The root beer is awesome, particularily on a strap :slayer:

(Not my image ...)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

That Shogun looks superb. Big thumbs up from me. Congrats on the buy.

1 person likes this.
  13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

What's the reference number for the shogun?

14. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

From the description, the original dial was brown and is fading to red/orange.

This one is 18Kt.

15. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

SBDC007.

16. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I've been thinking about one for years, but haven't found the right one for the price I want to pay when I'm looking.

I like them best on a strap. The one you're showing looks good from the front. Beware of polished down lugs.

17. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

This is bloody awful.

2 people like this.
  18. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Yes, there's a thread on the latest Bond movie and the clothing and accessories here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/443077/the-suits-of-spectre-2015-the-latest-bond-film

You're right - it certainly doesn't look good.

It does appear that it's for a funeral scene (presumably a funeral for Judi Dench's "M" character), so at least he's got an excuse for wearing a black (or what appears to be black) suit. The fit doesn't look great, though, the collar pin is out of place with the three-piece suit in my opinion, and the NATO strap and Omega diving watch look awkward with the three-piece suit.

Why couldn't they have given him a DeVille on a leather strap to wear for the formal, funeral scene and Bond could then wear the Seamaster on the NATO strap for the action scenes?

19. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ I think the next film is set far beyond M's funeral. Besides, I believe her funeral was held at the end of Skyfall, albeit unseen. This funeral scene is set in Rome. M's funeral wouldn't be held there anyway.

20. no frills

no frills Senior member

What's all this chatter about yellow gold? Here's an 1803 and a 1011 I handled earlier at the Leffot vintage watch show:

[​IMG]

Also, this Datejust looks a little off. Why does it have a perpetual calendar and a moonphase? Ah. It's some aftermarket work. Probably worth nothing.

[​IMG]

(Franck Muller did the aftermarket work, this was his friend's DJ)

6 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.