• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Glashutte's dark gray face on gray suede strap is one of the more unique, yet fantastic combinations

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1!

Although distractions and diversions are so tempting and fun...

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

0.jpg

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The DSOM is very VERY light. Feels much lighter than other ceramics Ive held like the IWC top gun or the JLC master compressor. Also Omega made many of the case edges shiny.. Not just a matte/dull finish. I dunno, I thought it was a great watch, just seemed like Omega was trying too hard? A lot more blingy than I imagined. That being said, if I didn't already own the 9300 in steel, the DSOM would be a lot higher on my list..
Interesting what you say about the DSOM. What about it did you find underwhelming? Was it the heft of it? I find that sometimes ceramic watches have a strange weight to them, that makes them feel kind of cheap. Or is it the actual look of the ceramic itself? .
Black Dial/Brown croc = win Silver dial/blue strap = win especially if there's some blue somewhere on that silver dial! Helps bring everything together IMO. sorry for redundant IWC pics, but here it is on the well known OEM navy croc: (my wife's favorite)
sidebar, what are you favorite color combinations for strap and dial? i think i am pretty consistently loving a black dial on a brown strap. that might be my fave. white/silver dial on a navy strap is also pretty awesome.
+1, HRoi!
I think Glashutte's dark gray face on gray suede strap is one of the more unique, yet fantastic combinations

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting! And yeah, the shiny ceramic was a bit of an odd choice. I am not sure how I feel about it either. At one point or another I will have to check it out. I think the Speedmaster 1957 is the gem of last year's Basel. I think your Speedy 9300 is the best :).

I love silver dials and navy blue straps. I want a navy blue strap for my MUT Moon. I think it will be tasty.

I also love grey dials, especially with a rose gold case. This is one of my favorite grey dials.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

pics?

--

rn - lovely.

I also love grey dials, especially with a rose gold case. This is one of my favorite grey dials.

[

that is very pretty. i think it lacks a little bit of contrast, but its damn nice.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty much anything looks good on black croc except a chunky sports watch, and even then sometimes. But black can be a little dull and generic.

Some things are just made to be on a bracelet.

Apart from that, I think the Stitchmeister is bang on the button: brown croc is awesome, and a way of making a casual black dial very classy without being too dressy (cf. any Panerai, Breguet Type XX chrono, etc etc). And blue croc on a white dress watch especially, is droolworthy. Yes indeed. (Cue Frilly with a demonstration of the latter...)
Your wish is my command and all that.
a4uvyse8.jpg
---------------------------- /****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sidebar, what are you favorite color combinations for strap and dial?

Favourite strap combos? For me, it's very dependent on the individual watch.

Some watches I only really like on their matching bracelets (RO, Nautilus). And while I think Rolex sport watches work best on their oyster bracelet, I don't mind them on a NATO now and again, but I would never put them on a leather strap.

Here are my favourite combos for 3 different black dialed sports watches:

Speedmaster on black alligator:

Luminors on mid brown distressed calf:

And I really liked Cleav's recent paring of the more dressy Radiomir with a darker brown alligator:

900x900px-LL-45e9c8d6_IMG_1486.jpeg

900x900px-LL-abcb9474_IMG_1485.jpeg

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Better late than never Frills...

It's a beaut :slayer:

Thanks Kap for da mention

Edited with hand on heart

Serious family **** going down and now on fourth movie of the day watching over the girls. The Big Leb!

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speedy on black strap is tasty. I need to do that.

Also, Cleav's combination is absolutely killer. I love the rad.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those are some awesome pics, K.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. All quickly googled to illustrate the specific combos I had in mind :)

For those interested in other Speedy strap combos, I came across a thread with some nice photos here.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry my man Cleav. I was playing tour guide at the Met with friends. Here's a shot of a true work of art!

ygemenap.jpg

Okay okay the Cupid and Psyche sculpture at the back ain't bad too.

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy eve-of-SIHH!

And to commemorate the beginning of watch season, I have penned a small poem.

Twas the night before SIHH, and all through the thread,
All the TWATters were sleeping, and resting their heads.
While over yonder in Switzerland the elves are up working,
The gents here are dreaming of Miss Upton a-twerking.

But in a few hours, as we awake from our beds,
We will find dozens of pictures and articles unread.
Novelties, price increases, complications galore!
But scouring through pictures will be not a bore.

And to here we shall unite, converging in a flurry,
Posting frequently like Stitchy, all in a hurry.
To share what we have seen, the duds and the stars,
And talk of buying watches more expensive than cars.

Watch season is upon us, it finally is here,
And with it only our wallets do have cause to fear.

~Josh

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*slow clap*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads