• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I prefer the traditional flieger from Stowa as well. It's perfection as far as pilot watches go IMO. Best looking one out there and it is extremely budget friendly which is an added bonus. Chrono functions, date displays, power reserves all belong on different models IMHO, YMMV of course. I like my pilots unbranded and simple.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Now that the BLNR is on the way, thinking about getting rid of my 5711 and switching over to a 5711R or 5712R. The 5711 has always been a sporty dress watch, but I do like it in gold with the croc band...

Anyone have one? Is it weird to go gold on a Nautilus?

Congrats on the GMT! I haven't seen the gold Nautilus in person, but I have seen it on a couple forums and I think it looks stunning. I don't know if I could see myself getting rid of a SS Nauti for it though. The SS is just too perfect. I don't think the BLNR "replaces" the 5711 or would fill the same niche for me. Unless of course you were feeling generous and wanted to send the SS to me...then it'd be OK! haha

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just have 1 nice watch. a 001.

Only 1 nice watch here as well. Good thing you picked beauty!

Went into another AD who had the candidates - MUT moon/grande both in SS side by side. What a stroke of luck! Ended up going with the Grande because of its uncompromising design for poise and balance with no distractions. Many thanks to all of you - especially Mimo - for being such ruthless enablers.

Congrats! Post up some pics when it is on your wrist.

Now that the BLNR is on the way, thinking about getting rid of my 5711 and switching over to a 5711R or 5712R. The 5711 has always been a sporty dress watch, but I do like it in gold with the croc band...

Just looked for pics of the 5711R. That is drop dead gorgeous on a strap! The only version of the Nautilus I don't like is the bi-color SS/YG...it just looks confused.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congrats on the GMT! I haven't seen the gold Nautilus in person, but I have seen it on a couple forums and I think it looks stunning. I don't know if I could see myself getting rid of a SS Nauti for it though. The SS is just too perfect. I don't think the BLNR "replaces" the 5711 or would fill the same niche for me. Unless of course you were feeling generous and wanted to send the SS to me...then it'd be OK! haha

The way I am thinking about it, I'd like a bit more "space" between the GMT and Nauti, so switching to gold might create that.

I am trying to rationalize my watch collection which has been mostly random up to now. Thinking it may look like this:

• Autodromo Monoposto for daily casual wear (I love this watch btw)
  • Rolex BLNR for a "tool" watch, although I hate that term
  • Nauti 5712R for work
  • Rolex Yachtmaster (from my father, so not really up for discussion), and
  • something nice for a dress watch: if I can score a Dufour Simplicity, I will pull the trigger, but lately been leaning towards FP Journe stuff (Either a Chronometre Souveraine or Octa Lune)

Maybe a couple of other random pieces here and there... I decided against doing a Patek complication because I never wear them enough to keep them going and don't want to constantly reset the date and other things...

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

The way I am thinking about it, I'd like a bit more "space" between the GMT and Nauti, so switching to gold might create that.

I am trying to rationalize my watch collection which has been mostly random up to now. Thinking it may look like this:

• Autodromo Monoposto for daily casual wear (I love this watch btw)
  • Rolex BLNR for a "tool" watch, although I hate that term
  • Nauti 5712R for work
  • Rolex Yachtmaster (from my father, so not really up for discussion), and
  • something nice for a dress watch: if I can score a Dufour Simplicity, I will pull the trigger, but lately been leaning towards FP Journe stuff (Either a Chronometre Souveraine or Octa Lune)

Maybe a couple of other random pieces here and there... I decided against doing a Patek complication because I never wear them enough to keep them going and don't want to constantly reset the date and other things...

Now that you explained it, I totally agree with that rationalization.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@Newcomer
@mimo
As someone who saw those slip ons in person on Nuke, I approve. They aren't my style, but after seeing them on Nuke I was nearly converted enough to kop.

:slayer:

As someone who wears loafers and shorts frequently, I will be getting much more wear out of them than most of my northern brothers!

Nuke, what was that?

Argh! So lovely. That is an absolutely excellent picture.

Ah the plans of Diabolical Dino and Fiendish Frills are working...resistance is futile...now repeat after me, "I must own something with Genta DNA, I must own something with Genta DNA...now the tough part 5711 or 15202....or BOTH!!!!  :decisions:

Thanks glad you liked the Cayman.  Wishing you a speedy journey to driving a Porsche.   FWIW...my daily driver is a Subie...the nice cars are just for weekend fun.  

Frills now that's just cruel posting such a large photo to tempt Nuke  :decisions: ....but great photo!!!  

I MUST own something with Genta DNA... I need to get on Frills' Ramen noodle diet, stat.

And you know, I think I will delay my Porsche journey for a while. I have a 2009 yota rolla right now, and it gets me from Point A to Point B without any sort of hassle, is paid off, and has had no technical problems. There are many worse things in life!

