1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Use a currency broker; they have better rates than banks.

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

Fixed thanks to UberModerator Stitchy and the highly technical solution of deleting and reinstalling the app!

I quite like the TapaTalk interface. Posting pics is great. I can do all this via my Safari or Google Chrome browser on my phone but it feels easier to do so on TapaTalk. However, tifosi, it indeed doesn't have that update via blue dot designation. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Doesn't that drive you nuts?? I wonder if it's a SF thing and not tapatalk?

Stitchy?

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yeah, you can pretty much do everything via your mobile browser. I shelled out the dollar or two for the TapaTalk Pro edition and nixed the ads.
    The dial is still a bit messed up for me, but the new Nautilus ref 5990 should float your boat given how its pushers flow right into the traditional Nautilus case. It's not as garishly overwrought in person, and it has significant presence: it may well be the thickest Nautilus in production - it is thicker than the 5980 chrono.

5. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Ha! Would love to but think i'm pushing my luck as it is! To my shame though I've started sowing the seeds of the idea this evening. We've gone past the 'how many watches do you need?' stage to some point here she is starting to accept it as a legit hobby, so a rubicon of sorts has been crossed. Watch this space.

6. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

This is a great question as I have noticed the same with my Citi transfers.

Is there a currency broker you would recommend?

I was thinking when the euro reaches parity in the coming six months to park some funds in a euro denominated account to fund future purchases. I am still researching how to do this as it sounds like it should be really simple - but haven't found that to be the case.

7. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Sooo, I guess I can only put off my watch errands for so long as it appears I magnetized my Nomos. I think it's from the ipad smart cover. The amazing thing is that it took this long to happen as I've been resting the Nomos every night on the ipad, but I guess until now it was never near the magnets. It was around 17 seconds behind when I checked last night and checked again today (after having left it on the ipad all night) and it was damn near spot on. Went for a run, came back 90 minutes later and now it's a few seconds ahead.

So, word to the wise, don't be a dummy like me and keep your watches away from ipad magnets.

8. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

Thanks for the heads up. It's something that never occurred to me.

9. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

... and then I handled a black & blue GMT Master II.

3 people like this.
  10. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I'd recommend a Rolex for you BH. It seems your tastes/wants/likes change pretty quickly and Rolex will hold it's value best from what you've considered so far. I think you've owned your Speedy for less than a year and you seem borderline tired of it at the moment, so I'd definitely recommend a GMT/dual time which you can resell for a minimal loss. And I'm not trying to be critical here, just trying to offer advice from reading your comments.

1 person likes this.
  11. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Q on boutique-only editions:

I love the new JLC Reverso Center Seconds in WG. Apparently, it's meant to be a boutique-only edition - any chance it may ultimately make it out to the grey-market, where a 20-30% discount may be had? Love the watch, but at full price I'm tempted to get some other pieces.

Thanks,
    GC

12. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

You certainly speak reasonably, sir. I certainly wouldn't say I'm tired of the Speedy. I just like so many watches and can only have so very few. I do hope to build a collection strong enough that I should never feel compelled to part with any one. The GMT II would likely be as safe a second entry as possible. My thanks for entertaining my wandering eye!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  13. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

That's exactly how I spent a little bit of last year with 4 Seikos including 2 that were exactly the same. I'm guessing your 'something's cost more than the $64 each I paid for my watches though...

Originally Posted by gopherblue [​IMG]

Here's a question for forex and maybe some others: I need to wire funds to a European AD. Is there a bank in town that has a much better f/x rate than others? Citi's f/x rate loses me about 1.95% on the transaction, plus a wire fee. I know there will be some vig I have to pay on a foreign currency exchange, but I'd like to pare it down.

Very interested in this also. 1.95% actually sounds good to me. Maybe I hadn't looked as close as I could have but I was expecting to spend closer to 4% if staying with the big Canadian banks. I guess I ought to be checking the rates at US Banks (transferring cash from the US to CAD) which hadn't occurred to me until just now.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

That pretty much describes most of my watch purchases, mimo :lol:

Hope all will work out with you and the missus.

1 person likes this.
  15. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

So many BLNR's up in here! I remember the days of being the only one. Now I can let other people take way better pictures than I ever could to display its beauty.

1 person likes this.
  16. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ Moar pics of ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

17. Seamless

Seamless Senior member

[​IMG]
    Niall watch from Kansas City. It looks a lot like AP which I got over. Really a beautiful piece.

18. thesizzler

thesizzler New Member

I have a few Omegas. Here's a Seamaster with bumper movement.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. mimo

mimo Senior member

Might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb...

20. no frills

no frills Senior member

PERNICIOUS ENABLER!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.