1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yup! Rolex AD.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

DavidSW might be grey market but at times he sells watches with warranty in it. I believe he just gets the warranty cards stamped by whichever AD he gets his watches from and leaves the name and date blank for David to fill in with his buyers info. That is as a good as an AD purchased watch.

3. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I can verify that you can get a discount at a U.S. Rolex AD if you are paying cash.

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

That is exactly what any reputable grey market dealer does, though.

5. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

Last month I was with a friend who was looking at a two tone Sub (blue face) at an AD and he was offered a 10% discount. That's my favorite Sub.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Not really, Jomashop and Authenticwatches are two of the biggest grey market stores online but does not give you the warranty card and they provide you with their own warranty. They will try to fix your watch for you and if you simply send the watch to directly to Rolex, they won't cover anything at all.

With the warranty card from DavidSW, you can send it in to Rolex without a problem. That may be the case with more forum grey market sellers but not all does it, there are some reputable sellers in forums that just sells watches new and without warranty or you get the card already stamped with the previous owners name (even though the watch was never worn and still has stickers) and dated several months.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Good info.

What does one have to request, exactly, from DavidSW? Is this a secret handshake thing or is this something he offers regularly?

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Express your concerns and he will answer any questions you might have. I've completed a few transactions with him, many more people have done quite a few more. Great guy, %100 reliable and totally trust worthy.

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

You're falling for the :foo: trap!
    Do not dare question the :foo:.

10. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

I've bought several rolexes from David. Never an issue with the purchase. Haven't had the need for warranty work, but the cards were stamped and dated, but open name.

I've also received discount offers for SS models in US AD's in NJ, but not NYC.

Go to rolexforums for David's daily listings and info.

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Just send him a PM and let him know that you are interested in an Explorer I with AD warranty stamp and if he has one in stock then you're in luck, if not then he'd see what he can find.

That is really the only downside, you may have to wait til he gets one and he can't always guarantee the one he gets will have the warranty card. If you aren't in any hurry though, just let him know to contact you when he gets one or inquire for a price.

There are some cases where grey market shops/sellers aren't the best spot to buy though but mostly when one watch is in demand in certain areas but are more common in others, like with BLNR, I can likely get a deeper discount in my AD than what most forum sellers are looking to sell them for (or at least match their price). Jomashop actually still has the BLNR ~$1k above retail too just like the stainless steel Daytonas.

12. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I've gotten discounts from my AD on all of our modern steel Rolexes. Am I missing something?

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I've been offered decent discounts on every modern steel Rolex save the Daytona - and that is the exception solely because I have never seriously considered the Daytona. Either I am the luckiest guy in the world, or this notions that discounts on such watches are hard to come by is a myth.

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Discount on Rolex isn't impossible, it actually happens often it's just not as deep in comparison to other brands. Most ADs will start with no dicount then go with 2%-3% and then it is up to your haggling skills.

And if you visit a boutique, then it is nearly impossible to get a discount.

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

I too get discounts from one of my ADs. However, it really depends on your relationship and their relative business situation and negotiating power. I want to say I have a decent relationship with Wempe in NYC but I can't get any discounts from them for new steel Rolex models.

16. yls2012

yls2012 Active Member

Anyone have thoughts on a classic Royal Oak (either the relatively affordable 15400 or the pricier and more special 15202) vs. a Lange 1815 Up/Down?

17. sepp

sepp Senior member

15202 will be the obvious choice for me.

1815 being a dressier watch will serve different purpose that sporty ROs you mentioned.

18. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Agreed that they are very different but in this instance, I lust after the new 1815 up/down. That could very well be my one watch - and this coming from a 15202 owner. I think the 1815 up/down can be dressed down very easily and would work beautifully as a daily wearer. Obviously not for sporty activities or at the beach (the 15202 doesn't do that duty either), but for everything else it would absolutely brilliant.

19. no frills

no frills Senior member

Why wouldn't the 15202 be okay for sporty activities or the beach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. sepp

sepp Senior member

15202 despite its tough exterior, has a thin and delicate movement.

It looks sporty but please don't do sports on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.