Went into another AD who had the candidates - MUT moon/grande both in SS side by side. What a stroke of luck! Ended up going with the Grande because of its uncompromising design for poise and balance with no distractions. Many thanks to all of you - especially Mimo - for being such ruthless enablers. 

Congratulations! I am sure you are going to be very happy with it. I am looking forward to seeing some pictures!

^^^ Congrats on a fine selection!  And by the way, posting pics is not optional - it's mandatory. :)

+1, pics or it didn't happen!

as part of my "narrowing down", this has made my list. I'm not sure of the silver face with the ss case...

Hmmm, you know, that is a tough one. To be completely frank--and as a disclaimer, I love my watch--sometimes, and at certain angles, the silver sunburst dial is not the sexiest. Looking at the dial head on, it is much lighter than the pictures indicate. It reflects a ton of light back. Personally, I prefer the MUT Moon in Rose Gold. However, for that price range, I would start looking in other directions. I still think that the Master series is the best value watch out there under $10,000.

I love the 5711 as well as the 5712. But to be honest, I don't really "get" the gold Nautilus. I also do not really "get" precious metal sports watches in general. I am sure that the 5712R would be a whole lot of fun to wear though.

On the other hand, if you want to divest yourself of the 5711, I am sure you could find a buyer :D.

Also, I am going to add... this post has been on FIRE lately.

And SIHH is right around the corner! Anyone hoping / looking for anything in particular?

I can feel it... it will be the year of the Geophysic reissue!

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...I recently got one of these Oakley watch vaults to throw in my carry-on when I travel (as I usually like to take 2 watches).

^^ Those things are not usually that easy to come by. They are typically out of stock.

I actually read somewhere Oakley stopped making them. If you come across them, they are few and far between now. The smalls will fit almost any watch. The larges were made for their ridiculous sized pieces. I have a small and it fits the Panerai like a glove.

I remember folks in a bit of a frenzy over the Oakley vault when they were discontinued. Some may remember the Casebudi case which was often compared to the Oakley vault. I picked up a large and small Casebudi last year and find the large is perfect for my travel needs (two trips a month). I've never handled the Vault so I can't compare the two but I find the large Casebudi to be a great value at $14:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EEQ55C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note, the small Casebudi won't fit my ~40mm cases but the large handles them just fine. I'm not certain that the large would fit a case much larger than 42mm.

Large and small casebudi cases next to 40mm-41mm Omega Seamaster for size reference:

GMTIIC's 40mm-ish Maxi case:

Seamaster peeking out:

Last edited:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Thanks Patrick! Extremely helpful post for me personally. I appreciate you taking the time to provide the pictures.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've long loved the RO Jumbo, but this thread is really making me appreciate this one more and more:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've long loved the RO Jumbo, but this thread is really making me appreciate this one more and more:

Can't blame ya. Honestly I detested the 5711 before I saw it in person and put it on my wrist. It just looked so strange. But 2D is quite different from having that beauty sit on your wrist. Now I may never part from it. The rest of my watches are earmarked for my kids when it's time to pass them on. The 5711 may well be buried with me.

akatsuki - 5711 or 5712 in R are both beauties. But there is something about my 5711 in steel that I just love. If I were to get another Nautilus then it would be in addition to my 5711/1A. Even if I were to go crazy and get a 5711 in platinum I am not sure I would let go of my steel 5711. Its finish, relative versatility (dressy but I don't care if I bring it into a chlorinated pool or the beach), make it such a great every day watch for me.

Would I bring a 5711P into a chlorinated pool? Maybe not. A 5711R? Absolutely not. But that's just me and the way I wear my watches.

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One element I actually prefer on the 5711 compared to the new Jumbo, is the white date wheel.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the mall today. No BLNR on hand. My wife saw the poster for it in the store and likes it though. Got to see the Omega DSoM and was a bit underwhelmed. Maybe more overwhelmed by the 12k price tag. Heard it's selling like fire though.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
The 7 days is peachy...the overalls a matter of indifference. I might an express an opinion, but it takes more than other men in industrial clothing to bother my nut one way or another!

Anyway, back to watches, thank you for a most helpful segue: I'm not sure what the fuss is about the DSOM. Especially when this can be found for less than half that price:

See, Nuke, it's not that the complication itself is relevant to the chrono or not. Neither is it less relevant than the simple day counter that accompanies it (like on your MUT!). Maybe it's a deliberately ironic pun on the whole Speedmaster moonwatch schtick - in which case it's an inbuilt witty watch geek joke complication, which is kind of cool.

But actually it doesn't matter. It's perfectly balanced, not at all busy, and inherently pretty - especially in this exact guise above (not the more recent inflated one with the black moonphase..oh no). This is the bestest. And I want one. :)

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That IWC is so, so, so very tasty. I love it.

Also, the BLNR has been calling me of late. Such a nice watch. That may be my next kop, maybe.

A Rolex to reward myself for taking (and hopefully passing) the TX bar would certainly seem to be fitting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads