• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would recommend LA GRANDE CLASSIQUE DE LONGINES

Kind of a tough price range.  Most tend to be fashion watches in that range.  She might be able to get a Tag, or as someone suggested a Longines.  If she is willing to spend more, the Tank is a great watch with classic styling, and it will last a life time if taken care of (although its not a watch that I'd go swimming with). 

Yes, I was thinking TAG, but the Longines is a great suggestion. It is a fairly terrible price range. Funny how you can great some pretty excellent watches in that price range for men... but for women, not so much.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, 187's decisions are mostly made for him by the Inner Circle, that's why he can't explain them very well

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
So, a bit off the beaten path here, but can anyone think of women's watches in the $500-$1,500 price range?

I would recommend LA GRANDE CLASSIQUE DE LONGINES

Yes. Also:

- Oris Rectangular

- Longines Master Automatic (25mm)

- Raymond Weil Jasmine (bit of a Cartier Ballon Bleu lookalike, but so pretty because of it)

- Baume & Mercier Linea (there's a really nice one with a mother of pearl dial)

- Zenith Port Royal Lady

Or, a couple of wild cards:

- Oris Aquis, a dive watch but very pretty with the white dial and bezel, especially if she has fashion-watch styles in mind

And if it doesn't exactly have to be a ladies' watch:

- Frederique Constant Classics Automatic; big for a lady at 38mm but if she's not too dainty, it's a really lovely dial.

mezentius

Reaction score
Hi gents;

A few months ago I came here thinking about buying a Max Bill chrono as my first watch.

This is what I ended up with - just picked him up today

Once again, big thanks to everyone in this thread for helping me make an informed choice. I couldn't be happier with this acquisition.

Also, my 2 cents on the MUT Moon vs Grande debate - I tried them both on in steel at the shop. Unlike the others, my feelings were the other way round. I thought that the the Grande's simplicity brought out all my favourite features of this style of watch. It hits just the right spots - the small seconds cuts the vast expanse of dial of the MUT 41; the smaller indicators at 12, 3, 6 and 9 gives it more gravitas and occasion over the 2014 MUTs; and without a central second and moonphase, everything is perfectly balanced and exemplifies the epitome of orthodox elegance. Of course, not saying that the Moon is imbalanced per se, but rather that the added features, as nice as they are, distract from, rather than add to, all the reasons I love this watch.

I do most definitely prefer the Moon's case and size though.

P.S. Having never owned a watch before, whenever I move my wrist such that the winder moves (I'm assuming this because I can't see the winder) I hear a little whirl sounding like ratchets if I hold it at shoulder height (in relation to my ear). I assume this is standard mechanical noise which the winder makes, and not something to be taken care of? It's not very loud at all, and I have good hearing.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gents;

A few months ago I came here thinking about buying a Max Bill chrono as my first watch.

Once again, big thanks to everyone in this thread for helping me make an informed choice. I couldn't be happier with this acquisition.

Also, my 2 cents on the MUT Moon vs Grande debate - I tried them both on in steel at the shop. Unlike the others, my feelings were the other way round. I thought that the the Grande's simplicity brought out all my favourite features of this style of watch. It hits just the right spots - the small seconds cuts the vast expanse of dial of the MUT 41; the smaller indicators at 12, 3, 6 and 9 gives it more gravitas and occasion over the 2014 MUTs; and without a central second and moonphase, everything is perfectly balanced and exemplifies the epitome of orthodox elegance. Of course, not saying that the Moon is imbalanced per se, but rather that the added features, as nice as they are, distract from, rather than add to, all the reasons I love this watch.

I do most definitely prefer the Moon's case and size though.

P.S. Having never owned a watch before, whenever I move my wrist such that the winder moves (I'm assuming this because I can't see the winder) I hear a little whirl sounding like ratchets if I hold it at shoulder height (in relation to my ear). I assume this is standard mechanical noise which the winder makes, and not something to be taken care of? It's not very loud at all, and I have good hearing.

Congrats on the watch! It is a beauty. As for the sound, I do not recall hearing mine but I don't think I've ever paid that much attention.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wow, some great suggestions there Mimo. I think the RW and B&M are both great ideas. I made sure to pass those ones along :).
Hi gents; A few months ago I came here thinking about buying a Max Bill chrono as my first watch. This is what I ended up with - just picked him up today . Once again, big thanks to everyone in this thread for helping me make an informed choice. I couldn't be happier with this acquisition. Also, my 2 cents on the MUT Moon vs Grande debate - I tried them both on in steel at the shop. Unlike the others, my feelings were the other way round. I thought that the the Grande's simplicity brought out all my favourite features of this style of watch. It hits just the right spots - the small seconds cuts the vast expanse of dial of the MUT 41; the smaller indicators at 12, 3, 6 and 9 gives it more gravitas and occasion over the 2014 MUTs; and without a central second and moonphase, everything is perfectly balanced and exemplifies the epitome of orthodox elegance. Of course, not saying that the Moon is imbalanced per se, but rather that the added features, as nice as they are, distract from, rather than add to, all the reasons I love this watch. I do most definitely prefer the Moon's case and size though. P.S. Having never owned a watch before, whenever I move my wrist such that the winder moves (I'm assuming this because I can't see the winder) I hear a little whirl sounding like ratchets if I hold it at shoulder height (in relation to my ear). I assume this is standard mechanical noise which the winder makes, and not something to be taken care of? It's not very loud at all, and I have good hearing.
Yowzers! That is awesome! First off--let your fears be allayed, that is just JLCs winding system. The Cal 899 (or whatever it is in your JLC) only winds unidirectionally, so you get that great ratchet sound. And I think you made beautiful choice. I have to agree in particular with your description of the watch as "exemplifying the epitome of orthodox elegance." One of the things I long about the JLC Master series is that they are so difficult to dislike. They are objectively aesthetically pleasing. They tend not to alienate many, and the normal criticism is that they are a bit cold. Wear it in the best of health! Looks great on your wrist.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@mezentius

Congratulations on a lovely purchase, it does look very good on you.

Well played sir!

This. That is a lovely watch.
drool.gif

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That watch really is sublimely proportioned.

I look forward to hearing some of your thoughts with time.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
As I said, it's conceptually perfect. I found it just a little too big and empty, and wished it were either 1-1.5mm smaller, or had some texture. But that was how it felt on my wrist, and it's a very personal thing.

There's no question that the design of the dial is just beautifully understated. Congrats on a classy purchase.
smile.gif

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gents;

Congrats on the new JLC!!! Its a beauty. So simple and so elegant! I'm sure it will give you many years of enjoyment. Congrats again!

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, great pick up and welcome to the madness!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yes I wouldn't necessarily call that a like for like substitution, but such are the perils of TWAT-addiction!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, what do y'all think about the new Piaget Altiplano 900P? I feel like it may be met with mixed reviews around these parts.

38mm in width, 3.85mm in height.

Price will be around $25k, so while not inexpensive, I think it is fair for what is inarguably a piece of haute horologie.

Personally, I am kind of in love with it. I find it fascinating, and an ingenious way of reducing the thickness of a watch without making it too flimsy. From the hands on reviews I have read, everyone has remarked at how sturdy it feels, which is often a criticism of the ultra thin watches.

Although I feel the white gold will be more popular, I kind of like the rose and grey. I may have to check one of these out in the metal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads