1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I know that there are people on SF with lots of discretionary income, and I know that browsing SF can encourage consumption, but at the risk of sounding like a wet blanket, didn't you just spend many tens of thousands of dollars on a Patek Philippe a couple of weeks ago?

1 person likes this.
  2. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

Sometimes acquisitions come in bunches, it's just the way it works out. I bought my first two watches (Rolex Daytona and President) in my first year out of college and then didn't buy another watch for the next few years. Mind you, I had been jonesing for both watches for quite some time, just waiting till I had the cash.

3. wurger

wurger Senior member

agreed, JM, that Patek was an opportunistic buy after realizing how expensive is a PP perpetual calendar.

A bit more thought for future buys.

4. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Don't get me wrong, I love the watch. I just get morose when I drink.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I enjoy watching you guys spend money

6 people like this.
  6. academe

academe Senior member

All this RO talk had me pulling out mine. The Reverso has been grabbing more wrist time recently, so it was nice to get this one out of the box again.

[​IMG]

Foo - nice to hear about the 2fer. Both great choices.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

100%. About 18 years ago I got "The call" for what in the mid 90's was my grail watch. A steel Daytona 16520 (with Zenith based movement) at list price $4,350, back when most places in the US had long waiting lists of a few years, or you had to know someone, or be willing to pay nearly twice the list price to get one. The only thing was it had a while dial, rather than the black dial that I truly wanted. However at that price I couldn't pass one up. A few months later I moved to a new city, and I visited local watch shops including a Rolex AD. I ask about steel Daytonas and they said the last time they had a steel Daytona was about a year ago around the holidays, they didn't ask over retail, they didn't do waiting lists and its on a first come first serve basis. A few weeks pass and its about mid December, I call and ask if they have a black dial SS Daytona...sure enough they just got one in, later that afternoon I had my black dial grail Daytona. I was in school so I sold off a steel Sub Date to help pay for it, but it was an opportunity I could not pass up.

8. mimo

mimo Senior member

What's your grail now?

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Funny thing about grails - you finally get it, and another one appears almost immediately

3 people like this.
  10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Terrific GS there Hayward.

1 person likes this.
  11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

My last grail was the RO ultra thin 15202. Funny thing is since I've owned it, I've been so satisfied with it that I haven't encountered a new grail. I've seen and tried on many great watches that I would be happy to add to my collection, but nothing that I feel I absolutely must have.

5 people like this.
  12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I see nice examples of Zenith movement Daytonas going for $12-$13k or so. I'm assuming that's par for the course? Passively considering a new daily driver.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  13. no frills

no frills Senior member

Thumbs up. Boom.

14. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

You should be able to fine one in great condition for that price. The ones I'd consider nice seemed to be around 10 or 11 K last time I checked, give or take.

I think it would be a great choice as an everyday watch, by the way, and the prices will likely stay very strong for that model. To me, the 4030-movement Daytona offers a great combination of looks, practicality and collectibility. It's a special watch, but not so special that you can't actually wear the thing, ya know what I mean?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  15. no frills

no frills Senior member

I've got to say the brushed finish biases me towards divers like the SD4000, as a daily wearer.

But I haven't kicked my Daytona out of bed just yet.

1 person likes this.
  16. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

The Daytona is a beautiful watch, no question. However, it is so ubiquitous, I don't think I would ever buy one. I know it sounds like a silly reason but there are probably 5+ people I work with who have them (NYC finance). Perhaps in some circles this is less of a concern.

1 person likes this.
  17. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

I'm going on record and saying I'm officially done for a couple years. :). Well, assuming the new arrival is everything I hoped it would be.

1 person likes this.
  18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I need two more and then I'm done for awhile, too :)

19. stafa

stafa Senior member

[​IMG]

I think I have my eyes on this. I was surprised to see the prices these sell at secondhand and think they offer great value for a great complication.

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

At the risk of sounding really very petty, I like everything about that watch except for the numeral at the 6 o'clock mark. If it did not have the calendar and moonphase complications, I assume that it would have numerals at the 12, 3 and 9 o'clock marks, too, but of course those spaces are occupied by the sub-dials.

Given that the other hours are marked by batons (or whatever the correct term for that sort of hour marking is) and that no other numerals are visible, I think that it would have been better if JLC had simply put a baton at the 6 o'clock mark, instead of the only hour numeral on the whole dial.

As I said, it's a small issue and it no doubt sounds very petty, but it makes the dial look a bit unbalanced, to my mind.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.