1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Solidarity.

1 person likes this.
  2. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Such a classic. Congratulations. Why I've still never bought one remains a mystery. I guess cause I'm waiting for a nice vintage one to just show up on my doorstep some day.
    I like how you've consolidated there. Especially since it's precisely the watch of your desires.....must be gratifying!
    All for one, one for all :slayer: I'M GETTING THE FEVER LOL. Oh, and Dino....I'm also getting my popcorn ready for your new Rolex pics....

3. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Thanks Keith. I'm enjoying it immensely and it keeps growing on me. I think it's because it looks like a real 'instrument', not 'just' a watch. And they are pretty common pre-owned and so a good price. I think one of the best value watches around.

+ 1 for Dino Rolex pics. Congrats on that.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  4. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Dino, congrats on the incoming GMT! Looking forward to seeing it.

OK — I'm definitely keeping the stickers on the purple one, right?

Q&D after another successful hunt:

[​IMG]

Hey, I can quit whenever I want... :embar:

2 people like this.
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

Hahahaha! If only there had been a grey dial up there...full set?

I have something of a quandary: I ordered something, they took ages to ship, decided to get something even better, cancelled the first order. The confirmed the cancellation...then discovered they'd already shipped without telling me, and sacked my card.

The original order was not sanctioned by my beloved. So, do I wring my hands in shame, and return the first one when it arrives? Or keep it and cancel the second, bigger purchase? Or...well...we know what "or" is, don't we?

I hate you people.

In another news, I have a new title.

6. academe

academe Senior member

I saw the "red grape" OP at one of my local Rolex dealers and - despite it's slightly out of the box colour - think it looks great. Very striking, yet not overdone (partly due to the simplicity of the OP itself). Of the two, I actually prefer the red grape a little more than the white, so you know where my vote would go...

1 person likes this.
  7. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

OR is the only acceptable decision :slayer:

So, what are the two watches?

1 person likes this.
  8. luvmalik

luvmalik Senior member

Hi everyone

I need help. Please tell me the best place or the best guy to buy a watch in Singapore. I am currently in Singapore and looking to buy one. Pls help

9. in stitches

Belli, keep the gold to sell the purple.

10. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I'm getting an itch again.............

11. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

What do you want to buy? New or pre-owned? I know a couple of people..

12. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

I tried on the red grape a while back, and the white grape on Monday. Both looked a bit off to me. Much preferred it in blue or white. But of course moot point, 36mm looks tiny to me..

Side question - what wrist diameter do you guys have that you can wear 36mm watches?

13. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I think it depends on what you want more. I definitely don't think the answer here is "both" as it usually would be.

Were either sanctioned by your beloved? If not, keep what you want more and tell her the cost is the same as the smaller purchase regardless of what you keep. haha!

14. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

It's more preference than wrist size for me. Anything over 42mm looks silly to me. I own watches from 35mm to 42mm and I prefer them in the 38 to 39mm range. My dad has very thick wrists and weasr a 38mm watch and it looks fine to my eyes. Of course that's because smaller cases are my aesthetic preference, perhaps because I grew up used to seeing smaller cases.

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

7 inch wrist for me. 36mm EXP

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  16. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I am guessing Mimo bought a Nomos, it took a while to ship, so he bought a Sub ND.

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

@tifosi Hehe...what the hell do you think you're doing, coming round here with your voice of reason? You will be excommunicated for such talk! Sure, I want the second one more. The first was a bit of opportunism, and I'm just fascinated by a particular feature more than this individual model. The plan was actually to get a different "bigger one" in a few months: this second one was always on the list, put off to maybe next year. But, I saw a good deal, and had to jump on it. I suspect I'm going to have to live with both...better get on with some extra freelance work this weekend!

@jbarwick alas, not quite up to that level on either count. But I'm touched that you know my peccadillos so well!

@aleksandr my wrist is about 7 1/4". I wear a 35mm vintage Omega (in the display pic) as a regular dress watch. Belligero was sired by an orc and has 8" wrists or something. 36mm Oyster looks pretty good on him. I've tried that watch on more than once, and the bracelet and phat case give it real presence. There is nothing at all unmanly about that watch. On the contrary, I do think the modern trend for dinner plate watches projects a little insecurity, and will come to look like a funny fashion fad in a few years - the horological equivalent of flared trousers. I like larger watches too, but more on the casual side - a pilot (only 40mm) and diver (42mm) in my case.

2 people like this.
  18. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am wearing a 34mm today. This one:
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. in stitches

For what, pray tell...

7.5 inch wrist. But for me the straight mm size is not really telling. Case and lugs play a big part. A simple round 36mm case with thin lugs and no shoulders, like a Calatrava, feels small to me, but with the shoulders/lugs of the DJ it feels and looks fine for me. The largest I wore was my PAM112, at 44mm. Also looked and felt fine to me.

2 people like this.
  20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG] Hey Dachshund Congrats! Not sure how I missed your 10th anniversary gift. Happy anniversary and that wife of yours is a keeper! Great choice of wife and she made a great choice for a watch. The Speedy is the one current Omega that really speaks to me. Anyway, enjoy it in good health my friend!

I know the feeling. A dealer just contacted me (unexpectedly) about a watch that may be coming in soon, and which I had no immediate plans to purchase. If the price is very right it could be tempting [​IMG]....but then Mrs. Dino may suggest I sleep in the garage for a few months.

Thanks! I'll post some pix upon arrival!

Thank you! Again, not sure how I missed your post about the Speedy. A real classic! Enjoy it!

Do they have Watch Buyers Anonymous or Rehab for Watch Addicts in Norway? Just kidding my friend! Thanks for the kind words I'll post pix of the GMT when she arrives.

I'm kind of partial to the purple/grape OP. So that would be the one I'd keep. Actually, a friend of mine in the Netherlands just kopped the 36mm OP with white grape dial, looks very cool...but I still think I'd keep the purple!

Good luck with your decision! [​IMG]

A new title...as in new job title....or as in royalty, and are we now to address you as Sir Mimo? [​IMG] Deets!

My vote is return watch the first unapproved watch, and keep the second bigger purchase as it was sanctioned by your beloved!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.