• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went back to Govberg today. My wife picked up the NOMOS Orion with the rose dial, which of course I will be stealing on occasion, or quite often.
Congrats and enjoy them.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reliability: Dino, didn't the Ferrari 355 from the 90s has a ton of issues and that is dropping bigger $$ that just on your wrist? Just ribbing you since you have fine taste in autos.
Hi JB,
Yes, they did have issues with 355 exhaust manifolds and valve guids, but mine isn't an F355. People still buy them F355s. They are a great driving experience and pretty to look at, but potential buyers should have deep pockets ready if they choose that model.
cheers.gif

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi JB,
Yes, they did have issues with 355 exhaust manifolds and valve guids, but mine isn't an  F355.  People still buy them F355s.  They are a great driving experience and pretty to look at, but potential buyers should have deep pockets ready if they choose that model.  :cheers:  

True dat.
1f600.png

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Damn right I busted out the lime green NATO today...when else am I going to wear it?

clpotter

Reaction score
Fellas,

Long time lurker, first time TWAT poster. I've got a question. I've seen a lot of really great watches talked about and shared on this forum, however, the other day I noticed that I very rarely see any photos or conversation around Breitlings. Now, I'm new to this whole "nice" watch thing, but was curious if there's a reason Breitlings aren't mentioned much here? Was just curious.

Thanks.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Fellas,

Long time lurker, first time TWAT poster. I've got a question. I've seen a lot of really great watches talked about and shared on this forum, however, the other day I noticed that I very rarely see any photos or conversation around Breitlings. Now, I'm new to this whole "nice" watch thing, but was curious if there's a reason Breitlings aren't mentioned much here? Was just curious.

Thanks.

That's a good question and, for me, I normally don't find that people with an appreciation for watches[watchmaking] gravitate towards Breitling.

clpotter

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I tend to like some of their models, from an aesthetics standpoint (Navitimer and Transocean), but like I said, I'm new and don't have the background knowledge on many of these brands that most on the forum probably do.

If anyone could provide specifics, that would be great. Like I mentioned, just curious.

Not that it's relevant to this discussion but, I am more partial to Panerai (I'm 30 FWIW) and really like the look of the 112. I'm strongly considering making my first real watch purchase next year and the 112 is at the top of the list.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Thanks for the information. I tend to like some of their models, from an aesthetics standpoint (Navitimer and Transocean), but like I said, I'm new and don't have the background knowledge on many of these brands that most on the forum probably do.

If anyone could provide specifics, that would be great. Like I mentioned, just curious.

Not that it's relevant to this discussion but, I am more partial to Panerai (I'm 30 FWIW) and really like the look of the 112. I'm strongly considering making my first real watch purchase next year and the 112 is at the top of the list.

It really just comes down to personal preference. There is no reason NOT to buy a Breitling. If you like it then that is really all that matters. I think people will talk you out of Breitling just because they don't like them. And that is probably mostly from an aesthetic point of view. Luckily not everyone likes the same things. I would hate to make (strong word but just making a point) you spend your money on something you don't think looks as good as the Breitling you really like just because it's a Pam or 'insert other brand'.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really just comes down to personal preference. There is no reason NOT to buy a Breitling. If you like it then that is really all that matters. I think people will talk you out of Breitling just because they don't like them. And that is probably mostly from an aesthetic point of view. Luckily not everyone likes the same things. I would hate to make (strong word but just making a point) you spend your money on something you don't think looks as good as the Breitling you really like just because it's a Pam or 'insert other brand'.
+1

There is nothing wrong with Breitlings. I've just never had much interest in them, as many of them are too busy (I don't need a slide rule on my watch), and I find the Bentley watches too blingy. Years ago many had rather ordinary movements based the Val 7750 or other ETA products. So they seemed more style than substance to me. I think a few of their current simpler watches are a big improvement to the line up. It also helps that they are producing some of their own movements. In the end the watches that get discussed here are a matter of personal preference and often when a person comes here to either discuss a possible purchase or to ask about a deal they have been offered. I suppose for what most Breitlings cost, there have always been watches from other brands that I would prefer to own. But what we each deem worthy of our hard earned $$$ is very subjective. What matters is that a buyer is happy with whatever watch he buys regardless of other's opinions.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the PAM 112, I have been told panerai's are simply over priced pocket watches. Bottom line aesthetically I like it, not because of resale value or status. Not that either of these are necessarily bad reasons. To each his own if you like it buy it.

Last edited:

clpotter

Reaction score

Good insight, and I agree. I'm not going to not buy something just because, a bunch of guys on a forum don't agree (no offense).

Are the biggest issues with Breitlings their aesthetics?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

+1

There is nothing wrong with Breitlings.  I've just never had much interest in them, as many of them are too busy (I don't need a slide rule on my watch), and I find the Bentley watches too blingy.  Years ago many had rather ordinary movements based the Val 7750 or other ETA products.  So they seemed more style than substance to me.  I think a few of their current simpler watches are a big improvement to the  line up.  It also helps that they are producing some of their own movements.  In the end the watches that get discussed here are a matter of personal preference and often when a person comes here to either discuss a possible purchase or to ask about a deal they have been offered. I suppose for what most Breitlings cost, there have always been watches from other brands that I would prefer to own.  But what we each deem worthy of our hard earned $$$ is very subjective.  What matters is that a buyer is happy with whatever watch he buys regardless of other's opinions.  

and a +1 to you, Dino.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Good insight, and I agree. I'm not going to not buy something just because, a bunch of guys on a forum don't agree (no offense).

Are the biggest issues with Breitlings their aesthetics?

Haha. None taken. I will admit that I am guilty of letting forum views influence some purchases.

clpotter

Reaction score

+1

There is nothing wrong with Breitlings.  I've just never had much interest in them, as many of them are too busy (I don't need a slide rule on my watch), and I find the Bentley watches too blingy.  Years ago many had rather ordinary movements based the Val 7750 or other ETA products.  So they seemed more style than substance to me.  I think a few of their current simpler watches are a big improvement to the  line up.  It also helps that they are producing some of their own movements.  In the end the watches that get discussed here are a matter of personal preference and often when a person comes here to either discuss a possible purchase or to ask about a deal they have been offered. I suppose for what most Breitlings cost, there have always been watches from other brands that I would prefer to own.  But what we each deem worthy of our hard earned $$$ is very subjective.  What matters is that a buyer is happy with whatever watch he buys regardless of other's opinions.  

Thanks for the explanation. I've really enjoyed this forum and learning about the intricacies of watches and watchmaking.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:+1

There is nothing wrong with Breitlings. I've just never had much interest in them, as many of them are too busy (I don't need a slide rule on my watch), and I find the Bentley watches too blingy. Years ago many had rather ordinary movements based the Val 7750 or other ETA products. So they seemed more style than substance to me. I think a few of their current simpler watches are a big improvement to the line up. It also helps that they are producing some of their own movements. In the end the watches that get discussed here are a matter of personal preference and often when a person comes here to either discuss a possible purchase or to ask about a deal they have been offered. I suppose for what most Breitlings cost, there have always been watches from other brands that I would prefer to own. But what we each deem worthy of our hard earned $$$ is very subjective. What matters is that a buyer is happy with whatever watch he buys regardless of other's opinions.
There is nothing wrong with the Breitling babe either.
ymahuqy6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads