• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Tukker, you need to page Stitchy. He buys these things for a living. And can possibly exchange for a watch. :)

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Oops, Zero-G edition

tumblr_n17f2khnrt1qz6f9yo5_500.jpg

tumblr_n17f2khnrt1qz6f9yo4_500.jpg

You know you're a watch geek when you think that only a Speedmaster would be appropriate for that photo shoot.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You know you're a watch geek when you think that only a Speedmaster would be appropriate for that photo shoot.

I know I'm a watch geek (& not at all fond of the subject matter) when I click the spoiler and am disappointed not to see a watch in the picture. :nodding:

srsly enough already with the Kate Upton crap... she's really not all that at all.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Apologies, you're totally right of course.

A fleiger could also be appropriate.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw a couple of references to the "big 3" and decide to google. Am I right that you guys are referring to AP, Patek and VC? I'm wondering why JLC is considered a step below those three...presumably ALS isn't there because they're not Swiss?

Btw I know this is kind of a :stirpot: post so apologies in advance :laugh:

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I've heard those three described also as the traditional big three, with the addition of Lange and Breguet as a semi-official modern "big five". JLC certainly have top end pieces up there with the best of them, so I get your point, but then they also make a lot of stainless steel watches with Rolex prices. So do Breguet, I suppose, but I think it's still clear that with the same owners, JLC are positioned carefully to be more "accessible" than Lange. Relatively speaking, of course.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Mimo,

Interesting question you posed a couple pages back regarding the "dress diver." In this day and age, I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with some infatuation over a desk diver. Admittedly, they are kind of silly. But when you look at this hobby from the outside-in, it is silly. I mean, it is certainly more functional that an EOT function, sidereal time, or a moonphase.

And especially with the casualization of the workplace, these dress divers have just become more and more suitable for every day use. Even if I wanted to I could not wear a suit to the office. Or a tie for that matter. There are days where I am nothing short of mandated to wear jeans (lest I get looks of suspicion). For me, a watch like the JLC or that Blancpain makes much more sense. And let us not forget--although a dive bezel was created for... well, diving, it is an ENORMOUSLY useful function. Functionally I would take a dive bezel over a chronograph any day of the week. You can twist around the bezel ad nauseum and it won't do anything to the watch. But running your chronograph all the time is supposedly not the best if you do not want a steep maintenance bill, at least when the chronograph does not have a column wheel / vertical clutch. And even then...

In regards to those particular watches--I love the JLC, and the Bathyscaphe, I just don't know. I have not seen either of them in person, so you have to take what I say with a grain of salt. But I just don't LOVE the Bathyscaphe. I do think the extra sharp case is cool... I like the color of the dial... I could live with the day counter... but I do not know if I could live with the small-nippled dial. Everything just looks a bit small proportionately. But at the same time, it gives it a quirky feel. It does look better in pictures though:

As for the big three-big four thing. I just put VC, AP, and PP in the Big Three. They are known as such because of their storied pasts, the fact that they have been running for eons, and their propensity to work primarily (if only) in precious metals. AL&S deserves to be in the mix, but they are only 25 years old and they are German. Breguet, I would not associate with these brands. Despite having some nice models, Breguet (to me) is a creation of the SWATCH company. I love JLC, it is my favorite brand, but they make too many steel cased watches.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
But when you look at this hobby from the outside-in, it is silly.

As for the big three-big four thing.

That's pretty much where I was going, I didn't write that in the end but I was thinking it! Dressy divers are definitely silly, but in a way, so is having a mechanical clock tied to your wrist. Quite right. It's about the art and the love.

I make no great value judgement on the "big three" or modern five or four or whatever. It seems to me that Lange is clearly in the same frame, and if anything nudging one or two of the others to the side as far as top-end detailing and originality go. As for Breguet, it's just something I've read. They do have a history, they do make some very high end pieces, and none of their stuff is that cheap - bar a few sportier steel numbers. But you could say all of those things about JLC, or IWC for that matter.

So the three is the three, I love Lange best, and a Rolex-priced watch from Breguet, JLC or IWC would be a very difficult choice to make. Oh, and dressy divers. Yes, I'd love one despite my better judgement.

Specifically on the Bathyscaphe, I get all of those points. In terms of prettiness it doesn't help being sat next to that JLC either. But what I do like about it is, though impractical as a real diver, it does channel its dive history very clearly and even unfashionably. There's something rather honest about it that I like. But the drool vote goes to the Deep Sea, agreed.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lovin the strap too Kaplan, great :happy:

Thanks. It's the one that comes with the watch, along with the rubber one.

Kaplan, you too, I love that one. The gold hands are something else.

Assuming you mean the hands on the watch and not my own, I think you mixed me up with tchoy; but thanks anyway ;-)

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what this means.. but thanks.
Good point - will do!

It means if you insured the ring then lose it you get replacement value on the ring though not exactly what you paid for the ring. If you sell it you get even less than replacement. Not saying commit insurance fraud but that is what this would be.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Take it with a grain of salt because I've never been a big Paneristi, but I can't see how a Panerai fan wouldn't like everything they make.... they really mostly look the same to me.

i see what you mean, but there are some panny models i love and some i hate.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect that you'd like absolutely everything a company makes. No one's perfect.

times a billion.

Saw a couple of references to the "big 3" and decide to google. Am I right that you guys are referring to AP, Patek and VC? I'm wondering why JLC is considered a step below those three...presumably ALS isn't there because they're not Swiss?
Btw I know this is kind of a :stirpot: post so apologies in advance :laugh:

historically, PP, AP, and VC are "The Big Three". that is fact. people often debate about other brands belonging in the same group, but the phrase means what it means.

JLC imho (as a HUGE franboi) makes pieces that are in the same league, but because they also make many watches at the entry level, they will never be viewed the same way as the big 3. however, its important to note that they do make many movements for the watches under the names of the big 3. correct about ALS. kind of. even if they were swiss, im not sure that it would ever have been called the big 4, also not sure if the phrase can to be while they were defunct or not.

Good point - will do!

feel free to PM and i will help as best i can, though as far as helping you personally, MD laws are prohibitive about buying precious metals and gems through the mail. :(

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
If, by wild coincidence, it happens to be a cushion cut on white gold, then maybe you can PM me...

(Stitch - but you have an office in DC that gets around this, no?)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope. not as far as i know. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads