1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

No. Buy what you want for you and worry less about what other people wear or what they might be thinking about what you wear.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Panerai did not invent the cushion-shaped case used in the Radiomir. In fact, the original Panerai watches (which later became the Radiomir) used a Rolex case. It's a common shape from the pre-WWII period.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Very nice Ex2 !

I like JLCs, but I find the Duometre Quantiemme Lunaire too busy. If buying try to find a pre-owned one. JLC's in that price range have a very limited appeal, and low resale value so you could have trouble selling it unless you let it go for a "Fire sale price," if you ever tire of it. I know Stitchy doesn't like the story, but a friend of mine tried to sell a limited ed. platinum JLC, that was in like new and a local high end pre-owned watch shop said there is no market for it. They would only buy PP, AP, VC, Lange, Rolex and some Cartier. Obviously, if you love it and see it as a keeper then go for it, but if you tire of watches and sell/trade them for others, its something to consider.

1 person likes this.
  4. mafoofan

This is definitely true. The market for the "trinity" is much bigger than for other watchmakers, even ones as esteemed as JLC. Just think of all the Patek-focused collectors out there. It's a much odder duck that mainly collects JLCs.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG] Yes, maah maaaan! Now that you mention it, I remember that watch. I thought the dial on it looked great...nothing unbalanced about it at all!

Yes, not sure who invented the cushion shape case. VC was definitely using it by at least 1921, hence their Historiques American 1921. It seems a lot of companies used very interesting case shaped well before WWII...rectangles, tonneaus, tortues, squares etc. Today, the market is strongly round watches with the occasional non-round shape (a few companies like JLC with the Reverso, and Cartier with their Tanks, and VC with their Historiques are the exceptions)

1 person likes this.
  6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Well, I certainly cant argue about the resale/value over time issue, but personally, I love that watch. I have handled it a few times in person, and its a treat beyond words.

Also, it has one of the most beautiful backs out there.

So, KOP I SAY!!!

7. mafoofan

On that note, one of the most spectacular contemporary non-round watches in existence, the Patek 3670A in stainless steel and based on a vintage NOS movement:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. mafoofan

You know what sucks? Getting a new watch but having no strap to wear it with.

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

A total steal at only CHF240,000 for a LE of 16.

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I rather like that Patek.

11. mafoofan

I said it was spectacular, didn't I?

12. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

How does something like that happen?

13. sepp

sepp Senior member

Guys, does one strictly need to match the color of watch straps with belts and shoes?

Or is it better to go metal bracelet for convenience?

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

I like the aesthetics and the movement. Not so much the fact that it's made in steel.

15. mafoofan

Watch was shipped from Europe. The AD is shipping the alligator strap separately to make sure there is no customs hold-up.

1. No. However, if you are wearing black shoes and a black belt, and your watch strap is leather, it should be black.

2. Bracelets are more casual. I find them to be less versatile that way.

1 person likes this.
  16. mafoofan

The fact that it is a steel Patek only makes it more awesome. Takes balls.

17. sepp

sepp Senior member

Thanks mafoofan.

18. no frills

no frills Senior member

John Goldberger and Ben Clymer agree with you. I disagree.

19. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Ha, I can't believe they used Times New Roman on those subdials. What is it with modern Patek and default commodity-box fonts? While I don't have the same level of objection on principle with TNR as I do with Arial (since it's at least not a fee-dodging knockoff), I'd expect better than something that almost as strongly evokes office drudgery and is about as ubiquitous due to Windows.

That sort of lazy typeface selection was one of the things that bugged me about my Reverso GMT, too. JLC uses it a lot (especially on the Duometre line that we're discussing), but I haven't noticed it on a on a Patek until now. Even worse, the amateurish numbering around the main dial is done in some kind of oddly squashed mismatch of serifs and sans-serifs, too.

Weak.

2 people like this.
  20. mimo

mimo Senior member

And the GP Sixties and GO Square Sixties chronos are cooler cases imho. Heck, so is the Tag Monza. Take that, Patek!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.