1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I'm not in love with it but it definitely looks better in those photos. It might have looked better if they had done it in steel and YG, or a less rosy shade of pink gold.

Actually, AP offered the RO in steel and gold from the 1970's through the early to mid 1990's (and Patek offered a tutone version of the Nautilus, and VC offered a tutone version of the 222, the 333, and the Phidias during roughly the same period). However, as there was a strong movement in favor of white metal watches in the late 1990s, each of the brands stopped offering 2 tone sports watches and focused more on all steel models. However little by little they have all started offering tutones again, with AP being the last to do so.

[​IMG] Agreed, definitely not a version for people that are tough on their watches.

2. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Name me a nice, platinum watch. Two hands preferred (three acceptable). Up to 39mm. Sort of agnostic on HW v. automatic.

1 person likes this.
  3. lomaxbernie

lomaxbernie Well-Known Member

For those of you that frequent the pre-owned sites/forums, do you do anything about scammers if you come across any? Before making my most recent purchase I encountered several seedy sellers (one was an obvious fake on Craigslist, the other was a forum poster), and I wasn't sure if I should notify the site or alert someone about it.

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

JLC Geophysic. 38.5. Auto. 2 hands. Really nice IMO. Only 58 pieces made however...

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Its my fave look for a Speedy.

Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Grand Taille:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

7. academe

academe Senior member

Dopey what about the Richard Lange 3-hander? Photo below is of the white gold boutique edition, but this comes in platinum, too:

[​IMG]

Also really like the VC Traditionnelle in platinum:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. Galix

Galix Senior member

An Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra. I like classics ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Well, if you can stretch the size a bit, there's

[​IMG]

- which @ 42mm is 3mm smaller than most Radiomirs :)

10. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

My opinion of Cartier is more broadly based, across their entire product line, and in a historical context. That is, that the departure of the family (and Jeanne Toussaint) signaled the fall of the House of Cartier. A bit dramatic but there it is.

I would love to see reductions as well but I'm just a tiny bit peeved that one of my Franck Muller pieces will have its list price reduced by 25k.

11. dopey

Not a dress watch. But a neat everyday watch is you are the type that has a platinum daily wearer.

Beautiful. I was thinking I would like a white dial but would have to see this in person to see if I like the "silver" dial. I might really love it. In any event, your answer reminds me that the old extra-plate Vacheron in White Gold is still the ideal dress watch. I like the stick markers on that better than these

I do not like the Lange at all - numerals in particular bother me, but, in general, there is too much clutter on the dial.
    The Traditionnelle is really beautiful, though not necessarily what I was thinking when I said dress watch.

lol. I just noticed that I didn't write "dress watch" I remember now that I was thinking that and put it in my post. But then I deleted it so as not to prejudice the answers. Now I know why you weren't following my secret instructions.

lol That's what I get for not specifying dress watch.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    2 people like this.
  12. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

Tourbillon Tuesday! Newest TickTocking review of another Journe Tourbillon highlighting some of the differences with later pieces

[​IMG]

13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Dopey, when do you plan on making this purchase?

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, I suppose I would be a bit annoyed to see a big reduction in MSRP on a watch I already owned. Sorry to hear that. Still wish it would happen with other brands that in recent years have developed over inflated MSRPs.

15. dopey

Sometime between tomorrow and never. Wotcha got for me?

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

+1. I understand that watchmakers have raised prices because they can, particularly due to demand from China and the Middle East, but it's still depressing to see just how ludicrous prices for some watches have become over the past decade.

1 person likes this.
  17. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Heading out for dinner now, with an old friend... Have a great Tuesday everyone! :D

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ Superb, B. I wish I could take watch (or any kind of) photos like that.

19. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Thanks TheWraith, I just grabbed that shot with a cheapo point-and-shoot. They're great for macro pics if you don't want to go for the whole pro set-up.

Ben

1 person likes this.
  20. Tuck16

Tuck16 Member

Hey all,

I recently started following this thread, and thought I'd contribute by sharing some pictures of my current watches: a '72 speedmaster, a Port Chrono and a Doxa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.