1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

What about the rest of Asia?

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I dont know of anyone in the DC area, but if you know of a good place, I am not sold on it needing to be an official service center, though the peace of mind is nice.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

With some watches I'd probably be willing to use a trusted watch maker, others I wouldn't let anyone other than a factory service center touch the watch.

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Wow, that's news. Years ago AP reduced prices for about a year or so but they quickly raised them again. I've never heard of Patek adjusting prices downward. Any idea by what percentage prices will decrease in the States?

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Agreed! Id never send my RO anywhere but AP.

6. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I'm pretty careful and I doubt it breaks that easily. Wouldn't they have revised it by now?

7. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

8. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2va35a/from_living_in_my_car_to_a_ton_of_money/

Guy finds 4 watches at an estate auction, uses his meagre life savings to buy them.
    Includes 2 Paul Newman daytonas

So I guess im technically homeless becase I have been living in my car for the last month, but I just cant afford a place to stay while Ive been saving up for the deposit on a new apt. I have been very into vintage watches for many years. Never really had enough money for something nice. I saw some eatate sale signs the other day and thought Id check it out for fun. I discovered that there were a bunch of really old beat up Rolex watches there. I recognized that they were pretty valuable. I know it wasnt the smartest thing of me, but I took the 3500 I had saved for my new apt and bought the 4 watches. I took them too a really awesome local vintage watch buyer/seller in my area to see what I could sell them for. Two of the watches are what are known as paul newman daytobas. I knew when I had first bought them that they were very valuable, but it turns out that one of them is worth around 350k and the other one usually sells for around a million at auction.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  9. ML594806

ML594806 Active Member

The Swiss franc has increased it´s value dramatically since it abandoned the cap against the euro. So the price increase in Europe was to be expected. But it´s also gained value against the USD and Yuan (and every currency in the book really), so I don´t know what´s motivated the decrease elsewhere. They might be trying to balance sales in upward trending markets to recoup a sales decrease in Europe. I´m speculating wildly here, of course, I have no idea of how they are performing in each market.

10. ML594806

ML594806 Active Member

Any second hand sale is VAT free. I used to be a member of the biggest watch forum in Spain, and they do have a second hand market going on, so I could take a look. I´ve been looking at a Portuguese chronograph for some time now... If I decide to pullthe trigger I´ll post the outcome.

11. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Do you mean any second hand sale between individuals is VAT free. I would expect any dealer turning over a reasonable sum to be paying VAT,

Auction sales which are between individuals charge VAT on the auctioneers commission.

12. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

That LeCoultre Deep Sea Alarm find in Goodwill makes for a better story.

13. TradThrifter

TradThrifter Senior member

Yea, that guy paid a total of 6 bucks for his find. What a champion.

14. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Thanks for the help. I will probably guide him towards taking the watch to Central when he is in NYC next.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Take a look at one in person, there is not much metal connecting the lug and the case. Maybe it rarely happens, but it does and can happen if you are the unfortunate wearer who makes accidental contact against a hard surface at the right angle.

IIRC, at least years ago it was one of there least expensive Calatravas, and there appears to be less gold used on it than some other similarly priced or slightly more expensive Calatravas. So possibly its price makes it easy for them to move, and less gold gives them a better profit margin. Besides, its an easy fix, it just gets soldered back on, so why would they care or bother to spend money revising it (considering its an old design that has more than paid for itself over the years). I'm very careful with my watches, but I see little reason to purchase a watch in that price range with such dainty construction...to me it cheapens its appeal and its appearance. However, if you are very careful and this is the design that truly calls to you go for it.

16. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

I don't think I could stomach going around with a watch with a lug I knew was soldered back on.

17. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

I agree with you Dino but to the OP, take a step back for a minute. For that kind of money one shouldn't have to worry about the lugs breaking... If almost any other company made such a watch it would have been universally denounced. Don't let the name on the dial overcome common sense.

18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1 it would ruin the experience for me.

1 person likes this.
  19. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I saw this story. I realize things like this could happen but parts of the story just seem off.

20. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

today...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.