The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anon

anon Senior member

I don't know Anon...That is why I am asking for the information from someone who might know. They do look about the same??
    I just google searched a little and it seems people are very impressed with their Archimedes watches, especially for the price. it may be worth checking out!

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I have one of the run of ninety B-Uhr that Archimede produced with the manual Junghans 687 movement as the Pilot Original Limited Edition:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to have a custom strap made for it from Russia "Calf," which is a whole other story to be told later...

At any rate, my comments about the movement would be useless unless you get one of the 90 watches with the 687. It's a nice, creamy manual movement that so far tells great time.

The crystal on mine is also replaced with a domed sapphire crystal which I think looks better.

Overall, the case and aesthetics are very nice, and I prefer owning this relatively cheap watch compared to the Byzantine pilot designs put out by, say, IWC now. I love the graphic simplicity of this particular watch...I would not get a version that had a brand name on the dial, and Archimede is one of the few sources for a watch like that.

So, thumbs up.

- B

3. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

Laco does a B-Uhr watch with a sterile dial in a 55mm and a 42mm. I think Vox's is a 42mm, if I am not mistaken.

I really like the Laco 55mm and think it may be next pick up of mine. I really want something with a California dial.

You can also get an Observation version - that's the model with the inner hour, so you can play 'Jerry's Bombing London', which is something I like to do with the ladies.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Laco does a B-Uhr watch with a sterile dial in a 55mm and a 42mm. I think Vox's is a 42mm, if I am not mistaken.

Yes, 42mm...I have small wrists and anything larger would be kinda clownish.

55mm is the classic size...but classic if you wear it outside of your leather pilot jacket just before an RAF pilot shoots you down.

- B

5. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

After seeing all the great watches in this post I decided to get a flight watch and move away from the SS divers I usually wear. I did some research and found that Archimede has a good quality watch. The 42mm size is perfect for my smaller wrists and now all I need is my brown strap to come in and it will be perfect. I think I will now save up for another Archimede are get a custom flight watch from Wilson Watch Works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

Yeh, its no submariner or PP, but how are these for a 20-something year old who can't afford the SF kinds of watches? katharine hamnett chronograph (circa US$400) [​IMG] ---------------------------------- Arne Jacobsen Banker's watch (circa US$1000) [​IMG]

7. anon

anon Senior member

vox and Mr K, I like those Archimede watches a lot. It's funny how I joined SF a bit fan of a $2500 Tag Heuer, then latched on to $5000+ IWC watches, then went to $800 Stowas and am now down to ~$400 Archimede as my next watch.

8. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

vox and Mr K, I like those Archimede watches a lot. It's funny how I joined SF a bit fan of a $2500 Tag Heuer, then latched on to $5000+ IWC watches, then went to $800 Stowas and am now down to ~$400 Archimede as my next watch.

I am very much the same as you . When I first started here I would only wear my Rolex watches and had an IWC and another Rolex on my list to buy and now after trying the Archimede , I do not see the reason to spend 5-10K on a watch at this time. For only a bit over 1K the Archimede chrono is a great daily wearer and adds some style to my usual SS bracelet Rolex watches.
    I do still want the other expensive watches, but now therei s no need to rush for them. Now I have more money for shoes and the down payment for a shiny new BMW.

9. theguy

theguy Senior member

My Steel GST Alarm.
    [​IMG]

love that watch, I almost bought that a couple years ago.
    came between that and my pam111

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

[​IMG] It's a 1930's Henry Moser & Cie. My great grandfather gave it to my grandfather just before he went to war in WW2. My grandfather, and the watch, made it out (barely) and he recently gave it to me. I wore it for the first time today as we all went out to dinner to celebrate May 9th (victory day in Russia) a bit early. [​IMG]

11. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

Just picked this up on a short trip to New York it is a Piaget Black Tie Rectangle a l'Ancienne...I love it!
    [​IMG]

12. adagio

adagio Senior member

^^ That Piaget is lovely. Well done!

13. anon

anon Senior member

[​IMG] It's a 1930's Henry Moser & Cie. My great grandfather gave it to my grandfather just before he went to war in WW2. My grandfather, and the watch, made it out (barely) and he recently gave it to me. I wore it for the first time today as we all went out to dinner to celebrate May 9th (victory day in Russia) a bit early. [​IMG]
    awesome history on that watch, hopefully you can keep passing it on

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

awesome history on that watch, hopefully you can keep passing it on

Thanks. Definitely.. it will stay with the family forever.

15. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Stowa Flieger LE with manual ETA2801 movement [​IMG]

You have sparked my interest. Looks like a good cheaper alternative to the IWC XVI. How does your LE differ from the regular Airman w/o logo besides a different hand wound movement?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.