1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Senior member

In other news, I actually bought something: old watch, new boots, courtesy of Hadley Roma and an American reptile, may it rest in peace:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

This photo has been posted in this thread before by Kaplan and possibly others, but it seems like it's custom-made for the three-kilobuxx medical-student's-watch answer:

[​IMG]
    photo credit: uhrenbilder.blogspot.com

Rationale:

• No upgrade-itis (you'll likely continue to enjoy wearing it regardless of what you get in the future)
    • Classic, non-trendy design (arguably even gets better with age)
    • Simple and understated (I'm appreciating these characteristics more and more for an everyday watch)
    • Low-maintenance and reliable (as good as it gets for a mechanical movement, IMHO)
    • Top watch for versatility

Other viable options include Nomos (they're all good, though the lack of a bracelet option might be a drawback for your intended use), and the Speedmaster (it's plenty water-resistant for anything short of technical diving). There's nothing really wrong with a Seamaster, but I wouldn't want to be limited to a diver's watch as my only option, and I'm personally not a big fan of their modern-era designs, since they tend to look dated fast. Also, Omega's heavy-handed Bond-film paid product placement kinda ruins them for me (I'm vain like that).

I could probably think of a few other options, but honestly, they'd be also-rans as an everyday watch compared a well-looked-after steel Datejust. It's a no-excuses watch, and spending more won't necessarily get you something better for your circumstances.

Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Here are my rose gold chronos (again, sorry about spamming). The JLC is dressier than the Daytona, but def an alternative to consider. No tachy bezel and the silver dial moves it quite far into the "dress" category, but the 40mm case and thinkness makes it sporty enough for casual wear. The AP ROC is quite sporty, especially if you put it on a rubber strap like I've done. A fantastic alternative.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did consider the Daytona on a strap, but it didn't quite resonate with me. Something about the "strap and endlinks"-thing ...

If you want a "racing chrono" in gold, I would consider an older (but not necessarily vintage) Daytona on a bracelet, like Dino's. The cool thing is that they look awsome on a regular strap, no endlinks! I can't find a picture of a solid gold one right now, but here is a two-tone on a strap:

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  4. chanoch

chanoch Well-Known Member

Thanks for your thoughts. In terms of budget, the executor told me that I'd be inheriting about $2500-4000, so it's not a huge legacy but enough for a nice watch to remember them by. Really grateful for suggestions. As you can see, I have fairly wide tastes in art. But I also have a strong preference for leather bands rather than metal bracelets. And for some reason I have a hard time reading watches with black faces (or dark brown, midnight blue, etc.), even though I find them visually attractive. Really like the Nomos Metro and even the Tangente with the power reserve; like the Meistersingers as a concept, especially the Perigraph. In terms of size, anything up to 40mm, as I have a fairly small wrist.

Very much appreciate suggestions, as I would really like to get something distinctive to remember them by.

5. tricky

tricky Senior member

For 3-4k I'd go with a Speedmaster or Black Bay and pick up a variety of straps for swapping.

Both have black faces though. If you're willing to go used you can likely get an Explorer 1....black face again but very legible.

6. tricky

tricky Senior member

NonServiam, that rose gold JLC is incredible!

7. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I just bought this Jaeger LeCoultre for my wife, an example of what good value second hand jewellery watches are.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. mimo

mimo Senior member

@Krish the Fish Good call on the Black Bay - buy it on the bracelet and get a strap or two to swap in. I think for a younger guy who's not confined to strict business dress, it's a beauty. I like the idea of the Speedmaster too - maybe the date/day-date with the silver dial and polished bezel, which I think make it a bit more subtle for dress use i.e. no sporty contrast in the dial. If you like Omega, I think it might be worth going up a notch to the Aqua Terra, personally. But if you don't mind used, then I agree with Belligero: a vintage DateJust or Oyster Perpetual is a design classic that will always look good in any situation.

@chanoch I think you might take a look at the standard Nomos Orion: 35mm sounds small, but the long lugs make it wear bigger, I'm told, and to put that into perspective, the Omega in my pic is the same size, and my wrist is just over 7" i.e. pretty average. The Orion has such a clean, classic Bauhaus design and the proportions are perfect I think. It's also a little under your minimum price there. I love the Zurich for the same reasons, but I suspect the 40mm size plus the lugs will sit strangely on a smaller wrist, and that's at the top of your range, too. Depending on the style you like, I think Nomos is king for something simple and formal, but a chronograph or something else more sporty while still on a strap, gives you lots of options from Muehle, Union or Tutima. If you'll consider used, then you might just about find something interesting and vintage from Glashuette Original, or even something quirky from the Communist era. Or, if you don't want to spend all your dough, there's always Stowa or Sinn for great value.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  9. tricky

tricky Senior member

Yeah here's what you can score for under $1000.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

I attend a fair number of auctions and women's watches in general seem to languish.

11. mimo

mimo Senior member

Yeah. My beloved, by coincidence, has just sent me this link, with the comment "very pretty"...I'm wondering if she should marry Frilly.

12. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Nice link from Mrs. Mimo :slayer:

13. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Dude, you're killing me . . .

14. chanoch

Thanks for these very helpful suggestions. The Stowa also interested me, and that's how I started thinking about the Nomos, which is very similar in style but from what I've read perhaps a bit better in quality. I do like it. The Sinn Classics are nice, but the 36 may be a bit small and the 42-44s are too big -- and not as interesting as the Nomos, I think, though just as clean looking. Appreciate the tip about the size of the lugs on the Nomos watches, as I was wondering about that. I have to find someplace to try one on, which hasn't been easy.

Do you (or anyone here) know anything about the quality of those two offbeat used Tourneau watches I mentioned? I found out that they listed for $5K when they came out 12 or so years ago. Even with the hike in gold prices, $4K sounds high to me for a used watch, unless the movement is something really special.

15. chanoch

Thanks for the suggestions. Have a really hard time with the black face watches, as much as I like the look in the showroom. Probably the gray hair problem affecting my night vision ... can't seem to persuade my optometrist that my eyes are getting older they're getting better.

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Krish, that Rolex that Belli offered is a great option, so is the Nomos. Id also consider a pre-owned Sub.

NS - Damn. Just. Damn.

17. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

All these rose gold talk and pics...

... I thought I was gon' be done for the year...

:confused:

:brick:

1 person likes this.
  18. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Beautiful Stowa!

If I can ask, how much does the customs charged you? Or there wasn't a customs hit?

19. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I have a rose gold Zenith I could give you a great deal on.
    haha

20. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

All logic is thrown out here in TWAT. Frilly went from no dive watches to 5 in 2014.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.