1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Ah. In the meantime, things taste better with super happy fun watch.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

Another appearance by Mr Big Time*

Initially, I was somewhat reluctant to jump on the Big Time bandwagon but after getting a few it seems that I've acclimated quite nicely to the size.

[​IMG]

*A moniker bestowed on me by the folks at the local diner in reference to my extra large pieces.

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I have the opportunity to purchase a Panerai Luminor Marina, edition of /1500, but I have no idea what model it is (markings on the back do not include anything like "pan xyx"). Stainless steel. Leather strap. No box. $3250. No idea about this brand other than the obvious (nice watch). Any idea if this might be a screaming deal, average, or a pass? Any advice appreciated! Gonna hang around this store for another hour or so and check back here before I split...

4. djh

djh Senior member

Pics would help a lot, but there are a LOT of PAM fakes out there. Sounds like a good deal if its real for any model Panerai. If it's a watch you want then get it, otherwise I wouldn't rush into anything.

5. TheNeedMachine

Thank you for your input. Authenticated, guaranteed, and I can return. I'm in no rush; will try to see if I can track down the exact model, and mull it over for a bit. You're right - no hurry. Regards.

6. TheNeedMachine

On the back: OP 6834. BB1451154 (ser #). No 555/ 1500 (edition). Not finding that OP 6834 except for the special editions Miami Las Vegas etc, which this is not. Edit: appears this is perhaps the PAM 005. I'm gonna pass on it...thanks again!

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

So it had the OP logo on the dial and a solid case back? While one of the lowest priced Panerais, the PAM 005 is one of the best Luminors IMO.

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

OP6834 is the case style number. There are likely several specific PAM models which share that case.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  9. TheNeedMachine

Hiya - yes it had the OP logo on front, solid case back.

Pretty new to this, thank you for the additional info. Wasn't in the market for a watch- just saw it and only knew it was a desirable brand. Going to keep my eyes peeled for something more suitable on my skinny wrist (that thing was a behemoth).

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Now this is a Rolex I would like to have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Via Martin Kaymer's Twitter.

I'm wondering if every player get one. If so, what would Rory and Sergio do to their watches, since they are sponsored by Omega?

Rory was sporting his Aqua Terra when he ended his singles match.

11. jorijori

jorijori Well-Known Member

Triedandtrue, thank you for your comments about Jomashop.

RogerP, it is a Tudor Black Bay blue which I think is value for money, Rolex quality for 1/3 of the price.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. mimo

mimo Senior member

I really like the Black Bay,but I'd take issue with "Rolex quality for a third of the price": firstly, it's not the same quality in that it's not the same movement, and just the difference in weight and sharpness of finishing tells a story. And secondly, at list price, the Black Bay is half the price of a basic Submariner, not a third, or over two thirds of an Oyster Perpetual. Sure, the BB can be found at a discount, but then Rolex has a world of mint used options too.

Don't get me wrong - I find the Black Bay extremely desirable, and worth the money. But I'd be wary of getting one instead of a Rolex. It would feel like an inadequate and imperfect substitute. Instead, I think it's worth getting one only if you love it in its own right, for its differences from a Submariner or Explorer, not its similarities.

Of course, the standard SF enabling motto applies: get both.

2 people like this.
  13. jorijori

jorijori Well-Known Member

Hi Mimo, I stand corrected. You are right, not the same movement hence quality. For the price, if price list then it's half, in gray market you can get BB for around $2500.

14. mimo

mimo Senior member

And I must say, it's certainly calling to me!

15. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

not if i could get that langematik for 6k :D

16. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Wore my Hamilton on a morning hike. Realized I need to buy a cheapo sport watch for this sort of thing.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

IIRC Tudor doesn't use 904L steel either.

18. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Why?

19. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

Hiking is one of those activities that can ding up a watch.

20. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I figure they'd just keep it like in the back of the closet, display it as a trophy or just wear it in anything that isn't an event? I don't think Omega requires them to wear nothing but Omega all the time, do they?

When it comes to shoes, Wade for instance is signed to a Chinese company Li-Ning but on his off days he still wears Nikes and Jordans.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.