1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

:inlove: (not my pics)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Agreed. Harmless comment that got the juices going though, I'll say that. For the record I totally see where RX was coming from.

3. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

It's interesting that the Lange is set to the exact same point in time in all of these pics.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  4. academe

academe Senior member

Agreed re: Breitling. The Navitimer is a real classic, and the Transocean series is a nice reinterpretation of the mid-twentieth century chronos that made their name. Kudos to them for becoming a full manufacture, too.

5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I like certain models from these makers, and don't think they belong with the rest on your list.

I saw Ball watches mentioned - they look nice in photos, but look terrible in the metal. It's really strange.

1 person likes this.
  6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've been wearing this a lot lately.
    [​IMG]

p.s. Someone explain to me how you get those good watch pictures on an iphone.

2 people like this.
  7. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

I'm not one to excommunicate over matters of taste.....but I don't think I've ever seen a Graham that didn't make me want to barf.

So bad that they made me go triple-negative in the above sentence :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Certainly agree with some of the watches on Mimo's list are not desirable, but I agree that Breitling has a couple of decent models, although quite a lot of their modern stuff is a bit too "blingy" or full of showy details.

Bulgari's has had some awful monstrosities, but their new line-up seems to be quite a significant improvement.

As an example, this is waaay out of my price-range, but the design is nice and it seems technically impressive:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introd...urbillon-the-thinnest-tourbillon-ever-created

1 person likes this.
  9. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

BTW, I switched my 214270 over to NATO back around Thanksgiving (just to freshen things up-- I love the oyster). And I do believe the look has grown on me.

I've been trying to allocate some more wrist time to this watch for a while now.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I tried Google searching "Good looking Graham watches" and Google replied with "Did you mean: Good looking can openers?" Graham took the crown guard concept and built a watch around that. Panerai crowd guards serve as functional and have a historical perspective.

11. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

I've seen a few pieces in recent years that would have been quite attractive absent the branding on the case.

12. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Nice change. I've been considering several different watches, and every time I put the 39 mm Explore on, it just feels right.

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Agreed.

This would be fine - albeit quite generic - without the obnoxious branding. Interestingly, Gerald Genta apparently designed the watch (or a predecessor model) and decided on the branding around the bezel as it reminded him of a Roman coin with the emperor's name around the perimeter of the coin:

[​IMG]

The new Octo Finissimo Tourbillon, on the other hand, really appeals to me. The thinnest production tourbillon in the world, apparently, and the design strikes me as simple, utilitarian and yet quite elegant. The case was also designed by Genta, I believe. Unfortunately, it apparently costs $140 000 or more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Supergenius

Supergenius Senior member

Visited the Patek AD the other day. I was told the waiting list for a 5711 is 2-3 years, so put my name on the list for one with the blue dial. We'll see what happens 2-3 years down the road...

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Add U Boat to the list.

16. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior member

I was going to Paris a few years back and saw an article about U-Boat on the plane. I was then in Galleries Lafayette and saw one for sale. It was 2700 euros (at the time over $5K beause of our garbage AUD at the time). I got carried away and got it. I absolutely hate it. In fact, I wore it half a dozen times and it has spent the last two years in the sock drawer. It isn't even entitled to the respect of a place in my watch winder. Now I am waiting for my kids to grow up so I can dump it on one of them.

1 person likes this.
  17. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

That's what I did with my Rolexes. :p

I actually like the watches now just as much as when I got them. It was their proliferating ubiquity in the succeeding years that eroded their wrist time to the point where they just sat in the box for over a decade.

18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Put this up on eBay on Monday. Really wanted to keep it.

[​IMG]

19. Sweden

Sweden Senior member

Why sell it if you want to keep it? In big need of cash?

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Stiches is in the buy/sell business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.