1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Thanks, babe!

I did get it ore-owned, and aside from some desk diving scuffs by the clasp, and one small blemish to the brushed portion of the bezel, its pristine. I specifically wanted that.

2. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

I'm interested in seeing one IRL. Also wonder how it will look like with a brown strap.

3. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

Anyone buy off chrono24 before? When they say "trusted seller" what does it actually mean? It doesn't seem to have user reviews the way eBay etc would, just 'retailer recommendations' which seems like a particularly incestuous way for dealers to promote each other.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  4. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Those AP photos are amazeballs.

1 person likes this.
  5. in stitches

<3

Thanks!!

---

Aleks, I have always been wary of chrono24, and I generally find that the asking prices there are higher than most other places.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Been away from the forum for the better part of a day, finished snow blowng our way out of what remained of a blizzard, then did a bit of watch recon so it was time well spent. Incoming arriving Saturday.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    4 people like this.
  7. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

[​IMG]

Dudes, I really like the baton-marker 116000. Fuggit — I might just have to peel off the stickers and keep it. It's remarkable how well the Oyster case design that Gerald Genta spoke about in that interview linked a few hundred posts back has endured...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. justinzx

justinzx Member

^^^ That above is one really nice watch....Time to "un-peel" it

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

They're certainly investing heavily; just seen a boutique upgrade where I live. What's bothered me most about MB until now has been their complete lack of distinct personality. MB pens are distinctive, but their watches seem to be derivative of a dozen different makers. Sure, most classically-styled watches seem to be derivative of something, and that's often the point, but nevertheless, most makers manage to project their own individual design language throughout their range. MB looks like anything from Blancpain to Tissot, with the only defining factor being the oddly inflated cases to make them "modern".

That said, this is one I rather like...

But are they? I know they bought two "proper" makers, but my understanding was that these higher end in house numbers were still used very selectively, and that most MBs are still cuddling a Selitta interior. Enlighten me!
    No it isn't. It's like a baby's features on an elephant. Look at that tiny movement, clustering all the dials into the middle of that fat moonish face. It is a crock of shit, and exactly what I had in mind when writing my first paragraph. Apart from that, I have no strong feelings about it...

I slightly hate you. And not just because you rejected my credit application.

And you're a jerk as well.

Hmm...interesting...want to see.

Haha. You said you didn't like the double sticks when I was raving about these. Now, what did you do with the steel grey one, and how's my credit with you?

1 person likes this.
  10. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Thanks!

The problem is that it's difficult to justify another steel Rolex on an Oyster bracelet (I think I'm up to eight of 'em right now), especially when it's so similar (at least to normal people) to the Oysterquartz, and isn't even that different from the Daytona in form. These things need maintenance every so often — Rolex unofficially states ten years before first service, although they'll go a lot longer than that from what I've seen — and I have too many damn watches as it is.

On the other hand, I think prices are going to take a sharp increase in Norway given the weakness of the NOK and the recent jump in the CHF, so I don't think I have anything to lose by hanging onto it. I might take a 5-10% hit if I peel off the stickers and it becomes a non-BNIB watch, but that's about the price of a decent insert for a plexi GMT these days, and not even the cost of a nice pair of shoes.

It's too damn easy to rationalize this stuff. Also, I do actually wear and appreciate every single one of them except for the Deepsea, which is definitely a cynical currency-speculation tool to me. On the other hand, it's worth nearly the same non-BNIB, and it could be a fun one to bust out once in a while too...

Aw, dammit.

:facepalm:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  11. mimo

mimo Senior member

[​IMG]

12. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

So here's a new addition to my collection. This was a tenth anniversary present from my wonderful wife - a 2005 (geddit?) Speedy. I'm enjoying it immensely, particularly the way the light catches the dome of the crystal, and being able to time random stuff.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  13. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

To be honest, I don't pay much attention to Montblanc, so I'm afraid that I can't offer much enlightenment on that subject. AFAIK, their entry-level stuff does use ETA or ETA clones from Sellita or Soprod or Spooginar or whoever's supplying the hordes of generic-movement-using assemblers out there.

-----

[​IMG]

Coulda been someone else. I truly can't recall stating anything negative about the 36 mm OP, and I do like the double markers at the 3/6/9 positions. Those big batons remind me of those "wide-boy" dials from certain 1970s DJs and DDs:

[​IMG]
    image credit: Peter on VRF

I'd consider the 116000 to be a perfected wristwatch. As with the current Sea-Dweller, there isn't a single detail I'd want to change.

Regrets, but the steel-grey dial version is long gone from the local shop. There was still a red grape model in stock as of Tuesday evening, and I'd have no problem with wearing that colour. Also, dial swaps are easy. ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Woa.. say more?

15. in stitches

Dino - Tell us naow!!!

Belli - Looks great, time to do some peeling.

Dach - Congrats!

Nemo - I hate you too, so I guess it all works out! :)

16. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

I've been away for a while but I'm back boys. Spent the last few months moving cross country for a job and selling off my Cartier Santos, Nomos Ludwig, Omega Seamaster Pro and my Frederique Constant to get...
    SEL, lug holes, tritium. The exact one I wanted!
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG] Spot on Mimo!

[​IMG] Mimo, you are always cracking me up! Thanks for the laughs!
    Its definitely not that momentous... but putting it on my wrist put a smile on my face.

Funny thing is I've seen that movie. I was a kid and my Dad found it on some TV station that shows movies from the 1950s and 1960s.
    It was a bit spur of the moment. I liked this watch, but didn't come up with the idea to look for one until Tuesday night (while I was snowed in by a blizzard). All the recent talk of the CHF and its affect on the watch industry was also a bit of motivation to add this piece before a possible price increase.

I'll share a hint. It sort of brings me back to the beginning of my journey collecting. This is the modern but spiritual successor to my first "Good watch."

18. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Excellent choice. I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again. The pre-ceramic GMT II is the best watch ever made for a normal person. :cheers:

19. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Cool, congrats on the incoming 116710 BLNR. What do I win for guessing correctly? :D

20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG]Congrats that's a classic! Love the Pepsi GMT. Enjoy it !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.