• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first real watch was my Hamilton Khaki for in the $300-$400 range bought in 2012. Before that I wore a cheap-o Timex on a strap to see if I liked wearing a watch. Even though I lusted after more expensive watches, during the Timex period, I waited until after a few times of not wearing a watch and would look at my wrist for the time. At that point I knew I would enjoy and love watches. I then pursued my Hamilton for what felt like a year or 2 to make sure it was the right one and to find the price I thought was reasonable.

As others know, my current Rolex GMT was a gift that I would have never thought of buying myself for a few more years.

Lastly, anyone that wants a little more BLNR in their lives, Baron on Purists Pro wrote this up before making his BLNR purchase and if taught me a few things I had not known previously.

http://rolex.watchprosite.com/show-...ex-gmt-master-2-reference-116710-the-bruiser/

Last edited:

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The BLNR is awesome. It could be my next purchase. I guess there are 5 people on the waiting list at the store I bought the PAM from. Paid in full. Crazy. maybe a year wait.

I'm not sure where he got his info on 904L, but to say it's much harder/tough in mechanical properties and tougher to machine than say 316L is simply not true. The corrosion resistance is true however

Last edited:

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The BLNR is awesome. It could be my next purchase. I guess there are 5 people on the waiting list at the store I bought the PAM from. Paid in full. Crazy. maybe a year wait.

+1! I'm lusting after this thing. Demand is high, although it's not too hard to come by on the gray market, BNIB. I am a little reluctant to say it, but now that I've found a reliable source for AP, IWC and Rolex (and virtually anything else that interests me), I would be hard pressed to work with a local AD. I think the Houston economy is just too strong to justify the discounts that I can get on watches sourced from slower markets.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

+1! I'm lusting after this thing. Demand is high, although it's not too hard to come by on the gray market, BNIB. I am a little reluctant to say it, but now that I've found a reliable source for AP, IWC and Rolex (and virtually anything else that interests me), I would be hard pressed to work with a local AD. I think the Houston economy is just too strong to justify the discounts that I can get on watches sourced from slower markets.

+1 I have a similar source for all high end brands. I will never go the AD route again. I did that for my second Rolex because I thought I wanted the "AD experience". The only experience I got was paying 15% more.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Rolex AD said BLNR's were first come, first served but I think if you bought quite a few watches from them they would have held onto one for you. I just happened to wander in on the day they got their first one and I said I'd take it. They do have some older black with green hand GMTs in stock but the BLNR's probably won't hit the shelves until those are sold.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Oh ****, I just remembered that I have a JV style strap lying around somewhere. It's not OEM but it looks pretty darn good. I bought it off a timezone vendor based in Thailand if I'm not mistaken

Probably from Peter (?) I got a quote from him several months ago, but never pulled the trigger....IIRC it was *far* more reasonable than the OEM version (which is in no way surprising).

I've heard good things, if it's the same maker.

I guess I don't change straps as much as a lot of the Panerai guys typically do. (I've only got the one Panny.) But it's nice to have options and different looks to switch up when you get a little bored.

Also would recommend The Watch Boys, where I got a 26X22 honey croc, with contrast stitching, and I want to say it was about $120 US.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Since NS was talking about blingy watches...here is my bling shot of the week. Its a 1994 16528 Daytona in YG with cal 4030 (which used an El Primero as a base movement). It's blingy so I don't wear it often, but it was my Dad's and I really like it. It doesn't look quite so blingy when its not in bright light, and interestingly as gold can oxidize over time (this one has...it has taken on a slightly rosier hue).
Going back a day or so to quote this, and let everybody have a second look...but I'm intrigued by Dino's observation about yellow gold oxidizing into something a bit more rosy. Rose gold seems far more popular these days, although I consider myself more of a yellow gold person. I'm kind of old school maybe, and my wedding band is yellow, but-- and this might make me sound like a ***** -- I also don't feel like the rose gold tones complement my skin / complexion / hair color, etc. Having said that, it would be pretty awesome to have a piece (not necessarily the always-cool Daytona), but any watch that sort of takes on that kind of aging process in the metal. If it started yellow, I'm sure it's not going to turn out like "Everose" (in Rolex-speak, a different alloy anyway) but a little bit of a maturation, a little patina that you've earned along the journey......always trés cool.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Keith,

the funny thing about rose gold, is that on some items exposure to chemicals in shower water or swimming pool water can make rose gold change color...and guess what it becomes more like yellow gold and loses that rose hue. This doesn't happen on watches or jewelry rarely in contact with pool water or water from sinks/showers. I've seen people complain about RG turning more like YG on discussions about Cartier Love bracelets in RG, and also with RG Rolex watches. About 6 months to a year ago someone on a Rolex forum complained their Everrose Day-Date had turned yellow in color after owning it for just a few months. IIRC, Rolex took the watch back , and I think he choose a yellow gold model...although I wasn't sure what they point was if the RG looked like YG anyway...maybe for resale so people wouldn't question it if the watch doesn't look like Everrose but its supposed to be ER.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Hi Keith,

the funny thing about rose gold, is that on some items exposure to chemicals in shower water or swimming pool water can make rose gold change color...and guess what it becomes more like yellow gold and loses that rose hue.  This doesn't happen on watches or jewelry rarely in contact with pool water or water from sinks/showers.  I've seen people complain about RG turning more like YG on discussions about Cartier Love bracelets in RG, and also with RG Rolex watches.  About 6 months to a year ago someone on a Rolex forum complained their Everrose  Day-Date had turned yellow in color after owning it for just a few months.  IIRC, Rolex took the watch back , and I think he choose a yellow gold model...although I wasn't sure what they point was if the RG looked like YG anyway...maybe for resale so people wouldn't question it if the watch doesn't look like Everrose but its supposed to be ER. 

Dino, wasn't Rolex's sole purpose of developing Everrose that it isn't supposed to change color??? haha

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino, wasn't Rolex's sole purpose of developing Everrose that it isn't supposed to change color??? haha
Yes, that was exactly the purpose...but I guess Everrose not a 100 % guarantee that it won't change color. I was surprised when I read that it had happened on a few Everrose pieces.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Yes, that was exactly the purpose...but I guess Everrose not a 100 % guarantee that it won't change color.  I was surprised when I read that it had happened on a few Everrose pieces. 

I guess someone was asleep at the wheel the day they mixed that batch up!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How much did everyone spend on their first real watch?  This thread is giving me a bit of an itch....

define "real" watch?

my progression of 1sts:

casio calculator watch from caldor. my dad got it for me, but id guess maybe 20 bucks.
esq from macys - 250
ebel 1911 senior big date - 1800 iirc

you have a lot of watches on your next list. this should be fun.

i thirst for the BLNR

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Probably from Peter (?) I got a quote from him several months ago, but never pulled the trigger....IIRC it was *far* more reasonable than the OEM version (which is in no way surprising).

I've heard good things, if it's the same maker.

Yes!! I'm pretty sure that was him. Don't remember price but it wasn't over $180.

So after making my last post I got home and tore it apart until I found the strap. Now I can't wait for the watch to come back from service so I can put it on.

I snapped a pic:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And now we wait for a kind old lady to come by your shop with one for cheap!

lol. unlikely and my boss would never let that go for cheap.

speaking of, remember that gold tiffany watch? he took it for himself. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads