1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sepp

sepp Senior member

Keep the 38mm if you have no problem keeping it under your shirt cuffs.

2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. mimo

mimo Senior member

I think they both work, actually. It depends what you're looking for: the smaller one is plenty big enough for a dress watch. It's in perfect proportion to your wrist, and I wear a 35mm watch with a suit even though my wrist is 7"+. Belligero's a giant and he wears watches that size, too. It's a classy piece under your shirt cuff, very subtle and dignified.

But. If you're looking for something more casual and modern-looking, that could still fly with a suit and tie, especially if you're a younger guy with a more fashion-forward style, then the bigger one is fine: it's slightly more in-your-face and oversized, but it's not silly on your wrist at all. It's just a lot more show.

So really, there's no wrong answer. Think of the image you want to project with it, and choose accordingly.

That thing looks like you could beat someone to death with it. In a good way. Nice shot.

2 people like this.
  4. Sweden

Sweden Senior member

Can someone please explain why Hublot is a great watch? I dont see it! :)

I have never seen one nice model!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Well the GMTII didn't work out. The pre-owned one that I was hoping to make a deal on had been noticeably polished. I did find a new one at an AD and liked it okay but not enough to kop. Against my better judgment I tried on my grail but the deal I was offered was $10k+ more than the price from my gray market source, and then taxes on top of that. The half bottle of wine I had in me was not enough to take that bullet. Anyways, after sleeping on it a couple of nights and being prodded by my wife to just "stop obsessing and buy the damn thing already," I think I am going to kop. The only question is from where.

I am having lunch tomorrow with my next door neighbor who owns an AD. When I first met him at his housewarming party he told me that if I ever needed anything he would take care of me. I don't know if he meant take care of me in the sense he could get it for me, or in the sense he could give me a very good price. Lol. Guess we will find out. I value the friendship so I'm not inclined to negotiate.

6 people like this.
  6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Good update TC, waiting keenly to hear the next instalment :nodding:

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

@ Dino&mimo: Admit it, you guys are having a secret wager on which one of you can get Belligero to break down and post something along these lines:

[​IMG]

:)

3 people like this.
  8. mimo

mimo Senior member

What?

@TC (Houston) , I look forward to a vicarious kop event imminently, but a piece of advice: negotiate, even if you're friends. The bottom line is..er...your bottom line. He's a businessman, and you're a customer. He wants to sell you that watch. And even with a good deal, he will make money. But as a wealthy friend of mine once told me, "get over yourself". I was having issues with asking for the day rate I wanted to do some work for them - my first foray into consulting, and I suppose in British culture, talking about money feels crude. But this is a commercial transaction, and I don't think you're being at all unfriendly if you say you're naturally looking for the best price, and when you find it, you hope he can get close to matching it because you'd like to buy from a friend.

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

The double space after a period, that you both like, but that some really don't :)

As for that first link, definitely nothing wrong with being over 40 (well, apart from three day hangovers).

1 person likes this.
  10. mimo

mimo Senior member

I was feigning ignorance, I got you. But being over forty, I learned to type on a typewriter - a mechanical one at that - and that double-space habit dies hard!

I gave up hangovers some years ago. Now I have other addictions emerging.

3 people like this.
  11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Much of what you say is true, but I can still do without reviews such as Odetts. It's a poor piece of work IMO.

One space after a full stop (what most of you call a period). Yes please :)

1 person likes this.
  12. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

:cheers:

Ha, I thought I was the only one who noticed!

Still, it's nothing to get worked up over. There are more pressing issues out there. Misuse of the phrase "begs the question" to mean "raises the question", for one example among many.

That's right! In fact, my newest arrival is around 35 mm. Even though the interwebs assure me that such a thing is strictly for wimps and Communists, I don't mind having a simple, chilled-out watch:

[​IMG]

Despite the constant taunts of those emboldened by their macho watches, one thing that I appreciate is that the less-bulky profile isn't as prone to getting snagged in the beards of my giant enemies when we're having a disagreement:

[​IMG]
    (That's me on the right.)

Here's another one that, at a mere 38 mm, is no doubt hopelessly undersized for my 200 mm / 7 7/8" wrist:

[​IMG]

Anyway, I agree that the Junghans in 34 mm looks better-proportioned in those photos than the 38 mm, especially considering that the dial comprises about 37.5 of them. Good call on going no-date either way; I much prefer that version for the Max Bill. But this stuff is subjective and that's just my opinion.

6 people like this.
  13. mrhelios

mrhelios New Member

I had to make an account when I saw this thread.

[​IMG]

Thoughts on my Franck Muller?
    It's a very polarizing watch, people either strongly love it or strongly hate it from my experience.

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

It sits a little big on your wrist

15. mrhelios

mrhelios New Member

Agreed, I have to get another hole punched in the strap to make it slip less, but the case is a bit large for my wrist regardless.

16. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

This is a beauty. A classic design from 1970's that will always represent the era in its best light. Oh, and the sizing is perfect on your wrist. Don't let others tell you otherwise.

17. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ I'd love to get me an OysterQuartz one day.

18. sepp

sepp Senior member

Those days when I preferred larger watches.

[​IMG]

19. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

:lol: exactly
    My thought is that you are correct.

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

I love that OQ. It's amazing how contemporary the style looks considering its vintage - the mark of truly good design, I think. Is that your GP chrono? I really lust after that case; didn't realise how thick it was until I saw this pic. Most enlightening; thank you.

I shall keep my double space as a classic design quirk of my own vintage. Old dogs have a limited number of new tricks. Anyway, I like the way it looks and find it makes sentences more easily distinguished when reading. Maybe I'm showing my age in that regard too, but I remain firmly in the "both are correct, get over yourself" camp. However, I have to confess to making the "beg the question" mistake all my life. I would like to think of myself as reasonably educated, more than averagely literate, and an inveterate pedant to boot. I am therefore embarrassed by this failing, yet grateful to be made aware.

Now I'm going to another site to see what the prices are on OQs and vintage GP chronos - again. With the latter, I have to say I like the more recent ones too, just for the case - even the non-retro three subdial ones.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.