1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Not at all, but then I only wear a jacket or a suit if I want to, not because I have to, so I happily pair that stuff with my (sporty) watches. Not that I wouldn't like a 'real' dress watch (like a Reverso) to switch it up from time to time.

I agree with RogerP that it's very clean and understated (especially on a leather strap) and I can't imagine anyone really thinking it looks out of place with a suit.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I'm in the same boat as you -- suits are pretty much only worn for weddings and funerals these days, and I honestly choose to not wear a watch with suits most times.

I do, however, wear some variation of odd jacket/trou and open-collar shirt for most of the week. I've tried the XV on with a similar rig in the past and never thought of it as out of place, so I was taken aback by it being classified as strictly casual/weekend wear.

1 person likes this.
  3. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

I can certainly understand a size (or stylistic) preference, but the 39mm version has the updated cal. 3132 with Parachrom hairspring, and the better bracelet with Easylink clasp, just to name a couple of upgrades.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I can't wear a 36mm watch - it looks too small on me. Sucks, but that's the conclusion at which I have arrived.

Stitchy, how come no go on the Vacheron?

5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I think the Ex 1 (still on my list), Inge or the mark xv are all good choices but since I am all about the Transocean lately, I would also suggest in that midrange, versatile business casual watch the Transocean day date. Saw this one in the mid threes (used).

[​IMG]

Also the chrono can be had for well under 5k.

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

When I was a kid, my parents and I would vacation in Hawaii every year, and every year I would ask (as a 9, 10, 11, etc. year old) for them to buy me a shiny, yellow dialed Breitling. :lol:

Maybe I should fulfill my childhood dream?

7. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Nothing wrong with the 36mm that immediately preceded the latest 39mm version. Some say this new thing is better, some say the old is better. The reality is, they're both Rolexes, they're both top notch quality. You win with either. I just prefer the size of the 36mm variety. The hands are too small on the 39mm version as well. It just looks odd to me, doesn't work overall IMO.

The OP 36mm is a great option, too. The oversized case and thicker lugs make this 36mm the way to go for people that think 36mm won't work for them, plus it has much of the updated aspects that the 39mm Explorer 1 has.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Actually, giving this some more thought and my comment 'I can't imagine anyone really thinking it looks out of place with a suit', I guess I actually *can* imagine someone thinking that - in a hypothetical, highly conservative environment, but I don't know if such exist (to that degree).

It also just struck me, that when I do wear a suit, I often dress it down, so for me a sportier watch works just fine for that.

1 person likes this.
  9. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Make sure it has a giant diamond encrusted bezel.

10. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

@RFX45 Nice combo! Love the GMT...the tank ain't bad either [​IMG]

11. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Nah — that's bullshit, man. Not hardy compared to what, a G-Shock?

The cal. 3000 found in the 14270 model has had some criticism because it isn't the prettiest as far as decoration goes, but it's a well-engineered movement when it comes to function. Its reliability and toughness are at the top of the heap among mechanical wristwatch movements, and the same goes for the earlier 1570 and later 3130/3132 calibres. Although my preference in an Explorer would be for the earlier 1016 or later 114270, I wouldn't let it put me off those 1989-2001 models, which are great watches for actually wearing.

The 16200 and the 116000 are also worth considering if you like the Explorer, as I think they're unbeatable as a non-trendy goes-with-everything watch that you can wear every day. I went through this process myself recently, as I wanted something simple in 36 mm steel. I chose the 17000 Oysterquartz since I already have enough mechanical ones for now, but I could have just as easily gone with the Explorer, Datejust or OP. And I would not be concerned about reliability with any of them.

Edit: Yeah, what TheWraith said.

2 people like this.
  12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1 for the 114270 in particular (but all the Explorer 1 models you mention).

I gotta get me an Oysterquartz. I got me a hankering for one of those ;)

:fistbump:

1 person likes this.
  13. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

I'd like to be associated with the words of the last speaker :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ Haven't seen your Rolex beauty lately, mate ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Mate, you suckered me in...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I just love that watch :inlove:

1 person likes this.
  17. stafa

stafa Senior member

The 36mm Explorer 1 is such a great watch. It was my first entry into luxury watches and I don't see myself ever selling it

1 person likes this.
  18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ Good. Hang on to it.

19. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Go for it! I'm really pleased with mine so far; it's an understated watch that I don't find boring. (But please bear in mind that my taste in watches is questionable.)
    This isn't my photo, but it's identical to my OQ right down to the dial colour — as well as Dino's and Non Serviam's. I think the design has aged well:

[​IMG]
    image credit: Old Expat Beast on TRF

The movement offers something a bit different, too:

[​IMG]
    image credit: MaggyPee on r-l-x.de

It was the lowest-production Rolex during its run and they certainly aren't making any more of them, but there are still good examples to be had out there. I don't think you'd have anything to lose by giving it a go.

2 people like this.
  20. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ Yep, I'm gonna get me one one of these days. Just a question of the look/colour to go for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.