• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has arrived! The watch itself is beautiful and keeping good time. The movement is soooooo smooth to wind, I don't have much experience with high end pieces but compared to the basic JLC Reverso classic I tried on at my AD this movement is much smoother. Feels much more like a classic Cartier tank than I'd expected, I assumed it might feel a bit sportier like the Reverso but nope this is pure dress watch.

The one downside is the seller didn't disclose that the band was incorrectly sized
ffffuuuu.gif
19mm when the Basculante needs a 20mm, to make matters worse the 19mm band has a 16mm Cartier deployment. So, being skeptical, I immediately called my Cartier AD to have them authenticate via the serial number with Cartier. After a day or two of anxious waiting the all clear came back, Cartier says it's their baby. But now I'm forced with the decision to buy a new strap and deployment to fit for an additional $800 or use this one and be slightly bothered by the 1mm discrepancy...

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has arrived! The watch itself is beautiful and keeping good time. The movement is soooooo smooth to wind, I don't have much experience with high end pieces but compared to the basic JLC Reverso classic I tried on at my AD this movement is much smoother. Feels much more like a classic Cartier tank than I'd expected, I assumed it might feel a bit sportier like the Reverso but nope this is pure dress watch.

The one downside is the seller didn't disclose that the band was incorrectly sized
ffffuuuu.gif
19mm when the Basculante needs a 20mm, to make matters
Congrats, the Tank Basculante is a very cool watch, and the F.Piguet movement inside is very nice. Enjoy your new Tank, it looks great !

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 … Looks great MZ!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool MZ! Wear it in good health!

robw

Reaction score

The one downside is the seller didn't disclose that the band was incorrectly sized :fu: 19mm when the Basculante needs a 20mm, to make matters worse the 19mm band has a 16mm Cartier deployment. So, being skeptical, I immediately called my Cartier AD to have them authenticate via the serial number with Cartier. After a day or two of anxious waiting the all clear came back, Cartier says it's their baby. But now I'm forced with the decision to buy a new strap and deployment to fit for an additional $800 or use this one and be slightly bothered by the 1mm discrepancy...
Congratulations. Very nice watch. FWIW, you can but a very nice aftermarket 20/16 strap and keep your deployant. You can buy a camille fournet or have one made by ABP Paris. All top quality. While not cheap, you still save some $. There are even less expensive options out there as well. Enjoy

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations. Very nice watch.

FWIW, you can but a very nice aftermarket 20/16 strap and keep your deployant. You can buy a camille fournet or have one made by ABP Paris. All top quality. While not cheap, you still save some $. There are even less expensive options out there as well.

Enjoy

Good to know, I'll check into them both.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice one!

MZ: Let us know your experiences with Camile Fournet or ABP Paris. I've heard of both, but not used their services.

Congratulations. Very nice watch.

FWIW, you can but a very nice aftermarket 20/16 strap and keep your deployant. You can buy a camille fournet or have one made by ABP Paris. All top quality. While not cheap, you still save some $. There are even less expensive options out there as well.

Enjoy

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice one!

MZ: Let us know your experiences with Camile Fournet or ABP Paris. I've heard of both, but not used their services.

I just reached out to CF to see if they can accommodate a Cartier deployment. I saw the minimum thickness listed was 2mm, the deployment requires 1mm, and it also needs to have no holes.
If they can't I'll go with ABP but they seem nearly twice the cost right off the bat.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watches are not a cheap hobby. And much though I like deployants, they do tend to tie you into a manufacturers supply chain, with fewer options...

I just reached out to CF to see if they can accommodate a Cartier deployment. I saw the minimum thickness listed was 2mm, the deployment requires 1mm, and it also needs to have no holes.
If they can't I'll go with ABP but they seem nearly twice the cost right off the bat.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks great, MZ. :slayer:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that earlier today. Kind of crazy.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score

peepwall[1].gif

But seriously...that is indeed most cool, congratulations! Seconded on the custom strap, and as you know what you want, shop around a little: there seem to be a lot of independent leather workers out there who will do a custom job, on Etsy and no doubt on every watch forum. There's even a guy on this forum whose user name I forget but I saw the name in his display pic in a thread about shoes or something, and checked it out. Seems reasonable and worth an email?

P.S. Is that jacket from Canali? Your wrist shot is spookily similar to some of mine:

(Alas, the watch is not mine...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads