1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Could I get a preowned Sub for that price range? Everywhere I looked online, I was looking at somewhere between $6000-7500 for a preowned (ceramic) black Submariner date (116610LN). I really like the black Submariner, and have that on my list of watches to get after med school, along with a RG JLC Master Control, and the white/blue IWC Port (and a Rose Gold Calatrava and a Rose Gold/black face Daytona as grails). But if I could get the Sub for closer to my price range, fuck yeah I would over the Seamaster every day of the week!

2. tricky

tricky Senior member

Just checked the receipt and there was a $39 FedEx fee. I can't remember if I had to pay anything extra but I don't think I did.

1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

:lurk:

As long as you are ok with a little bit of an older date, you can find them in the 3-4k range. My brother just got one, and I love it. Kinda jelly really.

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG] Definitely, my favorite round JLC! What a beauty!.

As for Daytonas, yes I didn't like the endlinks on the strap model I had. If you buy a bracelet Daytona you can always put it on a strap, but if you buy a strap Daytona with those odd integrated end links you can't add a bracelet at a later date.

Congrats to the Mrs. Culverwood! Pre-owned ladies watches can be a great value, especially jewelry models.

Ladies watches have never reached the same level of collectibility as mens watches have. Not as many women collect watches. In addition, they often prefer traditional jewelry to watches, so the market for pre-owned ladies pieces isn't very strong.

IMHO, nix the Tourneau brand watches, unless you truly love them. Tourneau branded watches were never anything significant in terms of quality or their movements. Their original MSRPs didn't mean very much. Most times those got marked down. The pricing at best is because they are gold, but again.. for that kind of money you can buy a much better watch from brands others have mentioned, or Omega, Breitling, or Rolex if it doesn't have to be German. Good luck.

5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I paid about 10% in tax and duties on my Stowa.

If I recall Stowa offers a risk free transport option that covers all tax and duties but it would have cost more.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. tricky

tricky Senior member

Thanks for clarifying - I couldn't remember at all.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Next month is my birthday so there is an excuse... :sly:

1 person likes this.
  8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Yissssss

---

Ladies models are the worst. It is about 20 times is hard to sell a standard ladies steel Datejust on an oyster bracelet as it is a comparable men's model, and you won't even get near the same amount of money.

9. chanoch

chanoch Well-Known Member

Thanks, again, really appreciate the advice. Will see if I can find some of the brands mentioned here locally to try them on and see how they feel.

10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

@Krish the Fish - I will give my bit of advice, thought it's been about 10 years or so since medical school. It's a great idea to get a nice watch (within reason), as sometimes on cold, lonely call days and call nights, it'll be a source of comfort. Silly as it sounds, if you appreciate watches, then there's something about having that extra smile on your wrist on the end of a 48 hours shift (though they don't do that anymore, do they?). I guess your first few years you'll be buried in a book, so a nice watch will be a good diversion albeit for a few seconds here and there.

at 3k - I think the speedy is a great call. Takes a beating, you can switch it onto straps for your more formal medical school rotations (clinics, presentations etc), and stick it on a bracelet for the blood and gore and pus. Washes right out of the links, trust me. A speedy also dresses up/down well for life outside of school.

Think of something that will get you through residency too. The speedy and certainly the rolex will get you through just fine. I like the Seamaster well enough too. The Omega Aqua terra 2nd hand might make a good alternative.

Another option - go SINN. Several very versatile models at half your price point. Plus brand new.

Good luck and congrats! Remember there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

R

1 person likes this.
  11. chanoch

Any thoughts on Meistersinger? The Pangaea looks really intriguing, and the idea of a single-hand watch somehow appeals to me. But I haven't seen any reviews of their fit and finish or overall reliability, accuracy, etc. The bands look pretty weak, too, which is not encouraging for what looks like a fine watch. The inverted fermata also grates a bit -- not sure why they would make a point of inverting it, but that's a nit if the watches are good. Grateful for your thoughts ...

12. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Thanks for all the advice everyone, a lot to think about which is what I wanted!

13. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Nothing special about them. They slap in an ETA or Sellita movement into a case they see fit and charge for it. I have an ETA watch that is pretty reliable though the workhorse 2824 movement.

Since you are going down this path of a different watch than the "usual suspects" we discuss here, make sure the movement is not unique to the brand, if from a smaller watchmaker. The last thing you want is a watch from a small watchmaker who goes under and the watch breaks. Pieces will be hard to find and then you'd have to find someone to fix it at who knows what cost. It could end up being more of a headache reminder of your uncle than something you enjoy.

14. 518aata

518aata Senior member

Here are our Cartier watches. Mine, which I've posted before, is the Tank Francaise. My wife has an older tank, and a Tonneau in white gold. Not sure of the model name of the tank, but it's a manual wind with a domed crystal. She had wanted the Baignoire with diamonds, but then saw the Tonneau and thought it would be more versatile.

[​IMG]

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

Fantastic discussion of late and broad range of watchmakers represented. Love it.

@mimo - the 175th Patek anniversary auction c/o Christie's is unlikely to feature any bargain deals. I'll take a look at some of the lots when they are shown in NYC and take pics for you.

Today, on a business trip:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. chanoch

Got it. Good advice about the small manufacturers. Point taken. Really grateful for all the solid advice from you and everyone else, and looking forward to trying on some of the watches suggested here. Will be a bit before the executor does his thing, but will let you know what I get when I do. Thanks, again! Great board ...

17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Nice grouping of Cartiers. The Tank appears to be a "Louis Cartier Tank." There have been different sizes over the years. This is the model that often comes to mind for most people when you refer to a Carteir "Tank."

18. Keller

Keller Senior member

I really like the latest Longines, I think they are great models with a good price. I recently got the Evidenza Chrono.

19. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Been wearing this all week and just stealing wrist time away from others.
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  20. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Send the Daytona up to me for safekeeping. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.