1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Ugh, 5711, another that doesn't fit my wrist. Considered the 5800 but I think it might still be too big. Are the 3800s still being produced/sold new at ADs?

That Breitlings nice, one of the cleaner and less garish ones out there. With that said, I am not a big fan of that mesh bracelet, the way it it attached to the lugs just looks very aftermarket-ish. I like it when the bracelet are integrated well to the case and the gap in that style of bracelet just doesn't look right to me.

2. eton97

eton97 Senior member

Exactly the same experience I had.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

No, the 3800s have been out of production for several years. You would have to look for a pre-owned model.

4. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

A guy in my office has the "time only" Transocean....silver dial, with the crosshairs. I think it's 42mm.

To me, it looks pretty sharp, as an all-rounder sort of watch. He has only worn it on its original mesh, and he isn't really what I call a watch guy, so it will probably stay that way.

The Breitling bracelet definitely is more finished/polished looking than the brushed "shark mesh" that I got from StrapCode...but I definitely purchased that one as a sporty option.

Those straps in the link that Rooster posted look more than decent for the $$$.

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

How big is your wrist?! Mine is all of 6.25".

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Mine is 6".

I know the 5711 is ~43x38? The 5800 is ~38x33?

I think the 5711 is too big considering the my Monaco at 37x37 is borderline for my wrist. 5800 might work but it's lugs are more squared off, wish I could find one to try on in person.
    [​IMG]

7. eton97

eton97 Senior member

Ummm. It might look big considering the tag. I'll measure my wrist tonight. But I know my wrist is small....I just bought a watch winder and had to order a smaller fitting to hold my watches.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

You definitely need to try them on, as I believe both the 5711 and 5800 are both thinner than your Tag and wear very differently. Your Tag looks a bit boxy. Square watches tend to wear larger than other shapes, and the Nautilus isn't really a square. I don't have a large wrist and I can comfortably wear a 5711 or 5712. I had tried a 5800 on at one point and it felt seemed too small.

The 5711 if you don't count the "ears" is really only about 40 mm. Even Patek's own website described it as 40mm. I think to be at ~43 someone is measuring possibly on a diagonal and including lugs, or they are including the ears, which really do not affect the way it wears. So definitely go and try them all on before you make a decision, if that might be a future purchase.

Edit...just noticed you said your wrist was only 6", which then could make a 5711 feel too big based on where the lugs begin to drop downward and transition into the bracelet.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  9. eton97

eton97 Senior member

My wrist is 6.75 inches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I have almost 7.5" wrists. Here's what an older Air King (34mm) looked like on me...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yeah the 43mm includes the "ears" but that also constitutes to the size of the watch on the wrist. It's 38mm vertically but with the squared off lugs which could easily make it past 40mm. I think the 5800 is a definite possibility though.

[​IMG]

Also, are you guys finding the 5711 sitting in stores? They seem to be selling better than Daytonas despite it's price. Supply is just much, much lower from what I understand.

12. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Would it be gauche to suggest the trusty AP 15202 instead if there are worries about a 5711 having excessive presence?

13. no frills

no frills Senior member

The 5711 blue dial is very, very difficult to find, at least around ADs in NYC. Even pre-owned mint 5711s are trading at close to MSRP of $26,700. Thierry Stern has definitively stated that they intend to limit production of the 5711 blue dial.

I'm not sure if it's easier to find via other ADs in other geographies, but even grey market resellers here in NYC find it difficult to source, and presumably their networks are nationwide.

A NOS / mint pre-owned 5800 is even more challenging to find. Took me a couple of months to find one for a friend (actually, his wife wears it). All the way in Asia, routed through a European AD. But the 5800 is indeed a very nice piece and literally looks like a smaller 5711 (albeit sporting the cal 315 versus the cal 324, if you're interested in all that).

1 person likes this.
  14. no frills

no frills Senior member

My 5711 and the 5800 on the wrist of my friend's wife:

[​IMG]

FWIW my wife's wrist is all of 6" or even slightly smaller and she has no problems wearing my 5711. Or any of my watches, for some reason...

15. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

I have never seen a 5711 just sitting in a dealer's case.

Perhaps if I ever did, I would be forced to pull out a credit card (or two?) and buy it on the spot :D

16. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

I'm still dabbling in the shallower end of the blue-dial pond. Just recently ordered a nachtblau Weltzeit and a brown shell strap from Nomos. Think it's going to be a pretty decent combo.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, when I initially responded I missed the part about your wrist being 6". I don't find the ears affect how it wears, however I can easily see that the position from where the case side/lugss drop off and become the bracelet could fit you more like something beyond 40 mm.

As for availability if 5711s, it just depends on where you are located. I took a trip to Vegas and between the 3 AD's shops (one may have been a branch of one of the others), every Nautilus model was available for sale including the blue dial 5711 and 5712/a. It surprised me to see all of them there, as they are usually tougher to locate at dealers in big cities, like NYC, Chicago, Vegas. However, I've also seen a blue 5711 and a 5712/a sitting in an AD's window in Boston withing the past year or so. That's without actually searching for them.

Supply, of the Nautilus is far lower than the Daytona. Rolex producest far more SS Daytonas as there are more people that can afford to spend $12K on a watch than can afford to spend $26K. Also the current 116250 with in house movement 4130 has been in production for 14 years now, so there are also far more available on the second hand market.

18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

NYC is has some great eye candy, but its generally a tougher place to source watches, particularly at a decent price. NYC seems to have a very high concentration of watch collectors and international travelers who collect watches...so hard to get watches in NYC either sell fast or for top dollar. I've found its not so bad in other places.

At various points when friends mentioned they weren't seeing blue dial 5711s or 5712/As in NYC or other big cities, I had seen them available new at ADs while traveling in other cities in the US.

19. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Omega Male: please post pics whenever it arrives!

20. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yah it's about location, location, location. I've asked in other forums about Daytona stock and most on smaller cities responded that they were sitting in the shelves while those who live in bigger cities like Miami, NY and LA (like myself), it was damn near impossible and I inquired in about 5-7 ADs (half of that I trust) in my area and most has a waitlist. Gearys actually has a 5-6 month waitlist.

Most couldn't believe me and they said it was just hype created by ADs to drive demand and told me to bring a big sack of cash and one will magically appear from the safe. :lol: While I don't doubt that being a practice of some dealers, I find it hard to believe (especially in the the 4 ADs I frequent) that even if I told them that I would pay retail for a Daytona that they would still hold on to it and not sell it to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.