1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Cool...you've got some nice ones there.

I also like your leather "watch coasters". :happy:

2. Sweden

Sweden Senior member

Is it a Monza?

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

They still make some of the 40mm models.
    In general, the automatic models have the date bubble on the dial side of the crystal.

I bought my wife a 40mm but she doesn't wear it much because it's so thick.

4. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Yes. They are, in clockwise order: Tag Heuer Monza; Tag Heuer Kirium Chrono; Tag Heuer Forumula 1; Parmigiani Kalpa Grande; and Girard Perregaux vintage in the center.

Thanks. The "coasters" are ostensibly small leather change trays made by Mulholland Bros., but they see no change and instead hold my wedding ring and various watches after they've been recently worn. I have four of them: two in bridal tan, two in sand colored suede.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sweden

Sweden Senior member

Nice collection! But I prefer just Heuer instead of Tag Heuer!
    The early Heuer Monza is golden! :)

6. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Very much agree with this. The IWC Mark series was supposed to be a continuation of the watch model that was issued to RAF and later BOAC pilots in the forties and fifties. The arrow and bar hands are a key component of the design. Then they made the change over to German style sword hands. Probably a reaction to the brief popularity of B-Uhr homage pieces. Dumb.

2 people like this.
  7. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

IWC used to be my favorite maker. Before the Mark XVI, that is.

Through the Mark XV, their pilot watches were incremental iterations of historical models actually used by military pilots (the Mark XI and B-Uhr, predominantly). Subsequently, the entire range was re-designed to evoke the romance and adventurism of air travel for a broader audience with less interest in design purity and more interest in flash. Hence, the newer watches adopted gimmicky styling cues from airplane instrument dials (like the utterly tasteless enlarged date window). They are no longer pilot watches but watches to remind people of pilots. Fucking awful.

The current Big Pilot is a particularly notable travesty.

8. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Watch box recommendations anyone?

High quality, for five or more watches, under $1,000.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Buben & Zorweg or Underwood or Rapport

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  10. adagio

adagio Senior member

I'm looking to buy a Watch Winder, and I wondered which of these might be the better one?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121368240277?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150927113388?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

They're similarly priced, and both have additional storage, and visually the only difference appears to be the position of the two knobs. The timer functions seem different in terms of duration and frequency though.

Any thoughts Gents please? If you have any alternative suggestions I'd appreciate them. I can't justify paying North of a few hundred £s for a winder so a £1000 item isn't an option. Also ideally I'd like a battery operated Winder so I can keep in a safe.

Thanks in advance.

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

I'm going to recommend something a little different. Try Ray Jones woodcrafts - http://www.rayjoneswoodboxes.com/

Completely handmade, everything down to the hinges are made of wood. Solid wood, in the wood you ordered. Nothing else. All orders are custom, so you can wait for an interesting piece of wood to fall into his hands (e.g. after a storm), or make a request and he will look for a piece of wood for you.

Here is a photo of mine, which was made of book matched spalted birdeye maple. The drawers hold 4 watches (slimmer ones... like a Tank) and the main compartment will accommodate the biggest watches (...like a Pannie), and has lift out trays so that my wife can (for now, muahahahaha) share it with me. Since everything is custom, you can make alterations to the basic design, and of course the trays/drawers can be changed to store pens, cufflinks, etc. Many different box sizes.

I find that the plywood with exotic veneer boxes hawked by most "commercial" watch box manufacturers (Agresti, etc) to be somewhat disingenuous on a fundamental level, like pretty cases masking pedestrian movements.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. wurger

wurger Senior member

Went to the AD today, trying out the RO, deciding between 41mm 15400 and 37mm 15450, my wrist is around 6.25 inch. 15202 is out of the question due to no boutiques in Australia and price.

Got to say the silver petite tapisserie pattern dials are amazing, and AP having 3 sizes on the market to cater for different wrists is very considerate and smart, compare to VC overseas' one size of 42.5mm.

The integrated bracelet design makes RO wears quite large vertically, especially when I have a round wrist. Overall, 37mm 15450 looks a winner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15400 side
    [​IMG]

15450 side
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I normally would not go against the 15400, but man, that 37mm just looks better on you.

2 people like this.
  14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I used to really like some of the IWC products in the 1990s, the Novecento Perpetual Calendar, the 3713, and a few others. Sadly they haven't made anything of interest to me in years. If I ever do get an IWC, it will be something from their past.

Beautiful!!! Their workmanship looks very impressive.

Great watches! The 15450 looks like a much better fit for you, especially in the side photos you posted. After 2 years of RO ownership, its definitely the watch that gets most of my wrist time. You will not be disappointed. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

1 person likes this.
  15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Me too. Giving serious thought to one on the secondary market right now.

1 person likes this.
  16. Flake

Flake Senior member

The short lived 62 & 103 were 40mm Rads powered by a Zenith derived automatic. I have the 103. It wears small for a Panerai, but that's not saying much. Works very well as a dress watch IMO though.

17. Flake

Flake Senior member

My wife wears a 49 (white faced 40mm auto). She has tiny wrists but pulls it off ok. She has quite a strap collection for it.

18. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

[​IMG]

I should just never ask for advice. I never end up taking it, and everyone just think I'm an ingrate.

2 people like this.
  19. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I don't know, I think that is a great watch, personally. One of my favorite GS's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.