1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would love to love a Grand Seiko. But I have yet to see one whose design isn't awful. What is baffling to me is that so often, Japanese design is fantastic. But I don't see anything Japanese in the design. I understand that the execution is meticulous, in that typical Japanese way, and that is great. But every single GS I have seen is ugly, or at best characterless and derivative.

2. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Frills! Your watch is getting wet!

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG]

The Ingenieur is a nice watch....but I'd gladly take a RO, Nautilus, or 222 over one. Just my 2 cents.
    I don't recall anyone saying that the finish is not well finished for its price point, nor do I recall anyone suggesting they do not have proper heritage. Sure they are not well known for making high end watches, particularly in the US, but they have been making good solid, reliable clocks and watches for over 100 years.

As for the COSC thing...its not really an important factor today. Whether or not a watch is a certified chronometer hasn't played any role in my purchases in many years, That is more of a marketing tool than a necessity for a fine watch. Most PP, Lange, AP, VC etc are not certified chronometers.

I will say I do have an issue with their designs. I just find them generic. I don't dislike them, but on the other hand I don't like them, nor do I find them better looking than anything else on the market.

I think the biggest obstacle to people purchasing a Grand Seiko is that most people have difficulty with the idea of spending several thousand dollars/Euros/GBP on a Seiko, when for the same money they can buy an Omega, Breitling, IWC, or Rolex. Brands that have greater prestige and recognition. Maybe it makes those people "Brand whores." If Kia or Hyundai made a car that cost as much as a BMW 7 series sedan, and it was made just as well, I would bet a lot of people would still buy the BMW just because it may have been their dream car and it carries a certain level of prestige, while a Kia probably wasn't their dream and is seen as less prestigious. When we look at or talk about watches we tend to look at the finish, the functions, their technical merits, the design, etc...but at the end of the day a mechanical watch is still an emotional purchase. I don't think I could get excited about spending Omega/IWC/Rolex money on a GS...but that's just me...maybe I'm a brand whore. If you have found a GS that really makes you smile, then put your money where you mouth is and pull the trigger on one.

IIRC, only Hayward has taken his admiration for the brand beyond praise and actually purchased one. I guess we will just have to wait and see if you take it to that next level. [​IMG]

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I believe its 120m.

A few years ago I considered a Nautilus. However, the bracelet seemed a bit thinner, almost too thin for my liking as I wanted to wear it everyday...so I went with the 5711's nemesis the RO ultra thin 15202. However, Frills is certainly proof the 5711 can withstand much more than just paperwork at a desk. I don't subject my RO to half of the things Frills subjects his 5711 to, but then again I'm a bit of a scratch/dent avoidance fanatic. If you are mainly working at a desk, you can go with either and be fine. Try them on and go with whatever makes you smile the most.

5. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Oh wow. I thought it would be similar to the RO at 50m. That makes the Nautilus even cooler.

6. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Speaking of Seiko, just placed an order for a Shogun diver. It's a midrange hardened and DLC coated titanium diver. I've been interested in hardened steel watches due to my scratchophobia and looked at Sinn and Damasko but didn't really love the way they looked. I like the way Bremonts look, but to the points discussed above, just don't really buy the brand for what it is. All of the hardened watches I thought about had a 7750 or 2824 movement, so pretty utilitarian. The Shogun's movement is said to be roughly equivalent to a 2824, although I suspect 2824 at it's lowest levels and not what you'd see in a Tudor Pelagos which is another watch I looked at. One of the big draws of the Tudor was the fact that it was made from titanium, although the related drawback of titanium is that it's a scratch magnet.

Long story short, when I heard about the Shogun everything just sort of clicked into place. Because it's a JDM watch I haven't seen one in person, but I feel pretty comfortable it will work for me and in the off chance it doesn't, I can easily sell it to someone at my cost. This will complete my current watch purchasing rampage. I feel like I was fortunate to thread the needle with the rising dollar before everything reprices, although I suppose the Nomos and Seiko won't necessarily need to reprice.

3 people like this.
  7. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

@Dino944 , are you saying you triple dog dare me?

1 person likes this.
  8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The RO Ultra thin doesn't use a screw down crown...I believe the Nautilus does. IIRC 15300 and 15400 both use screw down crowns and are WR to 100m.

Congrats on your Shogun! Looking forward to seeing some wrist shots.

Its important to remember that depending on where you live repricing isn't necessarily upward. Although Patek increased prices on Feb 10th in the Eurozone, they also reduced prices by 7% in the US and China.

Go for it! [​IMG]

9. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

The Shogun really is about as good of a knock-around diver as anyone might need, in my humble opinion. My "beach watch" is a Seiko as well. Diving for volleyballs, no problem. Grabbing at something between jagged rocks, who cares? A durable, waterproof Seiko diver just makes sense.

Even if they are "derivative and characterless."

1 person likes this.
  10. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I need to see you for some training. I think I have one bad scratch or ding on every watch. Even though I've gotten to the point where I don't let it bother me, it would be nice if I could work on being a bit more careful.

11. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I cannot say that I have any interest in owning any Seiko watch ever. Just not my jam.

12. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Still only 50m with screw down crown.

[​IMG]

13. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I'm not interested in this right now but I found the watch itself interesting. It's a Glashutte Senator Meissen special model that has a special enamel dial. Very glossy/white, comes off a bit milky in photos.

Glashutte Senator Meissen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I have one of these on the way this week. Should be here on Thursday. It'll be my first watch and a sort of late birthday present to myself, so I'm pretty excited.

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Is the dial enamel, or porcelain?

The dial looks like porcelain, and Meissen is a German town that's famous for its fine china and porcelain.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  16. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I've been meaning to ask...how much do you guys trust the depth rating of watches 100 WR or more that do not have a screw down crown? Would you even take them swimming?

17. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I plan to get the RO 15450 and it is 50m with a screw down crown. I really want to be able to swim with it. I guess just wading in a pool with it would be fine, but I probably wouldn't take it in the ocean. Guess I'll have to hang onto my Explorer to take on vacations.

18. pgtownsyou

pgtownsyou New Member

I just picked up this watch that I've become pretty fond of. I've really been liking the mesh bands lately. [​IMG]

19. ericjamesviola

ericjamesviola New Member

Sorry about that, still new here.

It's good to hear that the nautilus can stand up to daily wear, I guess people tend to baby them a bit.

20. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

The Nautilus has never quite appealed to me. I know they probably share some DNA, but I feel the Royal Oak just does everything.. better. I tried on a friend's 5711 recently and it felt overall quite meh to me. At least it looks better than an Aquanaut though..

Besides, I paid significantly less for my 15400 than my friend did for his 5711 - the difference is enough to buy a sub with some cash leftover :hide:

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.