The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

TC, I picked it up from service today

[​IMG]

All I can say is WOW.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The last couple pages have upped the game [​IMG]

Thanks for the nice scans

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

These threads are funny. I know before i open the page that i'm gonna stare longingly at pictures for probably half an hour, instead of doing an assignment for the main reason I can't afford what's in the pictures. If that sentence makes sense to anyone.

yes. i'm a student. ah well.

4. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

First time posting here. I put these pic up in another watch thread, but figured they belong here.

IWC CST Chrono and my Sinn 142.

[​IMG]

and my Omega Broad Arrow on the rubber racing strap and Omega deployant.

[​IMG]

5. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

Tried on a D&S in Amsterdam, I really like this watch. Nicely finished, they make very few, and it has a tendency to retain value well. Many WIS will poo poo the hand finishing of the widely available movement (it's not like they are making them in house) but I think it is a very nice piece.
    Thoughts please: Dornbluth [​IMG] Thinking mostly in tems of workmanship and size. Neve seen a dornbuth live so ...

6. pandamonium

pandamonium Senior member

[​IMG]

That IWC chrono is really beautiful.

7. gdl203

Many WIS will poo poo the hand finishing of the widely available movement.
    Actually, that has not been the case IME. Dornblueth is quite respected - his modifications to the ETA ebauches are small but make a lot of sense (like the additional small second wheel on the 99.2). When you have such a small operation and want to offer affordable watches, that's a very respectable approach - otherwise you end up with another one of those watch artisan that make 5 to 6 figure pricetag watches and only very few get the chance to enjoy.

8. gdl203

The 142 is hot - very distinctive case and bracelet.

Here's mine (co-branded B&R)

[​IMG]

9. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

I agree, but I've certainly seen the brand beaten up a bit on TZ. Like I said, I really love the look of this watch. If they were not so hard to find at any reasonable discount, I'd likely have one. I really have a hard time getting my mind around paying retail for watches. Oh, nice 142 btw, I love that watch.
    Actually, that has not been the case IME. Dornblueth is quite respected - his modifications to the ETA ebauches are small but make a lot of sense (like the additional small second wheel on the 99.2). When you have such a small operation and want to offer affordable watches, that's a very respectable approach - otherwise you end up with another one of those watch artisan that make 5 to 6 figure pricetag watches and only very few get the chance to enjoy.

10. gdl203

I agree, but I've certainly seen the brand beaten up a bit on TZ. Like I said, I really love the look of this watch. If they were not so hard to find at any reasonable discount, I'd likely have one. I really have a hard time getting my mind around paying retail for watches.

Oh, nice 142 btw, I love that watch.

Thanks - I've had this one 11 years now and it was serviced once. I hear you on paying retail... I know you're right about some TZers throwing up on anything that doesn't have a manufacture movement - they're robotic idiots who don't get the big picture and also often couldn't tell the difference if the movement was in front of them...

11. anon

anon Senior member

+1, is it titanium? It looks like it

12. Toorman

Toorman Senior member

Thanks - I've had this one 11 years now and it was serviced once. I hear you on paying retail... I know you're right about some TZers throwing up on anything that doesn't have a manufacture movement - they're robotic idiots who don't get the big picture and also often couldn't tell the difference if the movement was in front of them...

+1 - It's not their opinion that matters anyway.

13. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

Yeah, the GST line was named after the materials the watch came in; Gold, Steel, Titanium--kind of tacky if you ask me, but I love the ti part of the line, the steel is a bit too shiny, and the gold wears like a brick, nice if you like that sort of thing. The ti looks great and wears light, and while it scratches a bit too easily you can clean it up with a scotchbright pad.

+1, is it titanium? It looks like it

14. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

The 142 is hot - very distinctive case and bracelet.

Here's mine (co-branded B&R)

[​IMG]

That's a good looking watch Greg.

15. anon

anon Senior member

Yeah, the GST line was named after the materials the watch came in; Gold, Steel, Titanium--kind of tacky if you ask me, but I love the ti part of the line, the steel is a bit too shiny, and the gold wears like a brick, nice if you like that sort of thing. The ti looks great and wears light, and while it scratches a bit too easily you can clean it up with a scotchbright pad.
    I think that's my favorite watch I've ever seen. I love chronographs and titanium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.