• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yeah it's funny, I've seen a couple now in airports and odd places. I guess the initial glut has just about been fed. I was told four weeks' wait and a small discount when I enquired in Dubai a few months ago, but I've seen one or two sitting in the case since then in other places.

It is strangely delicious. Beyond me for now, which is probably a blessing.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, really appreciate the kind words! I won't bore you with the details, it's a very significant business victory--the largest of my career. I'm going to be extremely busy over the next 6 months! :)

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Congrats, TC!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Dino, and all who answered.
It is funny that you mention the risk of condensation. I think I mentioned that I still have the TAGHeuer my dad got me for my 21st birthday. The first major repair of it came about because I took it up Kilimanjaro and the inside crystal fogged on the way down. I think what happened is the pressure in the watch pushed out at the summit to equalize with the thinner air at altitude, and then, on the way down, moisture laden air pushed in from the increased pressure differential on the outside. Then the moisture condensed on the inside of the crystal. It wouldn't dry out itself and I had to have it opened up.

Steamroom is out. Not worth it. And so is that excuse for a new watch.
Hi Dopey,

Interesting story about your TAG and its journey up and down Kilimanjaro. Based on that story you clearing understand that moisture getting inside a watch, can come from sources other than submersion in water. I think many of us often think about water resistance in a very limited sense, simply wearing it to swim in a pool or the ocean. However, other factors beyond water can lead to moisture getting into a watch, be it extreme temperatures swings, pressure changes, significant differences in the density of air etc. I am sure most watches can withstand extreme conditions on occasion, but repeated exposure puts a lot of stress on a watch and its gaskets. A person might be lucky and not experience any problems for long time, but all it takes is that one unlucky occasion and you will see tell tale signs of moisture such as fogging up of the crystal. IMHO, if you have a good watch its just not worth it . Again thanks for the story about your watch and Kilimanjaro.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Good for you, TC! I just signed a new work contract today, so maybe some of your win is rubbing off - next, your watches...
devil.gif

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing's for sure, I will forever remember that I was wearing that RO when I got the phone call. These new pieces have brought a ton of luck in the new year, thanks to you guys for enabling/encouraging! :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys, really appreciate the kind words! I won't bore you with the details, it's a very significant business victory--the largest of my career. I'm going to be extremely busy over the next 6 months! :)

:slayer: awesome news. how many more watches will this fund? a dozen perhaps? a grande complication maybe?

feel free to bore us with as many details as you like.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Hi Dopey,

Interesting story about your TAG and its journey up and down Kilimanjaro.  Based on that story you clearing understand that moisture getting inside a watch, can come from sources other than submersion in water.  I think many of us often think about water resistance in a very limited  sense, simply wearing it to swim in a pool or the ocean.  However, other factors beyond water can lead to moisture getting into a watch, be it extreme temperatures swings, pressure changes, significant differences in the density of air etc.  I am sure most watches can withstand extreme conditions on occasion, but repeated exposure puts a lot of stress on a watch and its gaskets.  A person might be lucky and not experience any problems for long time, but all it takes is that one unlucky occasion and you will see tell tale signs of moisture such as fogging up of the crystal.  IMHO, if you have a good watch its just not worth it .  Again thanks for the story about your watch and Kilimanjaro. 
[/quote]

Interesting point Dino. A while ago, I was looking into watches that were rated for extreme temperatures. Living in a cold climate, I have never had a problem but generally my watches are somewhat protected by clothing. What watches out there are rated to extreme conditions. The first that came to mind (at least the mainstream variety) were the Explorer and the Planet Ocean. Rolex has documented some cases where their watches were used in the Arctic but I couldn't find anything that indicated a rating on the watches. As I expanded my search, I found only one so far, Sinn U2/U1000 which I believe is rated to -45C. Do you know if the Explorer has such a rating or is the depth rating good enough to translate to protection from other elements like extreme cold?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I recall the Panerai Arktos had some low temperature rating down to -70C or something like that.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting point Dino. A while ago, I was looking into watches that were rated for extreme temperatures. Living in a cold climate, I have never had a problem but generally my watches are somewhat protected by clothing. What watches out there are rated to extreme conditions. The first that came to mind (at least the mainstream variety) were the Explorer and the Planet Ocean. Rolex has documented some cases where their watches were used in the Arctic but I couldn't find anything that indicated a rating on the watches. As I expanded my search, I found only one so far, Sinn U2/U1000 which I believe is rated to -45C. Do you know if the Explorer has such a rating or is the depth rating good enough to translate to protection from other elements like extreme cold?[/QUOTE]
Hi Rooster,

there are watches that have been used in extreme temperatures, vintage Explorers and Explorer 2s (older models, as I'm not sure the new ones have actually been used by mountain climbers or for cave exploration), and the old Oysterquartz watches. Probably most professional dive watches that are going to great depths, as water often gets very cold at deep depths. However, what you need to be mindful of is that it is not necessarily an issue for a watch to function in extreme temperatures, part of what I discussed was how a watch is treated in terms of having time to slowly reach normal temps as opposed to going from room temp to extreme heat or cold and then quickly back to room temp. Those things don't affect the functioning of a watch, but they can cause condensation to form under a crystal if its temp is forced to change quickly. Its less likely to happen to people wearing a watch with winter clothing over it and its case back is against your wrist. But extreme cold against an exposed crystal, or maybe bringing it into a steam room and then bringing it back to room temp could be an issue. Most people, short of those that actually do climb mountains or go to polar regions, probably do not need watches rated for extreme temps. I would say, that people who constantly subject their watches to extreme conditions probably should have their watches serviced more frequently and have the gaskets replaced more frequently.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
^^Good advice as always.^^

I'm wearing this one today, in an extreme environment that I like to call "my office":

The swings that we get around here tend to be more of the mood variety, rather than the temperature.

kungapa

Reaction score

A boss of mine once gave me the advice to mark major career and life changes with a major lasting purchase - promotions, marriage, etc. I like that idea - one thing to mark another, and you will forever remember this business win when you look down on your wrist.

Now, which watch will you get to celebrate?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing's for sure, I will forever remember that I was wearing that RO when I got the phone call. These new pieces have brought a ton of luck in the new year, thanks to you guys for enabling/encouraging!
smile.gif
Congrats on your recent successes. Any hints as to the next purchase???

I'm wearing this one today, in an extreme environment that I like to call "my office":

The swings that we get around here tend to be more of the mood variety, rather than the temperature.
rotflmao.gif
Looks great Keith....depending on the office it could involve being subjected to far greater extremes than the Arctic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads